How often do you get "bad" food cravings?

Options
So, I've been doing this diet 4 days. Over the past two weeks with being home from college I've lost 10 pounds without trying, so I figured why not keep this good thing going? Anyway, I've been working really hard the past 4 days. The first night I did eat something with a little sugar, but not bad. It was one of those packet 150 calorie jellos that taste like cheesecake. But right now I can tell I've got a craving coming on...

With my past diet where I lost 50 pounds a few years ago I would let myself have one piece of small hard candy a night.

How do you deal with bad sugar food cravings? If I let myself have a "small bowl" of ice cream it'd be game over for me. I have the will-power to stay away from it, but once I get that one bite I find it really really really really hard to stop until I've eaten all I truly want.

Replies

• bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    its also very hard for me to have one bite and be done, my advice, if you can stay away from it, do that. You can always have a bit of fruit to get your sweet on without feeling bad. Thats what i do :)
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you but when I get a bad sugar craving, I will grab one of those extra dessert gums and chew the crap out of it. Usually helps curb the craving. I also adore skinny cow ice creams. Tastes freaking amazing but they aren't really bad for you at all.
  • Kjanthony
    Kjanthony Posts: 39
    Options
    i like the skinny cow clusters or bars. i also will eat sugar free jello with far free whip cream.
  • maggiemay1969
    Options
    Hi...

I am doing the HCG diet right now, but I have found two things that are positively AWESOME when you are craving sweets. (I alos love my ice cream and my candy)

1. throw one orange (or a half) and a handful of strawberries in your blender, with some crushed ice, some h20 and a dropperful of liquid vanilla stevia. (organic food section of any grocery store should have) Blend away....FABULOUS and all 'natural' sugar, nothing added.

2. Old standby. Cut an apple in half, (any kind will do, but the Honeycrisps are to die for) sprinkle some cinnamon and a few drop of vanilla stevia and microwave it for 90-120 seconds. Is like eating apple pie and is SUPER YUM.

Good luck!
  • SpazEMcGee
    SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get those ALL the freakin time! Sometimes if you have that craving if you can just make it to the bathroom and brush your teeth it'll go away for a little while at least. If that's not enough, then gargling with mouthwash helps too. But if you have the calories to spare and you want to try, cave in just a little and THEN brush your teeth...so you get a little fix, and don't have the taste lingering in your mouth that makes you crave more. Hope this at least helps a little!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I crave bad treats ALL THE TIME!!!! I try fruit but that doesn't work. It's candy I want. Sour. lol

I am going to have to start going to bed really early to fight those late evening munchies. :)

I could always use more friends so add me if you want!!! :D

7690954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Indulge your cravings, but in small portions. If you crave chocolate, go to the chocolate shop and order one very good chocolate and spend 5 minutes eating it. If you crave ice cream, have a small portion of the great-tasting premium stuff that you can only get in pint boxes and take only very small bites. Make it last. This is a lifetime habit you are cultivating here. Staying away only results in a cookie monster response. If you over indulge, exercise it off, or save up calories during the week for a big splurge at a weekend meal (something Weight Watchers recommends.)

The main thing is not to loose too much weight too quickly, because that can trigger a response where you never satisfy your hunger and gain all of your weight back plus more to make up for it. Plus there are some real down sides to losing weight too quickly ( ie significantly throwing your blood chemistry out). Slow and steady wins the race, plus eating strategies such as banking surplus calories that allow you to enjoy really good food in portions that work.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to getting your sugars from natural sources , you won't really miss candy, cakes, ice cream at least not so bad. YOU can still have anything in moderation but if you can't control how much its better to not eat all together. Same goes for carbs your will find your diet becomes more lean protein and veggies and you won't miss potato's and other starches much. I might eat a bag of chips once a week but even thats very seldom. I try to stay away from machine made foods.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So, I've been doing this diet 4 days. Over the past two weeks with being home from college I've lost 10 pounds without trying, so I figured why not keep this good thing going? Anyway, I've been working really hard the past 4 days. The first night I did eat something with a little sugar, but not bad. It was one of those packet 150 calorie jellos that taste like cheesecake. But right now I can tell I've got a craving coming on...

With my past diet where I lost 50 pounds a few years ago I would let myself have one piece of small hard candy a night.

How do you deal with bad sugar food cravings? If I let myself have a "small bowl" of ice cream it'd be game over for me. I have the will-power to stay away from it, but once I get that one bite I find it really really really really hard to stop until I've eaten all I truly want.

I don't get cravings. At all.

When I lost this weight the first time around, 27 years ago(and kept it off for more than 23 years), I cut out all the sweets completely. After a few months, I had lost all taste for them and never went back.

If you can go cold turkey on the sweets, you will put an end to craving them and they will taste disgustingly, stomach-turningly sweet to you when you try them again.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    All the time :mad:
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    A lot! Especially when im surrounded by girls that have a chocolate bar / bag of candy after lunch. Jelly or chewing gum works for me :). The cravings are getting way easier to handle, you can say no!
  • hyper588
    hyper588 Posts: 28
    Options
    Cravings are a two-fold--biological and mindset. One thing I noticed, you used the word "diet". Being 48 and on prednisone for over 20 years, I assure you, I have done my share of "dieting" and have a huge sweet tooth. However, this time around I have lost 10 lbs total (4 since I found this tracking system), I'm embrassing the words "healthy lifestyle changes".

When I have been successful in the past, I find that my eating habits are broken down into 5-6 smaller mini-meals (or 3 meals and 2 snacks). I plan a whole bag of popcorn and a diet Rootbeer (sweet fix) for my evening snack. I keep carrots, celery and bell peppers cleaned and ready to grab. As well as, watermelon and canelope, diced and chilled for the sweet tooth.

I don't keep junk food in the house, as I will eventually eat it. I am sticking with a vigorous exercise program and have incorporated tilipia fish into my diet (never been a big fish eater, but I found I like this one).

Also, each day I try to eat some foods that Dr. Oz says are good to remove and burn belly fat. 8 almonds (or 1/4 c walnuts), 5 olives, 4 oz grapefruit juice, (there are more fat burning foods, those are just the ones I choose to stick with daily).

I'm doing something that works for me, as I'm not having cravings. I also invested (for the first time) in a personal trainer. Money spent is a powerful motivator for me.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It was hard in the beginning but now its almost natural to avoid foods like that. Some fast food and candies are now not even remotely worth it and they do not taste as good as before.
    My worst moments are when my mom makes something delicious - since I live with her, its hard to avoid such food. So I usually have a bite and I save some of my calories for that.