Food Pusher!

Options
Hi, I'm able to fend off most food pushers, but I'm having trouble with my boss! I need suggestions. He is a VERY sweet little old man (Italian, of course, haha!) and he brings me food every single day. As in doughnuts, giant Italian hoagies, pizza, etc. I DO NOT want to hurt his feelings, and he definitely is in the 'food is love' camp.
I'm tempted to just tell him I'm on a diet, except for the fact that he's also an incorrigible gossip and will promptly tell everyone we know, including clients, his family members, etc (its a VERY small family-type company, there's no such thing as confidentiality, lol).
Any ideas on how to ask him to stop with the junk food?

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Just keep saying no. And mean no. Eventually he'll give up, I promise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Would it be so terrible for others to know your are on a diet?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just say no or take it push the snacks onto others.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Accept them and put them in the breakroom for others to enjoy, or take them home to family and friends. You can also say no and not give a reason. no should be enough.
  • daygecko
    daygecko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pull a face and pretend you dont like the foods .this worked for me with a pushy co worker and she eventually gave up .
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You aren't on a diet, you are learning to eat in moderation. Explain to him that you are trying to change the way you eat and you'd rather share the food with others. Or take the food, eat a little bit of it that fits into your calorie deficit, and share the rest out.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    share your myfitnesspal account with him and explain that you are on a mission. let him know you...and find another way to share positive emotions. maybe he will bring you a protein bar
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    As it's the boss and not a coworker, I can understand why this would be tough. Personally, part of me would be tempted explain to him that I brought a lunch and will keep the food for dinner. Then, I would take it home and throw it out.

I'd much rather take the honest approach though and split it between the office. As someone who works right next to the "shared food" counter though, I can say this doesn't completely eliminate temptation. -_-
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    don't use the word diet - tell him you're "watching your figure" and that his food is so good there's no way you can eat it all and accomplish this.

now, he may have his own opinions about how you look or should look, but stick to your guns. "no thank you, really, it looks so delicious but i have to be careful!" and maybe eat half if you want to and can fit it in. (and yeah, share or take the rest home.)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Smoke and mirrors "thanks so much for thinking of me, I've just eaten. It looks so good/tasty, can I take a piece home for after dinner?" share with partner/neighbor/into the trash.
    "ooh that looks amazing, lets pop it in the breakroom and ill have some when I get hungry"
    Take a small bite "this is amazing! Co-worker you just have to try this!" "oh I'm just saving this piece to share with x"
    "no thanks I had a huge donut earlier in the week and don't feel like anything sweet today"
    I don't like donuts and very rarely like pizza (melted cheese is odd, I love it not melted though), so I wouldn't have any trouble turning these down "thanks I'm not a pizza fan" good luck!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You're free to say no. He's not making you an offer you can't refuse.
  • Wontgiveuponme
    Wontgiveuponme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work around many food pushers. I was just offered donuts and I always repeat the same script " It won't look good on me it looks better in the box so let's just leave it there" :)

I preach it daily.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Smoke and mirrors "thanks so much for thinking of me, I've just eaten. It looks so good/tasty, can I take a piece home for after dinner?" share with partner/neighbor/into the trash.
    "ooh that looks amazing, lets pop it in the breakroom and ill have some when I get hungry"
    Take a small bite "this is amazing! Co-worker you just have to try this!" "oh I'm just saving this piece to share with x"
    "no thanks I had a huge donut earlier in the week and don't feel like anything sweet today"
    I don't like donuts and very rarely like pizza (melted cheese is odd, I love it not melted though), so I wouldn't have any trouble turning these down "thanks I'm not a pizza fan" good luck!

How does this help? They will just keep giving you food.

So much better to be straightforward. "No, thank you" is not rude and they'll give up asking when they realize you're not going to budge.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Tell him that while you appreciate it and the food is good, you're trying to change your eating habits per your doctor. Kinda hard to argue with a medical reason.