Women with muscles

Options
I went to a body building competition with hubby this weekend. Once again I was impressed with the over 40 women's figure competitors. They have just enough muscle to look awesome. My family doesn't understand my desire to look like that (with the exception of dear hubby who is already a competition body builder). I don't want to just be skinny, I want to be strong. Any other over 40 ladies out there that share the same thoughts?

I know I have a long way to go, but going to the shows renews my desire and motivates me.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes. i'm 48, i dont do stage but i love being strong. And i have plenty of friends over 40 that go on stage, or running mudders, power lifting, crossfit games, etc.
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went to a body building competition with hubby this weekend. Once again I was impressed with the over 40 women's figure competitors. They have just enough muscle to look awesome. My family doesn't understand my desire to look like that (with the exception of dear hubby who is already a competition body builder). I don't want to just be skinny, I want to be strong. Any other over 40 ladies out there that share the same thoughts?

I know I have a long way to go, but going to the shows renews my desire and motivates me.[/quote

YES!!!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Whilst I have never had an interest in body building as a competition or sport, I do love training and feeling strong. I started just after my 40th birthday and I will be 43 in 3 months. My plans are to get leaner and stronger.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Whilst I have never had an interest in body building as a competition or sport, I do love training and feeling strong. I started just after my 40th birthday and I will be 43 in 3 months. My plans are to get leaner and stronger.

Same plans Karen, leaner and stronger. I don't want to get on stage either, not at this point in my life, won't say never, just not now. I want to see how far I can go with this.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love what lifting is doing to my body but have no desire to put in all of the work it would require to compete. I started lifting regularly at age 48. A year later, I'm still going strong (pun intended!).
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Strong women (of all ages) are sexy women. I often find myself staring just a little too long at the strong beautiful women at my gym and have to slap my stare away before they find me creepy.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 40 and would love to be fit and strong rather than just skinny. I'm petite and weigh only 113lb but still have problem areas, it's crazy! At the moment I have no idea where to start.

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Strength has always been important to me. I'm in the process of rebuilding the basics to allow myself to advance, and it's so exciting seeing the new gains. Lift with good form, lift heavy, and the strength and shape will come. (Provided you have the correct nutrition!)
  • Pooh973
    Pooh973 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the same desire to "transform" my body and become fit and sculpted. I think the women that compete in the fitness competitions look awesome, but my husband and son think they've lost their femininity.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

I know I have a long way to go, but going to the shows renews my desire and motivates me.

I just turned 47 years old and have been lifting for almost 6 years. Prior to that, I only did cardio. I SO wish I had started lifting much earlier! Like you, I am not aiming to hit the stage but I am always striving to make my body look better than ever.

• wazargirl
    wazargirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    43 this year lifting about almost 2 years. Not competitive just want to be strong and leaner. Getting there takes time.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just turned 44 last week and I've been lifting for about a year and a half. I don't think I'll compete (but you never know!) I do love being strong though! I still have fat to lose but I love the muscle I'm seeing. I probably feel myself up and check myself out more than my husband at this point, lol. Although he does love the changes he's seeing. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    All women have muscles. ;P What category specifically do you find desirable?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching 40 and would love to be fit and strong rather than just skinny. I'm petite and weigh only 113lb but still have problem areas, it's crazy! At the moment I have no idea where to start.

Go to the Maintaining Weight forum and bookmark
    Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

IPad app won't let me cut and paste a link to the thread, sorry
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not yet 40 but I lift and love the look of strong, defined shoulders and quads on a female and hope to make mine as amazing as I can get them. I envy, and look up to competition ladies but can and never will be able to do it. Plus off season competition chicks=perfection. Just the right muscle:body fat ratio in my opinion!
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It does take time, but it is fun to see the changes. Seeing what hubby goes through for competition, I agree. I don't want to do that.
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I'm with you :)
    I'm still in my 30's but I wish I'd look like those competitors too :) I just started a new program with a new coach who finished 2nd in a bikini competition and it's now clear to me that is what I want to achieve!!!
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Strong women (of all ages) are sexy women. I often find myself staring just a little too long at the strong beautiful women at my gym and have to slap my stare away before they find me creepy.

LOL!!!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    All women have muscles. ;P What category specifically do you find desirable?

She mentioned figure in her OP

I'm not over 40, but I love the physiques as well. I found myself admiring the masters group more than the rest, I love the idea of staying fit as I age. I trained for one last year but backed out for injury-definitely on my agenda this year or next. I think it's a fabulous goal!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm not over 40, but I do want all the muscles. :smiley: