Bikram yoga

Options
does anybody ACTUALLY know the average amount of calories burned during a 90 minute class? I'm currently 6 months pregnant, and I weigh 145. So, I know that normally weighing 130ish I would burn a different amount.----would that also mean I'm burning more because I'm pregnant? Or less? I don't sit out anything... Modify a few poses that are needed.

NOT lookin for anyone's opinion. I have been practicing for awhile. I just always read so much different opinions on calorie burn for it.
Some say it's only about 300cal per 60minute. But I also read that sitting in a sauna can burn up to 300 cal in 30 minutes? So wouldn't it be more of I were actually exercising in the same heat? For 3x longer!! Lol

Thanks!!

Replies

• ashleyking3194
    ashleyking3194 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The heat likely won't make the calorie burn higher, but that type of yoga will burn about 350ish calories in a 90 minute session. And yes, you will burn more calories while weighing more. If you think about it, if you're normall 130 lbs and now are 145 lbs, it's like doing everything you normally do while holding 15lb weights in your hands. It takes more energy to move more weight. The good news, however, is that even though you're not burning as many as you would like, you're still getting your heart rate up very high and so you're still getting an excellent "cardio" workout in the sense that your heart is still getting the exercise it needs. Yay!
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    5'5 175 and wore my heart rate monitor and it said i burned 660 cals.
  • lexii721
    lexii721 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It should burn just about the same amount of calories as doing yoga in a non-heated room. A HRM in a yoga class is not likely to be very accurate.