Such a long way to go

Options
2»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1. Start logging now, without making changes. Give it a couple of weeks to see where your habits and problems are, and what you'll need to adjust. Buy a food scale. Digital, by preference. You have to weigh EVERYTHING, at least for now, or you're not going to get an accurate picture of where you are.
    2. Make small changes at first to give yourself time to get used to it. I started with just swapping soda out for unsweet tea with sweetener. That knocked about 200 calories of those meals right away! So find something small like that to change at first, give it a week or so, then change something else.
    3. Look at your daily calorie goal and decide how you want to divide it up. Some people like eating several times a day, some prefer two big meals and maybe a couple of snacks. How you divide it up DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is the final calorie count of the day. So divide up how many calories you can do for each meal, and that helps you plan what to eat for them.
    4. Like junk food? Once you split up your calories for the day, if you want junk food, just figure out how much of something will fit in one of those spots. Or two. You don't have to give up your favorite foods unless a health reason develops, you just have to be careful to limit what you eat. I didn't give up soda, but I realized it was costing me calories I would prefer to eat, so now I only have soda for specific gatherings. Mostly game nights.
    Step back: Went over for the day? It's ok, everyone has off days! You can go over without sabotaging yourself, just as long as it's only occasionally. Just log it and start fresh the next day. Don't ever take an over day as an excuse to stop!
    Step to the right: Exercise is good but NOT necessary. Most of my weight loss was done without any exercise. Oh sure, I had some here and there, but it wasn't consistent, and even though I'm trying harder now, it's more to try and get my asthma under control rather than for weight loss. Exercise is good for a lot of reasons, but if you're having trouble starting, don't stress it. When you've lost some weight, it will be easier down the road.
    Step to the left: Don't stress about holidays and special occasions. Don't make it an excuse to binge, but if you go to a birthday party, it's ok to have a slice of cake. Just not 4 or 5. Maybe it's the Southerner in me, but my family tends to celebrate special occasions with food, and I finally realized I was making myself miserable when I didn't join in. So now, I join in, just make sure to take a moderate amount of food, not loading up my plate.
    Hands on your hips: Profit!

Just remember this is not a diet plan, this is you making a choice to change how you eat for a better life. You want this to be long term, so it will be slow, but it is effective!

Would also like to point out that everyone has a different technique for this process! I'm giving you tips that worked for me, and they might work for you. If not, look around and try something else. You may find you have to cut all junk food for a time to succeed. Some people do, some don't. What's important is to find a process that works FOR YOU, not just use someone else's process.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP - I've lost 90 so far and have about 30-40 left (I haven't decided on my final goal weight).

I absolutely agree with the posters who recommended little mini-goals. This is the first weight loss attempt I've made where I didn't look at the whole number, I just looked for the next "10"; this is the first weight loss attempt I've made where I've had major success and have managed to keep it off. Those mini goals give you a reason to pause and celebrate what you've already accomplished, which can do wonders for your morale and determination.

I also agree with those saying that it's okay to fail. I've been successful this time because I've allowed myself holidays, birthdays, and vacations. On the rare occassion when I go overboard and splurge too much, I don't let it get me down. I move on and live the next day as I normally would. I don't try and "make it up" through a starvation day, I don't let it get me emotionally down, and I don't allow that binging behavior to continue.

One thing I would add is that if this is all too overwhelming for you, it's okay to take it in baby steps. Start with simply logging your diet (honestly). Make a record of all your food and aim for a little bit of a deficit. Then, when you have that down, buy a scale - start weighing your food and tightening up your accuracy, and lower your deficit so that you're losing at a decent pace for your size and goals. Once you lose a few pounds, increase your movement. Look at starting weights. By then, you'll have all the building blocks you'll need for your own success.

Last but not least, don't give up! This is a lifestyle change for you - and it's a marathon, not a sprint. Success comes with consistency - this is why it's so good to have a sustainable plan with attainable goals in place when you begin.
  • 1mototh
    1mototh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. This was terrific.
  • gina10thomp
    gina10thomp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When i first started out and i wanted to lose 50 lbs...it seemed like a lot. But, then i changed my way of thinking. I started telling myself i can lose 1 lb =50 times. It made it a whole lot easier than seeing that big number i needed to lose. You can do it....dont give up!!! It wont be easy...but i assure you , it WILL be WORTH IT!!

I just logged on for the first time today but have to tell you I LOVE this! Lose 1lb = 50 times! My new mantra! Thank you.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    One meal at a time, one day at a time. Get a cute profile picture to use here.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    take it one week/month at a time, stay under budget
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Literally everything everyone else has said. And make MFP an inegral part of your life. I feel like the more time I spend here the more time I stay focused on my goals, when I'm too busy, I forget to read the forums or celebrate my friends' victories I start to go off the rails.

I just discovered this group for those of us who have over 100# to lose. Check it out.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery