*inches lost* question

Options
When people say they've lost __ number of inches, what body areas is that # comprised of?
always wondered.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Most people I see add everything up that they measure. Some people take 3 basic measurements others measure tons of places, so it ends up being pretty arbitrary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Most people I see add everything up that they measure. Some people take 3 basic measurements others measure tons of places, so it ends up being pretty arbitrary.

Yeah, this ^^

I measure 8 places.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point. I can see saying "I lost __ inches from my waist," but just saying, "I lost __ inches," makes no sense to me. How many places are you measuring? Neck, chest, bust, underbust, natural waist, waist at belly button, upper hips, lower hips, bicep, forearm, wrist, thigh, above the knee, calf, ankle, on both the right and left sides.... pinky toes?!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    It means something if they say they lost x number of inches from y body part at z specific location.

I don't know what anyone means when they say they've lost x number of inches overall. But they know what it means, and we all know it typically means something good, and that's all that matters I guess. :)
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Thanks. It has always seemed to me that people measure different places, which would make the number more of a personally satisfying accomplishment than something a stranger reading the number could grasp.

I figure people include: neck, chest, waist, hips, each thigh?, each upper arm? Maybe some add in each calf, each lower arm...?

• gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point. I can see saying "I lost __ inches from my waist," but just saying, "I lost __ inches," makes no sense to me. How many places are you measuring?
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I don't know what anyone means when they say they've lost x number of inches overall. But they know what it means, and we all know it typically means something good, and that's all that matters I guess. :)

Exactly!
    ok, just making sure there isn't a standard i don't know about!