Muscle tearing while running?

Options
Hello guys, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have googled this a few times and can't seem to come up with answers that relate directly to my problem.

First off, I have lost around 140lbs, I have loose skin. I also weight lift and have a little bit of muscle mass. I am having a problem that when I run/jog I have somewhat painful tears. I have explained it to a few of my friends at the gym and they seemed clueless.

It is mainly in relation to parts that bounce, chest, butt, sometimes legs. The tears are small, not like soreness from lifting but feel like small short knife cuts. They are muscle because I can flex that muscle and feel the tear (or jump up and down). I can dampen this if I wear compression clothing but just wondering if I will have to do this forever?

Does anyone else have this problem, ever figure out how to make it stop?

Replies

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm a little unsure about what you're saying here, or need more info.. So when you run that's when you feel the pain, correct? Does the pain stop when you stop running? Micro tears are part of the reason you feel sore after exercising (I'm sure you know that). But a true torn muscle injury is an intense pain that has other symptoms like redness, swelling, and bruising. There may be some added stress on the connective tissue that keeps your skin held to the rest of your body because of the excess skin you have. The connective tissue could tear, which would also be painful. You should really talk with your doctor about it though honestly. Does the pain happen on the down motion of your stride?
  • jerry_getsfit
    jerry_getsfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is hard to explain, I apologize, that is the problem with most people I have talked to about this. Running, jump rope, other activities that can be bouncy, this is when I feel the pain. The pain is not constant, only when I am jumping or jogging, (down motion like you said), it feels like it is ripping. I have had these for a long time, it seems one will heal and another will show up somewhere else. No redness, swelling or bruising.

What you are saying about the stress of the skins connective tissue makes sense, it is painful but feels like a tear, or similar to a small knife cut. May sound stupid but I didn't think about talking with a doctor, haven't been to one in over 10 years, I might just do that. I deal with it fine, it's mainly an annoyance, just wondered if others dealt with this and if it will last forever.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If it's happening on the down motion in areas where you have excess skin then it is likely due to the force of the down motion with added unsupported weight (kinda like if a girl tries to run without a bra on lol). Painful. Yes talk with your doctor. If compression clothing helps then wear it, it's helping support that skin and keep it where it belongs so it's not being pulled down with every stride. Congrats on the progress you've made so far! :smile:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is the loose skin, which would explain why compression clothes would help. I haven't had the issue, though, only had 60 lbs to lose, so not much loose skin, so I can't be positive. I'd think it'd subside as your skin tightens up over time.
  • jerry_getsfit
    jerry_getsfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And that does make sense, I will talk to a doctor about this eventually, for now I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!