Shopping at a Regular store

Options
Bshmerlie
Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
So for the first time in 15 years I went to the mall and went to a regular clothing store. It wasn't Plus Size or Women's with a capital W. It was just a regular clothing store with regular size people walking around. And I tried on some pants and some shorts.....and they fit. Yes I did have to find a store that had 16s (did you know many stores stop at 12 or 14). Anyways the 16s fit. I tried on pants and shorts and they fit. I didn't have to squeeze into them....they fit great. Some were a little snug but most that I tried on fit great. It felt awesome. I bought three pairs of shorts but not any pants because us Southern Californian's don't wear pants in the summer time. :) By the time winter rolls around I will probably be in 14s. :) Now it does help I have broad shoulders and big boobs so I carry a lot of my weight there which allows me to fit into smaller pants at my weight. But I'll take these little wins. I strarted out at 254 pounds and was wearing size 22-24 pants. I have been so tired of shopping in plus size clothing stores. Wearing my size 22 shorts was getting rediculous. I've only lost 37 pounds so far and I've got a long way to go, but it does show that all the effort we are putting into it, all the time on the treadmill, all the time lifting weights and doing situps all that is paying off. I am super diligent with weighing and logging my food and I'm finally seeing the results beyond just the scale. And it feels good. For all of you out there who are just starting just keep at it. Don't stop, don't give up, don't make excuses, don't kid yourself, just keep going. I've been doing this for just over three months and so can you. Here is some inspiration....use it.

For me it was getting into regular size clothes...What are you looking forward to?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to shop on regular stores, but am waiting until I have a little room in the Size 10s to do it, I want to be sure that I can buy something in any store I find.

My #1 goal is always health. It drives every part of what I do. But the vanity thing is not something I'm without and I like looking better. Being a person with a normal BMI who buys clothes in a normal store is going to be a huge accomplishment.

I think I'm going to feel a little like an imposter, though. It's like all the stores have had signs up saying "You don't belong here" for so long that I'm a little trepidatious, lol.

Congratulations and good for you!!! You should be very proud. :)
  • clee0869
    clee0869 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration bshmerlie...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Way to get it!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    WOOT! Good for you!
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Yay! I had a similar experience today. Went dress shopping for an upcoming wedding, and tried on a bunch of size 14 dresses. I really expected that I would need a size 16 still, but nope! I found one that looked pretty great! My only issue is that I'm nursing my 10 month old, so my chest is way out of proportion to the rest of me still. Some of the current styles don't lend themselves well to those of us with large chests apparently!

I'm really looking forward to buying some nice work clothes. I've never really had a good "business" wardrobe, and I think it's about time!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you. I'm also top heavy so it's going to be a little while before I'm gonna be able to go down to regular size shirts. I was even an XL when I was 125 pounds in college. When I'm real close to goal weight I might consider a breast reduction surgery. At least yours will get smaller on their own post breast feeding baby.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

Right now, I have the problem that I don't know where to shop anymore. Where I used to shop just doesn't work for me and my new body anymore. I get so frustrated, that I just give up. I want shopping to be fun again, but I need to figure out where to shop!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'd have to say, that was one of my moments of excitement too. I'd been skirting the line between plus size and regular for a long time, as I was on a plateau. I was getting so sick of running from one end of the store to the other depending on the brand and type of pants I was looking for.

Then one day, I went to go buy some work pants and jeans - and realized I was finding everything I needed from the regular department. It was such a relief!

The next moment will come from officially weighing less than I did in high school. That's only 10 lbs away. That moment is going to be so surreal!
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

Right now, I have the problem that I don't know where to shop anymore. Where I used to shop just doesn't work for me and my new body anymore. I get so frustrated, that I just give up. I want shopping to be fun again, but I need to figure out where to shop!
    I am between wearing Plus sizes and regular sizes right now, so I feel your pain. I am mostly wearing a size 16-18, down from a 24 - 26 a year ago. I have lost 94 pounds. I went shopping at Ross' yesterday and found I could wear an XL in their ladies department in tops but not in pants. So for now I am going to department stores that have both a ladies and a Plus size department. The problem is the large variation you can find in different brands and styles of clothes! I had gotten into a rut wth an online Plus Size store. I was comfortable with their sizing, which did run a bit large. Now I can still wear some things from them (they go down to a M in some things, but their M is equal to a L in other stores), but I am tryng to find stuff at local stores, too. I can no longer wear clothes from Catherine's, my favorite Plus Size brick and mortar store.

I agree that it will be more fun when I am down to an easy size 12 - 14.
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    So for the first time in 15 years I went to the mall and went to a regular clothing store. It wasn't Plus Size or Women's with a capital W. It was just a regular clothing store with regular size people walking around. And I tried on some pants and some shorts.....and they fit. Yes I did have to find a store that had 16s (did you know many stores stop at 12 or 14). Anyways the 16s fit. I tried on pants and shorts and they fit. I didn't have to squeeze into them....they fit great. Some were a little snug but most that I tried on fit great. It felt awesome. I bought three pairs of shorts but not any pants because us Southern Californian's don't wear pants in the summer time. :) By the time winter rolls around I will probably be in 14s. :) Now it does help I have broad shoulders and big boobs so I carry a lot of my weight there which allows me to fit into smaller pants at my weight. But I'll take these little wins. I strarted out at 254 pounds and was wearing size 22-24 pants. I have been so tired of shopping in plus size clothing stores. Wearing my size 22 shorts was getting rediculous. I've only lost 37 pounds so far and I've got a long way to go, but it does show that all the effort we are putting into it, all the time on the treadmill, all the time lifting weights and doing situps all that is paying off. I am super diligent with weighing and logging my food and I'm finally seeing the results beyond just the scale. And it feels good. For all of you out there who are just starting just keep at it. Don't stop, don't give up, don't make excuses, don't kid yourself, just keep going. I've been doing this for just over three months and so can you. Here is some inspiration....use it.

For me it was getting into regular size clothes...What are you looking forward to?

Congratualtions!
  • Wontgiveuponme
    Wontgiveuponme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Way to go...
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I'm looking forward to wearing this one adorable shirt that I bought 3 years ago and have never been able to wear!
  • sunnyazgirl
    Options
    I was actually just able to do that! I had bought a swimsuit 10 years ago, and never got rid of it because I liked it so much. I went on a cruise in May and it was a perfect fit. I got a lot of compliments on it. Several people asked me where I gotten it. I told them where I had purchased it, but also told them that I would be very surprised if they could find it there. o:)