What do you do on your "rest" day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Rest days are running a leisurely 3-4 miles rather than 6-8 flat out.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My exercise on rest days is almost always walking to the kitchen, to the washroom and to the TV room. I even avoid meetinf up with friends haha anythung that gets me out of the house is too much. It's the laziest day ever haha. I work out hard 6 days a week though.
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i usually am pretty active on most of my rest days (1-2 days a week). I go grocery shopping all over the neighbourhood (i buy from several different, distanced places) on my bike, walk a lot, cook (meaning i run around the kitchen a lot for a hour or two), go for a relax swim with friends at the pool or just hang out with people, will do most of the chores or other things i haven't had the time to do before, etc. I try to make my rest days as productive as i can to make up for whatever i skipped on because i was too tired/too busy to do on a workout day! ;)
    I just can't stand sitting down for too long, it makes me horribly depressed to be bored haha.
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am the mother of four. I don't really get to rest lol. Usually for exercise, I will rest with a long walk or yoga.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My 'rest' day usually involves sweaty yard work and or a workout in the weight room .To me a 'rest day' is one during which I don't swim 4 miles :)
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    my rest days are just doing "mom stuff" which keeps me moving. my house gets messy stupid fast so cleaning and taking care of a kid and a baby wears me out lol. that's every day though, most days I workout when I can.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I usually have ONE real rest day,since I go to gym 6 days a week,so I do NOTHING at all,just watch movies or maybe go down town to take a walk but not sporty like.

If I only attended 5 days for any reason, I do a short session of isometrics, one repetition,as long as I can hold it.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yeah water,lawn care,garden mantaince,walking some. But lots of breaks between them
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my rest day, so after getting up early and going to church, I spend the rest of the day being lazy.
  • brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every single day. So for me, even on days when I'm not at the gym, or working with my Kettlebells, I might go for a run, bike ride or a long dog walk. Active rest....

While do believe we need rest and that's when our bodies recuperate, I don't think that means doing nothing.

I rest and do nothing, after I've done something, if that makes sense.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't grind myself into the dirt every workout, so I don't take that many true rest days. Often times a "rest" day is doing something fun and active anyways like hiking or kayaking. Other days just some foam rolling, stretching, mobility work and light core work.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I easily get 10,000 steps in even on my one rest day. Rest days are usually spent at the park or some other activity with the hubby and kids.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is barely active, so the doctor would say...yes, 10,000 steps.

I have a rare genetic disorder, and I'm in pain when I don't exercise enough, so I try for 15,000 to minimize my pain levels on rest days. Yesterday, I looked like an idiot limping along with knee braces for hours on the treadmill.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week, on my rest day, I usually only get 3,000 or so steps. I need a break.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't grind myself into the dirt every workout, so I don't take that many true rest days. Often times a "rest" day is doing something fun and active anyways like hiking or kayaking. Other days just some foam rolling, stretching, mobility work and light core work.

this. personally, each workout for me has a goal, and rarely is that goal "train until I collapse." as a triathlete, i'm always doing something different, mostly swimming, biking, and running, with some strength training and yoga mixed in there. so i'm always working out different muscle groups and often i use one exercise to recover from the other. nothing like a good swim to help loosen up the muscles after being hunched over a bike all morning.

i'll also often workout twice in one day, so when i take a rest day, i rest. but like others have said, i'm active by doing laundry, running errands, food prepping, and all kinds of other things.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've never counted steps. Today is my rest day. I'm sitting on my butt reading the forums. I used to feel guilty on rest days when I first started working out but now that I'm on a true program, I absolutely need it. There's not much I'd be able to do in the gym today effectively...except abs or cardio and f that.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have about 7800 steps in. I do abs on my light activity days. 300 crunches and out

Not gonna do anything else.

Tomorrow is hard bike day because of the stupid heat, 25 miles and it is 98 degrees at 7 pm.

I need to be rested.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Rest day = Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, Kemp's frozen yogurt cookies and cream and constantly looking at MFP to see how many calories I have left for the day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Rest day = Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, Kemp's frozen yogurt cookies and cream and constantly looking at MFP to see how many calories I have left for the day.

Me too. Or at least messing with everything I pre logged to see what else I can fit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've never counted steps. Today is my rest day. I'm sitting on my butt reading the forums. I used to feel guilty on rest days when I first started working out but now that I'm on a true program, I absolutely need it. There's not much I'd be able to do in the gym today effectively...except abs or cardio and f that.

this. i feel that people that make up their own program make it with as many possible workouts during the week.

when you are following a specific program to train for something, you might dislike the rest days at first, but soon enough you understand why they are there.