Abnormal weight gain that won't come off!

Options
I'm a 23 year old female and currently active duty in the Army. I work out 3-5 days a week and I eat probably 75% clean at all times. I've been limiting my calorie intake to approx. 1200 calories a day, while burning about 2200 a day. I am 5'3 and always teetered between 120-125. I am 135 right now and cannot lose it for the life of me! My hair is also thinning, I'm extremely tired all the time and nauseated. I'm getting random pimples that I've never had before, and a ton of joint pain and only using the bathroom 2-3 times a week. Help!

Replies

• halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You need to increase your calories. 1200 calories is nowhere near enough especially considering how much you are burning. Be kind to your body
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    starbritee wrote: »
    I'm a 23 year old female and currently active duty in the Army. I work out 3-5 days a week and I eat probably 75% clean at all times. I've been limiting my calorie intake to approx. 1200 calories a day, while burning about 2200 a day. I am 5'3 and always teetered between 120-125. I am 135 right now and cannot lose it for the life of me! My hair is also thinning, I'm extremely tired all the time and nauseated. I'm getting random pimples that I've never had before, and a ton of joint pain and only using the bathroom 2-3 times a week. Help!

Thinning hair, extreme fatigue and nausea, not using the bathroom.... my first thought is you need to eat.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP your deficit is too aggressive.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Eat more (at least 1/2 of your exercise calories back). You aren't eating enough.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Strange. All of your symptoms point to not getting enough nutrients, but you don't gain weight in a calorie deficit.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thinning hair, extreme fatigue and nausea, not using the bathroom.... my first thought is you need to eat.

Seconded. Those are all signs of undernurishment. Keeping your calorie intake down will help with weight loss, but making sure you're getting your nutrients is what will help you stay healthy. It's hard to do that on the deficit you think you're achieving every day.

Unfortunately, your logging activity is spotty, at best, so there's no way for us to give you informed opinions otherwise.

If you think you are eating enough, then you need to speak with your doctor. Hair loss, fatigue, and nausea may also be signs of a more significant medical problem.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1200 calories per day? How are you calculating that (are you weighing, measuring, etc.)?

In general, eating fewer calories than you burn is how you lose weight but keep in mind that it doesn't always happen immediately.

At the same time, there is absolutely no reason for you to be eating 1200 calories per day, especially while that active. That is how you get burnt out and injure yourself and create a whole host of problems. Fill out your MFP profile to lose 1/2 pound a week and then eat that plus whatever exercise calories you log. If you cannot bring yourself to eat all of the exercise calories, eat at least 50% and then reevaluate after a month.
  • bloomgirl96
    bloomgirl96 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked. Weight gain, thinning hair, fatigue, and constipation are all symptoms of hypothyroidism. The exact symptoms I deal with when my dosage is off. Good luck!
  • Mollymoog
    Mollymoog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you need fibre in your diet, this comes from whole fruit and veg (not smoothies or juices as they have already broken down the fibre). What is your definition of clean?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you are eating? Your diary shows you aren't logging regularly.
  • starbritee
    starbritee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful responses. As far as not eating enough goes, I was only following what MFP told me I should be eating :( I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now, but I've had the weight gain and other problems for about 6 months. Although I've only started being consistent with this app, I really don't eat a whole lot to begin with. I get sick to my stomach very easily, so I have to stick with simple, small meals.
  • Bunny81s
    Bunny81s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Whoa!!!! Sounds like Hypothyroidism!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Go get some blood work done. If you're really running at that deficit you'd be losing weight and pretty fast too. It's not abnormal to only have BMs a couple times a week- are you staying hydrated? Based on your symptoms have them check your thyroid and possibly hormone levels. Some birth controls can bind to certain thyroid hormones so you may need to evaluate that as well if you take hormonal contraception. Are you pregnant? Lol my sister was very constipated, lost hair, and broke out when she was newly pregnant.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Two things

Check with your doctor ( thyrod issue maybe)
    Or you are under eating so much that your body is not getting enough nutrition back.

1200 is not much and not eating your exercise calories back makes it only worse.

But it can be both or one of those or even something totally different.
    Go see a doctor.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thyroid.. I had strange symptoms and suddenly started gaining weight and losing hair. I found at one point a fist full in my exercise bra. I'd stop exercise and get a blood test asap. I at one point exercised more , started running 3 miles a day and put on 20 pounds in a matter of weeks. Very dangerous and the weight once put on is almost impossible to get rid of .. the doctor btw accused me of over eating so get a 2nd opinion. I ended up having to get a rush deal on a prescription as my thyroid was incredibly blown by the time if was discovered. 10 years later I never lost the weight. I was also tired all the time, hair falling out, weight gain.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor.

+1

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a doctor visit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Consider seeing a doctor. It would be the smart thing to do.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Don't mess with your health.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Go see a doctor. Don't ask for medical advice from random internet weirdos.