Just started my diet...

Options
So, I am getting ready to join the Air Force, I have started to do some small exercises to help build up my stamina, and Fitness Pal has me eating 1200 calories a day. At first I was thinking everything was going great, and I know it takes a while to see a difference, but I can tell that I am eating less and not as hungry, my muscles are hurting, but when I got on the scale this morning it turns out that I gained six pounds. Everyone tell me not to worry about it, but with how much I weight I can get denied entry to the Air Force due to my weight.

Right now any information or encouragement would be helpful.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well if you just started exercising, your body will retain water. Additionally, stuff like sodium (thank you taco bell, lol) can affect water weight. Eating foods high in potassium and magnesium, can help offset some water weight. And drinking plenty of water can help flush some of the sodium.

Also, do you use a food scale? And do you realized when you workout, you are supposed to eat more calories right?
  • KristiPadgett
    KristiPadgett Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't use a food scale, I was going to go out and buy one today actually.

I also know that I need to eat more calories when I workout, but really I don't know how much more I should eat. Right now I'm dealing with the fact that I use to only eat dinner and I would skip lunch and breakfast. I'm changing a lot of bad habits right now and the whole Air Force thing stresses me out a little bit and when I feel stress I use to snack, A LOT, and now with the diet when I feel stress I just want to go eat fatty junk food, like Taco Bell. One reason why I did eat Taco Bell last night is because I felt stress about the weight gain instead of loss. But after eating it I felt so bad about it and it felt gross in my stomach. So I know I'm making good changes, it's just I slip up every now and then. :\
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Not only will exercise stress your muscles and help you retain water, but your diet will also do that. Taco Bell food is high in sodium, and sodium will help your body retain water. Pizza is another high in sodium food. There are many foods that do this, seafood, canned foods, chips, etc. Don't get too stressed over water weight. Your body will pass it.
    Buy the food scale, keep going with your work outs, calculate your calorie deficit, and stick to it. You will lose the weight. when you work out, add those calories in and eat most of them back so you are still eating at your deficit. Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So, I am getting ready to join the Air Force, I have started to do some small exercises to help build up my stamina, and Fitness Pal has me eating 1200 calories a day. At first I was thinking everything was going great, and I know it takes a while to see a difference, but I can tell that I am eating less and not as hungry, my muscles are hurting, but when I got on the scale this morning it turns out that I gained six pounds. Everyone tell me not to worry about it, but with how much I weight I can get denied entry to the Air Force due to my weight.

Right now any information or encouragement would be helpful.

You are right about being denied if you are over the weight limit. I saw a girl there when I was being sworn in who got sent home for being one pound over. Make sure you're at least 10 pounds under the limit just incase. I did that and I was just 4 under when they measured me. I guess the scales were different. The upside is that as soon as they record your weight, you can eat whatever you want.

• KristiPadgett
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Not only will exercise stress your muscles and help you retain water, but your diet will also do that. Taco Bell food is high in sodium, and sodium will help your body retain water. Pizza is another high in sodium food. There are many foods that do this, seafood, canned foods, chips, etc. Don't get too stressed over water weight. Your body will pass it.
    Buy the food scale, keep going with your work outs, calculate your calorie deficit, and stick to it. You will lose the weight. when you work out, add those calories in and eat most of them back so you are still eating at your deficit. Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Thank you so much! I feel as if I was not very educated about all of this until after reading that post. I'm going to start weighting EVERYTHING, and just keep at it. I know that I can't just lose this weight over night, but I get discourage very easily.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I also know that I need to eat more calories when I workout, but really I don't know how much more I should eat. Right now I'm dealing with the fact that I use to only eat dinner and I would skip lunch and breakfast. I'm changing a lot of bad habits right now and the whole Air Force thing stresses me out a little bit and when I feel stress I use to snack, A LOT, and now with the diet when I feel stress I just want to go eat fatty junk food, like Taco Bell. One reason why I did eat Taco Bell last night is because I felt stress about the weight gain instead of loss. But after eating it I felt so bad about it and it felt gross in my stomach. So I know I'm making good changes, it's just I slip up every now and then. :\

I was inferring taco bell for the sodium, not the "fatty foods". All foods can be in moderation. The idea is, to eat a variety of foods within a specific caloric amount. If you want taco bell (or my obsession is Chipolte), just do so within your limits.

But we can start a bit simple. What is your height, weight, age, and workout routine? What is the timeframe to get ready for the AF? There are a few ways to cheat the system... 2 weeks before your weight in, we can set you up on a low carb diet. This will deplete glycogen/water, so you can make sure you are under.
  • KristiPadgett
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I was inferring taco bell for the sodium, not the "fatty foods". All foods can be in moderation. The idea is, to eat a variety of foods within a specific caloric amount. If you want taco bell (or my obsession is Chipolte), just do so within your limits.

But we can start a bit simple. What is your height, weight, age, and workout routine? What is the timeframe to get ready for the AF? There are a few ways to cheat the system... 2 weeks before your weight in, we can set you up on a low carb diet. This will deplete glycogen/water, so you can make sure you are under.

I have never ate at Chipolte, but I have heard it is waaaayyy better than Taco Bell!

I have to go to MEPS at the end of the month, my recruiter is pretty positive that I will pass the weight and tape, but basic will be probably October/November. I am currently, 5'6 (without shoes), 165, 23, and I am TRYING to get in 30 minutes of workout every other day. This includes walking, running, situps, pushups, squats, jumping jacks, and some other military PT (husband was a Combat Medic in the Army and he is helping me out a lot and he is also my biggest motivation since most of my family isn't happy about me joining).
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My quick Google search concluded the max weight is 170. Be sure not to have too much salt when it gets close to going to MEPS.

Also, it may be different than it was for me 16 years ago in the Army, but even if those that met weight or tape but did not meet some other fitness test requirements, got sent to Fat Camp when they arrived at basic. That sucked.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have never ate at Chipolte, but I have heard it is waaaayyy better than Taco Bell!

I have to go to MEPS at the end of the month, my recruiter is pretty positive that I will pass the weight and tape, but basic will be probably October/November. I am currently, 5'6 (without shoes), 165, 23, and I am TRYING to get in 30 minutes of workout every other day. This includes walking, running, situps, pushups, squats, jumping jacks, and some other military PT (husband was a Combat Medic in the Army and he is helping me out a lot and he is also my biggest motivation since most of my family isn't happy about me joining).

What is the target weight you have to hit? And essentially, you have 2 weeks to hit it?

And yes chipotle blows taco bell out of the water.

• KristiPadgett
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    My quick Google search concluded the max weight is 170. Be sure not to have too much salt when it gets close to going to MEPS.

Also, it may be different than it was for me 16 years ago in the Army, but even if those that met weight or tape but did not meet some other fitness test requirements, got sent to Fat Camp when they arrived at basic. That sucked.

They do in the Army, but I'm not sure about Air Force. I'm good on my sit-ups and run, but I'm sucking at my push-ups.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

They do in the Army, but I'm not sure about Air Force. I'm good on my sit-ups and run, but I'm sucking at my push-ups.

For the Air Force, you HAVE to meet the weight or you can't go. You have 7ish weeks during basic training to get your numbers up (push-ups, sit-ups, run). If they notice you're not doing fantastic, you might go to the 319th (fit flight) to work on that more.

But you are doing push-ups all day long for weeks there. You don't have to be amazing at them now. You just have to pass the weight.
  • KristiPadgett
    Options

What is the target weight you have to hit? And essentially, you have 2 weeks to hit it?

My overall target weight is 135ish, I need to stay under 170 to pass MEPS and then for basic I would like to be at least under 160 and closer to the 155 range. If possible I would like to lose as much as possible, but I'll be honest I never had a problem of being overweight or anything like that before I had kids. So I don't know much about losing weight, what a safe number would be or anything like. The important thing for me is that I can pass my PT test in the Air Force which is my run time >=16:22, push-ups >=18reps for one minute, sit-ups >= 38 reps for one minute.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My overall target weight is 135ish, I need to stay under 170 to pass MEPS and then for basic I would like to be at least under 160 and closer to the 155 range. If possible I would like to lose as much as possible, but I'll be honest I never had a problem of being overweight or anything like that before I had kids. So I don't know much about losing weight, what a safe number would be or anything like. The important thing for me is that I can pass my PT test in the Air Force which is my run time >=16:22, push-ups >=18reps for one minute, sit-ups >= 38 reps for one minute.

Oh ok. I would pick up a food scale, try to focus on nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies, proteins and whole grains) and log daily. If you need exercise suggestion, fitnessblender.com is a good place to start. Personally, I would eat 1500 calories, but if you are going aggressive, i would lower carbs a bit and increase protein and fats.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Oh ok. I would pick up a food scale, try to focus on nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies, proteins and whole grains) and log daily. If you need exercise suggestion, fitnessblender.com is a good place to start. Personally, I would eat 1500 calories, but if you are going aggressive, i would lower carbs a bit and increase protein and fats.
  • KristiPadgett
    Options

Thank you for the information!! I'm checking out fitnessblender.com right now and it looks great! And I think I will make those adjustments to my diet and I am going out to get my food scale now! :) Thank you so so so much for all this information!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Thank you so much! I feel as if I was not very educated about all of this until after reading that post. I'm going to start weighting EVERYTHING, and just keep at it. I know that I can't just lose this weight over night, but I get discourage very easily.

You are quite welcome. It can be discouraging, but remember you are on a journey. There is no destination, just a road of goals and learning to change your thinking. You're halfway there with your thinking, you can do it!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No problem. Once you get past basic if you want a more structured plan, check out the new rulea of lifting for woman, strong curves 5x5, or stronglift 5x5. Great starter programs.