5,3 feet what is your weight goal?

Options
Hey guys so i am 5,3 and i am 125 lbs and i wanted to know if i should lose more or not?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    that isn't a question anyone here can really answer. You are currently at a healthy BMI. If you think you still look fat or feel fat, maybe consider lifting or doing progressively harder body weight exercises? Your body fat percent will go down and you will look smaller but you may weigh the same or even a little more.

The number on the scale is not the end all be all. What matters is your own happiness and self esteem. You are doing this for you, not for us.
  • nohaabdelbary14
    nohaabdelbary14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    that isn't a question anyone here can really answer. You are currently at a healthy BMI. If you think you still look fat or feel fat, maybe consider lifting or doing progressively harder body weight exercises? Your body fat percent will go down and you will look smaller but you may weigh the same or even a little more.

The number on the scale is not the end all be all. What matters is your own happiness and self esteem. You are doing this for you, not for us.
    I know what i meant was is this normal and healthy or not...anyway thanks for your advice :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That's a personal preference. When I started I had a "weight" in mind, now I just want to be strong.
  • angie_momof3
    angie_momof3 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For a 5'3" female a healthy bmi is at 140lbs. I would like to be at 130lbs, but I also want to feel like I look good so I'm not relying completely on my weight.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I'm 5'3.5" and 97 lbs and would like to gain some muscle to about 103-105 to be in a normal bmi range once I have an injury that heals and I can lift again. Right now I can only do cardio and have gotten very lean and lost a bit of muscle mass since I can't lift.
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 125! I'm 160 now. :( I haven't weighed 125 since high school, but looking back at pictures, it was a great weight for me, and right in the middle of the healthy BMI range for our height.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For a 5'3" female a healthy bmi is at 140lbs. I would like to be at 130lbs, but I also want to feel like I look good so I'm not relying completely on my weight.

For a 5'3" female 140 lbs is actually on the edge of overweight on the BMI scale. Healthy range is 105-135.
  • SunnyPacheco
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Anyway 125 is a healthy weight for your height, but I think body composition is more important because you can still be "skinny fat" at a healthy BMI (healthy weight with high bf%).
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

For a 5'3" female 140 lbs is actually on the edge of overweight on the BMI scale. Healthy range is 105-135.
    It actually depends on frame size as well.
    A larger framed 5ft 3 person can get away with being 140 without looking overweight.....same as a muscular person.
    BMI charts don't apply to everyone, as they don't take into account: frame size, Ethnicity or muscle mass.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have to agree it really depends on frame size, muscle mass, etc. I tend to look best around 104, but that's because I have a small frame and am not all that muscular (yet!) I look healthy/slim at that weight but not "skinny", whereas someone with a larger frame would probably look too thin. My goal is to get back there and then possibly bulk and put on some muscle.
  • nohaabdelbary14
    nohaabdelbary14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys :)
  • ikeasnake
    ikeasnake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and currently 120, down from 144. I'd like to get down to 112 as haven't been that weight since my teens / early 20s and am curious as to what I'd look like. (Too thin probably)
  • SunnyPacheco
    Options

A larger framed 5ft 3 person can get away with being 140 without looking overweight.....same as a muscular person.
    BMI charts don't apply to everyone, as they don't take into account: frame size, Ethnicity or muscle mass.

I completely agree. That's just what the BMI chart says, but I wouldn't put any stock in it.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3" and my goal weight is 130. But that's coming down from 189.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's in the middle of the healthy range.

As for whether it's the right weight for you, up to you!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There are many factors to this. BMI is a good palace to find the "ballpark". After that, it may depend on how you feel, and what your lifestyle is like, as well as where you feel you look most attractive. Body composition will certainly play into that. And then you have to consider maintenance. What calorie and exercise level will it take to maintain a given weight, and will that work with your lifestyle.

Real life example: I am 5'2" and weigh 131 lbs, which is near the top of the BMI recommendations. (That is my picture actually yesterday as my avatar, so you can see how that looks). I got down as low as 112 after a year here on MFP , but that was not the lowest my weight had been. As a teen and a young adult I weighed 100-105 just for reference. I liked the way I looked at 112, but when I look back at pictures, it may have been a little low. At any rate, I found that I had to exercise too much such that I neglected my family duties, or eat too little to maintain that weight at my age (47). Exercise and calories sort of took over my life. Now, at 131 lbs I can maintain without feeling deprived or obsessed, or taking away from my family life. Would I like to be back to 120? Sure. Maybe I can do that, maybe not. But if I can't do it without constantly worrying about going over my calorie goal and feeling frustrated, I will just continue to sit where I am workout regularly, eat moderately, and work on body recomp.

I hope that perspective helps.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

My sister and I are about the same height (I'm 5'3.5", she's 5'2.5") but we look very different at the same weight because she is really fine-boned like our mother and I'm really large-framed like our father (I can only fit her wedding rings on my pinky finger and my wedding ring fits around her middle finger with room to spare). I also tend to be more muscular. She looks great at around 110-115 and my best weight is between 125 and 130.
  • chels1126
    chels1126 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and have weighed as low as 105lbs and as high as 150lbs. I think the best weight for you is the one that you can maintain while eating healthily but not too restrictive, and exercising at a level that is comfortable and realistic for your lifestyle. For some people that might be 110, others 125.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". Starting Weight: 133 Current: 122 Goal: 113. My goal weight is a little agressive. If I start to plateau at 118 I will stop there and work on gaining muscle. Because of my height, just a few extra pounds shows a lot! I think I'm a medium frame.