I am pregnant! Is there a pregnancy specific tool similar to MFP?

Options
I've used MFP twice over the years to successfully lose weight...but recently learned I was pregnant. I reset my goals to maintain weight instead of lose (I achieved my goal weight several months ago), but I am wondering if there is a better app that is specific to pregnancy nutrition that anyone might recommend?

Also, I plan to continue my current exercise routine for as long as I feel up to it. (I usually alternate between running 3-6miles and biking 15-25miles while throwing in occasional long hikes, swimming laps, and at least two days of strength training). This may mean my caloric intake according to MFP could be really high. It is already recommending a base of 2040... which feels like a lot compared to what I've been eating for the past 8 months. I definitely put my babies health first..(I don't have my first prenatal visit for several more weeks which is why I am asking here) but if am not hungry enough to eat back exercise calories while pregnant, should I still force myself? ( as long as I am getting enough of all the protein and nutrients required)

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would strongly consider calling the doctors office to confirm that you are on the right track. It may be hard to eat at maintenance for the pregnancy because you are used to the weight loss levels for food, but it is truly important to ensure the health of you and your baby. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard/read/saw, you only need to eat at maintenance for the first trimester (plus exercise calories if you're hungry), then add 300 calories for 2nd trimester, and an additional 200 (total of 500 extra) calories in the third trimester. You absolutely do not need to 'eat for two'. Your goal would probably be 25-35lbs gained by deliver - but your OB will tell you more about that. It depends on the person.
    Best of luck! :smiley:
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My wife is currently pregnant with our first due in Sept. I will echo the two prior posts that your OB should be able to give you solid direction on this. For my wife, she has stayed active up until recently and now goes to an occasional barre class or just goes for a walk. You have to be careful of your temperature and heart rate increasing during workouts. Good luck!
  • bevwoosley
    bevwoosley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 22 weeks pregnant and I have the mfp app set to maintain my weight at 170. I have just under 2000 calories in a day, which I rarely meet.

I'm using the app as a guide and more to check my microbutrients (I'm a vegetarian). I eat when I'm hungry and try to make clean choices. I haven't had any big cravings so it's been easy to stay on track.

I'm here if you want help staying motviated !