Fiber

Options
When it comes to fiber, how much is REALLY too much? I tendnto go over fiber everyday...by quite a bit (like by 20g or so). Is this actually bad? Any of you experience this?

Replies

• Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't mind being regular, you're gonna be just fine.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    When it comes to fiber, how much is REALLY too much? I tendnto go over fiber everyday...by quite a bit (like by 20g or so). Is this actually bad? Any of you experience this?

Wow - I don't know of any negative health effects from too much fiber (just ignorance). But that is an impressive number. I'm sort of surprised you wouldn't feel when you've had too much.

I can't even enjoy a FiberOne bar without some stomach grumbling.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you're having issues pooping, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The answer differs for everyone. You have to find the right spot for you.

If you aren't having any problems, then why worry? Can't think of a reason. :)
  • themonstermash
    themonstermash Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @ManiacalLaugh Lol..i just eat a lot of vegetables, beans, and other fiber rich foods because i refrain from eating animal products. They just tend to have a ton of fiber, but i dont really notice!
  • themonstermash
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance all! I mean, i feel just fine and am pretty "regular" hehe. I was just wondering if it could possibly be a bad thing. The red negative numbers can be jarring!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    In addition to constipation, gas, bloating, and the horror that is intestinal blockage, you can risk malnutrition because nutrients bind to fiber and you can be flushing the good stuff out with the bad. The number is pretty high, though. Docs recommend about 25 grams per day for women and 38 for men (or roughly 14 grams per 1000 calories in your diet). I can't remember where I read it but I think 50 grams is the upper threshold where you might have risks.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Because of its bulk and lack of digestibility, fiber could pull nutrients along with it and prevent their absorption.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fiber is more of a goal that you try to hit--a minimum. You can have negative effects from going way over and the precise number that works is going to be different for everyone, as others said, but no reason to worry about going over unless you feel bad.

The red numbers make it seem like exceeding anything is bad, but a lot of the items are goals where it's better to be over than under.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Excessive fiber can lead to gasiness, bloating, cramping, and in extreme cases constipation/blockages. Other potential effects include reduced nutrient/pharmasudical absorption.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/407714-side-effects-of-eating-too-much-fiber/

How much is too much, exactly, is determined by more than just the number of grams per day. Your total intake, how well hydrated you keep yourself, amount of fat in diet, and when you eat it are all determining factors.

The time to consider lowering fiber intake is when have routine constipation, for any extended period, where there are no other potential reasons for it ( lack of fluids, medication side effect, etc ).
  • themonstermash
    Options
    I will consider all that...perhaps its best to try to reduce my fiber intake by about 7-10g. It's hard for me to see where I can reduce from!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing fiber or eating foods with added fiber? If it is all coming from the foods that naturally have the fiber I think I wouldn't worry about it at all (unless you have some real GI issues). I think it is very hard to get too much fiber from diet alone.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    And the goal set by MFP is probably lowish. I would love to hit 40g daily.
  • themonstermash
    Options
    Are you supplementing fiber or eating foods with added fiber? If it is all coming from the foods that naturally have the fiber I think I wouldn't worry about it at all (unless you have some real GI issues). I think it is very hard to get too much fiber from diet alone.

No, its all coming from natural sources for the most part. Im not eating like a fiber cereal or powder or anything, it just comes from the foods i eat
  • themonstermash
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Excessive fiber can lead to gasiness, bloating, cramping, and in extreme cases constipation/blockages. Other potential effects include reduced nutrient/pharmasudical absorption.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/407714-side-effects-of-eating-too-much-fiber/

How much is too much, exactly, is determined by more than just the number of grams per day. Your total intake, how well hydrated you keep yourself, amount of fat in diet, and when you eat it are all determining factors.

The time to consider lowering fiber intake is when have routine constipation, for any extended period, where there are no other potential reasons for it ( lack of fluids, medication side effect, etc ).

Thanks for the link & info!
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I almost always exceed the default fiber goal. I can't help it. I like eating those foods!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do too. I love beans. I think if you aren't having any issues. Then more is better generally.