Healthy lunches for work?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm running out of ideas for lunch at work. I want something different because I've been stuck eating the same thing for the past month or so.

MFP tells me to eat 1350 a day and I have >100 lbs to lose.
My breakfast is usually about 200 calories.
My snacks during work is usually a Greek yogurt and a Quest bar, so around 250 calories total.
My dinner is whatever is leftover that I didn't eat for lunch, so it's usually bigger than the lunch total.

I generally aim for 300-400 for lunch so I can have 500ish for dinner.

My lunches are generally salads (so many salads...), Lean Cuisine when I'm feeling lazy, leftovers from dinner if we manage to have any, or I'll make this yummy steamed veggie/chicken/hard boiled egg combo.

But I'd like something different! And I'm definitely no Chopped chef.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Soup is simple and filling. You can get or make it in lots of different flavors and styles. Sandwiches and wraps can also be good and varied, as long as you watch your portions. (Bread, cheese, and peanut butter can add up quickly.)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Anything you want, just make it fit into your calorie deficit. People get hung up on trying to stick to some 'ideal' of what kind of food they think they should be eating. Learn to eat the foods you like in portions that make sure you still make your calorie deficit for the day. This will lead to long-term success for you, because you will still lose weight, and you will still be eating foods that you enjoy eating.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've been having cereal and an egg and fruit for lunch recently and that comes to 350ish cal.

For different frozen meals I like Amy's kitchen: http://www.amys.com/
    They are a little pricey but very tasty
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Anything you want, just make it fit into your calorie deficit. People get hung up on trying to stick to some 'ideal' of what kind of food they think they should be eating. Learn to eat the foods you like in portions that make sure you still make your calorie deficit for the day. This will lead to long-term success for you, because you will still lose weight, and you will still be eating foods that you enjoy eating.

Well said. After failing at this diet and that diet I'm FINALLY seeing the light and learning (thanks to MFP) how to incorporate the things I like and still meet my calorie goals.

• madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

This. Make whatever you love work for you - cook hamburger patties out of ground turkey or chicken (or even salmon), and eat it on top of a bed of spinach; turn a sandwich into a lettuce wrap; make soup; make some meatballs and eat them with spaghetti squash (or a small serving of pasta)... you can modify/moderate any food you love and eat it on a regular basis!
  • Bunna99
    Bunna99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This one is good but does take a little bit of prep the first time. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/black_bean_salmon_tostadas.html

Also have you tried mason jar salads? There are some great recipes and you could make them ahead.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fond of salads, but I really don't care for leafy greens. My current favorites are black bean salad (which can be virtually no-prep) and cucumber salad. Making a week's portion of both takes a bit over 2 hours' prep on Sunday, but a lot of that is seeding the tomatoes. Time consuming, but really worth it.

I actually like my salads without dressing, so I keep the calorie count down a bit. You can find versions of both recipes on Pinterest, or PM me and I will give you the recipes I use.

Other "standby" lunches have been: wasa cracker with cream cheese and deli meat, crustless "pizza" (canadian bacon slice, topped with pineapple ring and a dab of tomato paste), hard boiled eggs, hummus and veggies.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes are in season and my mom just gave me some from her garden. This week I will be eating fresh diced tomatoes with cottage cheese for lunch. What is in season by you? By changing up what you eat by the season, you add variety and get the best flavor.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Oh and tuna or egg salad stuffed tomatoes is yummy too. I get tired of lettuce salads too, so most of my salads are just tons of different veggies (not leafy stuff usually) and maybe some meat or grains.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of variety in my meals, makes me more satisfied. Example, today for 396 calories I had:

evol frozen meal (Fire Grilled Chicken Poblano)
    Small mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, feta, and light ranch.
    Light mozzarella string cheese stick
    Watermelon

So this gave me something hot, something green and crunchy, cold/dairy, and sweet. I find that this is KEY for me to be happy with my meals, especially lunch at work. Keeps me from mindlessly snacking in the afternoon!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is what I am currently eating at my desk:
    - 100g of grilled chicken breast (made a ton yesterday so I could eat on it this week)
    - 85g baby carrots
    - a mixture of fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, with a little honey.
    This totaled to 224 calories, and I will probably have a greek yogurt around 3-4 since I have a workout tonight.

Some other things I will do when I'm eating lunch at work are: carrots and hummus, grilled chicken tenderloins with homemade wing sauce, greek yogurt and a savory kind bar.
  • LisaBatPSU
    LisaBatPSU Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Check out 80 calorie low carb wheat wraps (Father Sam's). Easy on the calories so you can put a good amount of whatever you like in there. It was leftover chicken, mushrooms, and a serving of shredded cheese for me today = 330 cal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I often make something ahead for a few lunches on Sundays. I like using the opportunity to slow cook something--pork shoulder (although that is more calories) or a turkey breast or other turkey parts or lamb shanks are some favorites. Sometimes I make a meat sauce for pasta with lean ground beef and lots of vegetables. This Sunday I roasted a chicken.

Then I pack up lunches with the meat I made ahead, vegetables, and usually (not always) some kind of starch like corn or sweet potatoes or potatoes. If I want lower calories I sub extra vegetables for the starch. (A couple of weeks ago I roasted a spaghetti squash on Sunday and used it with my lunches.) I usually bring some fruit too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh, I've been doing this for dinner, but it would make a good lunch too, and I've got an insane number of cucumbers right now: spicy cucumber and tomato salad. I chop those ingredients and add radishes plus whatever else seems good (usually including some cooked vegetables like zucchini or whatever I have on hand), some cilantro or basil if you prefer it and then make a spicy dressing with sriracha, fish sauce, soy sauce, and lime juice. It's good cold with almost any meat--I've been having it with shrimp, but it's great with lean beef.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    also, when I make suppers, I make double portions, so my hubs can take them to work to eat for lunch. that way, we've got everything weighed out already and he knows how many calories it is, and it's a premade meal.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Have some pasta. 1 oz of spaghetti is about 100 calories and it's a decent amount for lunch. Then make or buy some spaghetti sauce! Then grill some chicken with it and even have a side salad.

You can eat delicious things, just in a smaller portion than before :)