Let's talk cous cous

Options
Hi guys,

So cous cous is a new phnomenom to me. I've been having 70g at lunch (1/2 a pack) with chicken. Is it healthy? It's low in calories but wondered if it's a good every day lunch!

Thanks
Laura

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It's basically pasta, from my understanding. Nothing wrong with pasta.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It also has protein and is super simple to make :) I have it every couple of weeks to change things up.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cous cous is a type of semolina. It is made from the bran portion of milled wheat. The nutrition profile is:

rblnx3l49cew.jpg

As you can see, it is low in fat, high in carbs, and has a moderate protein macro profile.

I don't eat it every day, but I eat it frequently ( 2-4/month ). It is a healthy addition to your carb rotation.

Your chicken and cous cous, possibly paired with some fruit or veg, is a fine choice for a mid day meal. Just remember IIFYM and CICO, and hit your daily/weekly targets.

You will experience any carb/wheat based dietary issues when eating it, so if you are PCOS/IR/GI then plan accordingly.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Just be aware of portion sizes and make sure you're weighing it (pre-packaged foods often contain more weight than stated on the packet).

If you like it and are keeping within your calorie and macro goals then continue as you are.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love Israeli cous cous for salads (sometimes called "pearl cous cous". The grains are larger than the more familiar Moroccan cous cous which blends better with the other ingredients.
  • LauraMcF2015
    LauraMcF2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you! Absolutely weighing it and watching my carb intake. Great news and thanks again
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I just added this to my grocery list. :) Love cous cous! I love dumping it into Campbell's Tomato soup. Probably not the most everyday maco friendly food but hey, whatever! :D
  • shirani_b1
    shirani_b1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love it, but as I'm minding my carbs I find quinoa the better alternative. It's amazing as a base for taboule salad!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define healthy.

It is basically pasta made with white flour. It is NOT a grain--many people confuse it with bulgar wheat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "healthy" is pretty relative...there are many people who think grains and pasta and whatnot are the devil...I am not one of those people.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It is pasta. Nothing special.