Canned Chicken?

Options
I was wondering about everyone's thoughts on canned chicken. For me, I like the taste, there's only 270 calories in the entire can, it's quick and easy (I'm usually in a rush before work), has a lot of protein, and it keeps me full for SUCH a long time.

I know the downsides are that it has a lot of sodium and is...canned, which really isn't a downside for me but can be for others. Sometimes I mix it with a bit of mayonnaise or barbecue sauce, maybe some cheese. It's versatile and pretty good. I drink a lot of water in my day so the sodium hasn't bothered me.

Now I'm just wondering if this a reasonable staple in my diet. Does anyone else eat this? Found any downsides? Suggestions? Things to mix it with? I wanna know. :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've had smaller cans before that had more like 100-150 calories. Admittedly it took me a long time to use them because I thought it tasted really bad. I'd say if you like it though, go for it. You might want to try weighing out the portion in the can once in awhile to see if it is the same as the label. Though I don't like doing that, sometimes it can be beneficial as the calories can be over or under what the nutrition label says.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know as canned chicken/tuna is something i keep meaning to buy but keep forgetting. I wouldn't mind having it be a bigger part of my diet.
  • acorneredbaby
    acorneredbaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know as canned chicken/tuna is something i keep meaning to buy but keep forgetting. I wouldn't mind having it be a bigger part of my diet.

If it matters, I haven't had any problems with eating it and it's becoming a staple for me. So many upsides to having this in my diet. Oh, and it's cheap, too.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like canned chicken. It's only recently been available in Australia and people are still freaked out by it. I don't get why, we've been eating tuna in a can for decades! I like it in salads and on crackers and as a snack. I also swap it out for tuna in things like a tuna noodle casserole, because my husband doesn't like fish. I keep small cans of it in my desk drawer at work for emergency "I forgot my lunch" eats. I'm a big fan.
  • arditarose
    Options
    What brand do you guys get/like?
  • acorneredbaby
    acorneredbaby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I like Great Value and Hormel the best.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you like it great. Drink lots of water.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds gross, but I eat canned tuna, so I don't have much room to talk. :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I like Great Value and Hormel the best.

I've only tried Swanson and it was a little rough. It's so cheap though. I might give it another try, at least for lunch/emergencies.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I only use it in white-girl enchilada suiza. It's a terrible bastardization of a TexMex recipe...but it's yummy. Not healthy, though. Could use it in other ways, too, but I only got in the habit with that. (Please don't ask for the recipe. It's embarrassing that I like it so much.)
  • cjodrie
    cjodrie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use it and mix it with fat free miracle whip and red grapes. It's pretty good that way. I have also added chopped celery.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i use both canned chicken & tuna (and salmon!). sometimes i eat it plain or with a little bit of stuff mixed in as a snack. or i use the canned chicken (sometimes tuna) in things like salads, burritos/quesadillas, a pot full of veggies/beans/salsa w some chicken in it etc. i'll throw it in pasta type dishes too. really it can be used in so many places. the sodium has never bothered me personally. and it's cheap & filling.

i like the great value brand & valley fresh. and starkist when it comes to tuna. :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I prefer canned tuna over fresh tuna and will not be getting on a high horse about canned chicken. I'd try it if it weren't for the salt. I've eaten bagged chicken, so why not canned?
  • arditarose
    Options
    i use both canned chicken & tuna (and salmon!). sometimes i eat it plain or with a little bit of stuff mixed in as a snack. or i use the canned chicken (sometimes tuna) in things like salads, burritos/quesadillas, a pot full of veggies/beans/salsa w some chicken in it etc. i'll throw it in pasta type dishes too. really it can be used in so many places. the sodium has never bothered me personally. and it's cheap & filling.

i like the great value brand & valley fresh. and starkist when it comes to tuna. :smile:

How do you like the canned salmon? I've been shying away from it.

I tried canned shrimp the other week. The kind I got were tasty but they were really really mini and they kind of just got crushed up in my salad.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Hormel has a no salt added variety of canned chicken. It's pretty good mixed up with some bbq sauce.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mixed wth diced tomato & hot sauce. On a wheat thin crisp low sodium cracker... OR... Rolled into a lettuce leaf. As a soft taco alternative minus the tortilla.. Wayyy healthier. And very refreshing n crisp.!!!! Yummmm
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh I love canned salmon too, I didn't realise that wasn't a thing for some people. To me it's as common as canned tuna. I also use canned clams for chowder and canned oysters. oh and sardines to eat on toast.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat canned salmon often. I love it. I have tried canned turkey and chicken and liked having the quick no-cook protein but it was very salty.

I'm not sure what you mean so cheap...they are about $3 a small can here in BC.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Oh I love canned salmon too, I didn't realise that wasn't a thing for some people. To me it's as common as canned tuna. I also use canned clams for chowder and canned oysters. oh and sardines to eat on toast.

I have never used canned clams or oysters (except hardwood smoked oysters). I would love to make chowder-any special tips? Just buy straight up canned clams? haha
  • arditarose
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I eat canned salmon often. I love it. I have tried canned turkey and chicken and liked having the quick no-cook protein but it was very salty.

I'm not sure what you mean so cheap...they are about $3 a small can here in BC.

The canned chicken is 3? I don't know. I got a 4 pack of the small canned chicken or about 3 or 4 I thought.