Emotional eating - heartbreak

Options
Zoejohnse91
Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
Emotional eating or not as the case may be. I usually eat my feelings away, stress exhaustion frustration and so on, but yesterday I found my partner was sexting his ex.
I just feel sick... my son (3yrs) helps keeps my meals regular because I eat when he does.
Just a pity party right now. ..

Replies

• Zoejohnse91
    Options
    Eugh it only posted half my post
  • melbob1
    melbob1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too, if I have a stressful day all I want is to sit at home eating pizza and drinking wine. I still feel like this but I have told myself I'm in control of my feelings and emotions and I won't be ruled by them. So I do something to distract myself. I know it isn't easy especially when you find out something so upsetting but you control this situation, don't let your emotions and what your partner has done take that control away from you. It has made me feel so much stronger. I hope this helps.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Argh what an idiot :(
    Don't worry I'm the same!
    If my husband did anything like that I'd kill him and said ex and then eat an entire whale.
    I usually stop emotional eating purely by being ridiculous and ha! You're an idiot I'll just have an awesome body and make you feel even worse :p and I'll do this by not eating chocolate!
    It is super hard though..
    Taking a long walk helps too
  • Zoejohnse91
    Options
    Thanks ladies :)
    I want to bloody scream at him. He knew the ex still liked him and just went along with it because 'it's just writing it means nothing he'd never act on it and it's innocent' :( so bloody innocent he hid it :s
    I've just not met the goal today at all, but suppose that's a little better than over eating :/
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    he was sexting or was the ex sexting?
  • Tintin13
    Tintin13 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Going through something similar. Trying now to make healthier snack choices and become A better me.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    he was sexting or was the ex sexting?
    they were sexting each other :s

• Zoejohnse91
    Options
    Tintin13 wrote: »
    Going through something similar. Trying now to make healthier snack choices and become A better me.

How's it going for you?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hope it gets easier OP.
  • DontJustWishForItWorkForIt
    Options
    Oh wow that's super messed up. I'm so sorry. I'd end up in jail for sure! Then wish a had a bag of donuts and a gallon of chocolate milk to ease the pain. lol Emotional eating was probably one of the biggest factors of my weight gain though. I know it's hard and it's ok to fall of the wagon now and then but make sure you get right back up.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Eating my emotions is why I am not losing like I know I should.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhh that is such *kitten*! i would probably give myself one day to have a major pity party eat what makes me happy and then get back to normal the next day

im really sorry
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your situation really sucks, OP. I have been going through some stuff myself in the last 7 months (not similar, but equally emotionally challenging). It took months to come to the conclusion that I cannot control anything other than: 1) my actions, 2) my reactions, and 3) how long I am willing to put up with it.

I know it is easier said than done, but control the things you can, and accept that by eating through your emotions, you are only punishing yourself. He will go on and do whatever he is going to do. Worry about yourself, and what you (and your son) need in this life. If you are so inclined, one author I find really helpful with emotional eating is Geneen Roth.
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating, yep know it well, I think I am the queen of it : ) I lost a large amount of weight 38 months ago and met a man. Stopped counting calories, logging on. Slowly, methodically it turned into an abusive relationship. At the end I did not care about anything, anyone. The only comfort I found was in eating. I was depressed, barely making it through the day. I put back on all the weight plus some. I am now back. Back to me, back to life, out of said relationship. I know how hard it is that the actions of others affect us so much. I am so sorry you have to go through this but take it from someone who knows all too well, eating will fix nothing and add even more problems. Good luck to you.
  • shirani_b1
    shirani_b1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's so horrible to hear- because it's not innocent, its hurtful and very disrespectful. I have the exact same thing when stressed, all I want is for the donuts to make me feel better, and they do for about 10 minutes. Then I feel guilty for eating them and I feel even worse. Try to substitute the bad foods with healthy ones and attack the problem head on. Also maybe put ur son on snack patrol ? Three yr olds policing parents are the cutest ^^ hope it works out!
  • shirani_b1
    shirani_b1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    nursecasg wrote: »
    Emotional eating, yep know it well, I think I am the queen of it : ) I lost a large amount of weight 38 months ago and met a man. Stopped counting calories, logging on. Slowly, methodically it turned into an abusive relationship. At the end I did not care about anything, anyone. The only comfort I found was in eating. I was depressed, barely making it through the day. I put back on all the weight plus some. I am now back. Back to me, back to life, out of said relationship. I know how hard it is that the actions of others affect us so much. I am so sorry you have to go through this but take it from someone who knows all too well, eating will fix nothing and add even more problems. Good luck to you.

Just wanted to say: go you! Well done on leaving this unhealthy relationship and being able to put everything into proportion. So often women go into their shells after such an ordeal and lose their self esteem. Good luck and have fun getting back to being you! !
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    Emotional eating or not as the case may be. I usually eat my feelings away, stress exhaustion frustration and so on, but yesterday I found my partner was sexting his ex.
    I just feel sick... my son (3yrs) helps keeps my meals regular because I eat when he does.
    Just a pity party right now. ..

Ugh - I'd like to think I've worked through my emotional eating problems.... But in all honesty, there probably would've been a big part of me that would've been tempted to order a pizza the moment I found out.

I sympathize. It's easy to think we're on top of it, but then a life-thwacking like this happens...
  • Savanna2015mfp
    Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a emotional eater also...maki g it a gaol to stop eating in front of the tv or computer
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    So scream at him.

Stop abusing yourself and take it out on the actual guilty party.

I am not an emotional eater. I AM single. ;)
  • LDgetshealthy
    LDgetshealthy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so relieved to see you struggle with this too. I am such an emotional eater - any time I am upset I eat a ton. I am so sick of how I feel after! Some great tips were offered here which I appreciate, too. Also getting the support on here is a great step so kuddos to you! Seeing that. I'm sure you will be able to become aware of the emotional eating and make changes to lessen it. I hope I can, too!