need help with fat loss macros. college student.

Options
Need advice for some low carb meals and high protein ingredients. After tracking today's meals I foolishy didn't realize that I was eating too many carbs than my body needed for fat loss. I met the number of calories needed for the day, but I lacked necessary amount of protein and fats.

Replies

• rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Do you have some sort of hormonal disorder? If not and you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight no matter how many carbs it was
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I really like eggs with cheese, high in fat and protein. Plain greek yogurt is another good choice. Chicken is another pretty obvious choice. Fish is really good too since it has fat in it. Just don't have a huge side of grains. I usually just have cucumbers and other veggies for my side. For snacks you can have nuts or PB instead of fruit.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you have some sort of hormonal disorder? If not and you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight no matter how many carbs it was

Yes, but he needs to eat enough protein to ensure that the weight loss is coming from mostly fat and not lean muscle. OP, can you open your diary?
  • droxee
    droxee Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello there!! I'm a recently graduated grad student so I feel your pain as far as time and budget are concerned (I currently live off $20 a week for food). Feel free to add me if you'd like- my diary is open :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    droxee wrote: »
    Hello there!! I'm a recently graduated grad student so I feel your pain as far as time and budget are concerned] (I currently live off $20 a week for food). Feel free to add me if you'd like- my diary is open :)

yikes! That would surely help with weight loss.

• rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try whey protein. About 30 grams or less. You can put it in a smoothie. You'll feel fuller so you won't want the carbs.
    Also try hummus (different flavours), low fat philadelphia spreads, goat cheese for protein. Low fat yogurt too but check the sugar content on it so it's not just junk food.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Yes, but he needs to eat enough protein to ensure that the weight loss is coming from mostly fat and not lean muscle. OP, can you open your diary?

Of course! I'm not suggesting he should go low-protein or anything. It just seemed like the OP thought he needed to eat low carb in order to lose weight, which is definitely not true for most people.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Of course! I'm not suggesting he should go low-protein or anything. It just seemed like the OP thought he needed to eat low carb in order to lose weight, which is definitely not true for most people.

Hm, well he said he hit his calorie goal which I'm assuming is at a deficit. I think he just needed suggestions on how to sub out all the carbs he was eating for protein?

Lean meats, fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, avocado (if you're needing more fat).
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for replying everyone. I am new to this fitness pal app and I am pretty lost to be honest. To clear things up I am going on a deficit in terms of calories. My goal is to lose weight in a healthy way in which I am not losing lean muscle in the process. @rawhidenadz No, i dont have a hormonal disorder... at least I hope I don't. :trollface: And sorry if my writing is unclear to some of you. I am not that knowledgeable about nutrition, but I would like to learn. My intent of this discussion was to seek some advice about the kinds of foods that can help me meet my protein and fats needed for personal Macros. Anyway I appreciate the comments! Means a lot. @SunnyPacheco @droxee @rwhyte @christinev297 @Justthisgirl1994
  • droxee
    droxee Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello there!! I'm a recently graduated grad student so I feel your pain as far as time and budget are concerned] (I currently live off $20 a week for food). Feel free to add me if you'd like- my diary is open :)

Ha!! One would think so, but it's (amazingly?) enough for me to maintain at 1200 calories a day :) I buy/eat mostly veggies, cheeses and egg and I only eat out once a week at most. I eat very little meat, which isn't by choice, but maybe it's a good side effect? I could sure go for a rib eye steak though haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Need advice for some low carb meals and high protein ingredients. After tracking today's meals I foolishy didn't realize that I was eating too many carbs than my body needed for fat loss. I met the number of calories needed for the day, but I lacked necessary amount of protein and fats.

macros aren't for fat loss unless you have some kind of metabolic disorder. I eat plenty of carbs and lost plenty of weight...carbs aren't the devil they've been made out to be. when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot, you burn fat...body fat is your energy reserves...so when you consume less energy (calories) than you require, your body dips into those energy reserves (fat) to make up the difference.

do not over complicate something that is really very simple.
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Ha!! One would think so, but it's (amazingly?) enough for me to maintain at 1200 calories a day :) I buy/eat mostly veggies, cheeses and egg and I only eat out once a week at most. I eat very little meat, which isn't by choice, but maybe it's a good side effect? I could sure go for a rib eye steak though haha

Rib eye steak sounds good right now... though I already ate dinner lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No, i dont have a hormonal disorder... at least I hope I don't. :trollface: And sorry if my writing is unclear to some of you. I am not that knowledgeable about nutrition, but I would like to learn. My intent of this discussion was to seek some advice about the kinds of foods that can help me meet my protein and fats needed for personal Macros. Anyway I appreciate the comments! Means a lot.

Eat enough protein. You can let go of any concerns about fat or carbs. :)