Is it better to lose weight first, gain muscle later?

Options
Skibop2010
Skibop2010 Posts: 5 Member
Hi, I'm new to the forums

Anyways, I'm currently on track to lose weight. I'm 5'2, right now at 142.5 pounds. I want to get down to 120 pounds, but I don't want to be "skinny-fat", you know, skinny but weak. I currently go to the gym and do cardio plus weight machines. I work triceps, biceps, lower back, abs, thighs, shoulders etc. The lat pulldown is my fave machine :)
I want to have definition when I get down to that size, but I'm not sure whether to just focus on losing the weight.

Also, when I do get to my goal weight, to maintain that weight, does that mean I should stop doing cardio and just focus on weight lifting?

Replies

• Skibop2010
    Options
    bump
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Focus on losing the weight but continue the weight training to conserve as much muscle as possible and avoid being skinny fat. If you can switch to a beginners weight lifting program that includes the major compound movements, such as:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curve
    All Pro

How much cardio are you doing?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should be on a lifting program now. Yesterday. You want to save LBM while you're in a deficit. Then when you get to goal, you will have something to work with and a more desired body composition. The programs mentioned above are all good.
  • Skibop2010
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Focus on losing the weight but continue the weight training to conserve as much muscle as possible and avoid being skinny fat. If you can switch to a beginners weight lifting program that includes the major compound movements, such as:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curve
    All Pro

How much cardio are you doing?

I walk to and from the gym, so 60 minutes of brisk walking, plus
    one of these cardio at the gym: elliptical (20 minutes), bike (15 minutes) or stair stepper (10 minutes)
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Lift. Get away from the weight machines and join the boys in the free weight section. I do chest/tricep on monday, back/bicep on wednesday, and shoulders/legs on friday. I lift to fail at 10 reps and switch routines every 6 weeks. I follow the Body By Design program.

I also run sprint intervals for 20 minutes then take a spin class mon-fri. (I know, but I seriously couldn't live without my run and cycle). And eat on a deficit. I've lost 40lbs so far. I've reached my goal, but might like to lose another 10 lbs.

Start lifting for 6 months and re-evaluate your goals.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    For me yes that was the much better route