How long does it take your body to "catch up"?

Options
I'm guessing, for example, that if I did a great workout and ate really well one day, my body won't magically lose the relevant fat reserves instantly, they would take time to be processed and burned off (I know they'd be minimal for one good day anyway) - so say if you had a really great week calorie-wise and workout-wise - how long does it take your body to "catch up" and lose the pounds that you've burnt?

I know I'm wording this really clumsily but hopefully you know what I mean!

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    For me? one to two weeks.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking - I gain a little water weight when I have an awesome workout. If I have several in a row, it compounds it a bit. So, for me, it's how ever long it takes to shed that. (Typically 3 days minimum, 7 days maximum).
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking - I gain a little water weight when I have an awesome workout. If I have several in a row, it compounds it a bit. So, for me, it's how ever long it takes to shed that. (Typically 3 days minimum, 7 days maximum).

I'm about the same - it usually takes 3-4 days for me and I retain water after a lot of exercise. This past Saturday, I did 20,000+ steps (just walking around the zoo) and had a higher than usual deficit. Sunday morning, I had gained half a pound. This morning, I am down a pound.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thanks guys that's really useful :) I guess it must be different for everyone
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's quite frustrating at times. I work out mon-fri (4 days heavy lifting). It can be hard to judge due to water weight. Even at the weekends if i have a nice meal out of the norm then all it takes is for higher sodium etc to keep that water weight on! Sometimes i'm just glad if the scale stays the same but my clothes feel a bit more loose.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    1-2 weeks.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    For me, workouts add a little (water) and takes 2 to 3 days to even out. If we're talking calories it takes me about 2 to 3 weeks for results of restricting or adding calories to my diet.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    yeah I have that same problem with the water weight and workouts - I just started a new exercise programme (running) and I am clinging onto water!