Canned Chicken?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I like it. After opening I rinse and drain it (while still in the can) a couple times to make it less salty.
    I wasn't aware canned chicken was such a novelty in people's minds until I witnessed people's reactions to the idea in another thread a few weeks ago. Like seeing people get weirded out over mac n cheese.
    It's always been right there by the canned tuna and salmon in every grocery store i've ever been to, and a pantry staple for quick casseroles, enchiladas, etc.

I like it mixed with laughing cow cheese for an easy, low cal high protein spread. Canned salmon and tuna work just as well.

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    i use both canned chicken & tuna (and salmon!). sometimes i eat it plain or with a little bit of stuff mixed in as a snack. or i use the canned chicken (sometimes tuna) in things like salads, burritos/quesadillas, a pot full of veggies/beans/salsa w some chicken in it etc. i'll throw it in pasta type dishes too. really it can be used in so many places. the sodium has never bothered me personally. and it's cheap & filling.

i like the great value brand & valley fresh. and starkist when it comes to tuna. :smile:

How do you like the canned salmon? I've been shying away from it.

I tried canned shrimp the other week. The kind I got were tasty but they were really really mini and they kind of just got crushed up in my salad.

oh wow, i've never seen canned shrimp. or rather, i don't pay attention. plus i'm allergic now :'( enjoy the shrimp for me...

the canned salmon wasn't too bad! a little bland, but good thrown in a salad. i still prefer baked/grilled salmon. but it's not too shabby for some protein in a salad or something. i just add lots of pepper & dressing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    i use both canned chicken & tuna (and salmon!). sometimes i eat it plain or with a little bit of stuff mixed in as a snack. or i use the canned chicken (sometimes tuna) in things like salads, burritos/quesadillas, a pot full of veggies/beans/salsa w some chicken in it etc. i'll throw it in pasta type dishes too. really it can be used in so many places. the sodium has never bothered me personally. and it's cheap & filling.

i like the great value brand & valley fresh. and starkist when it comes to tuna. :smile:

How do you like the canned salmon? I've been shying away from it.

I tried canned shrimp the other week. The kind I got were tasty but they were really really mini and they kind of just got crushed up in my salad.

oh wow, i've never seen canned shrimp. or rather, i don't pay attention. plus i'm allergic now :'( enjoy the shrimp for me...

the canned salmon wasn't too bad! a little bland, but good thrown in a salad. i still prefer baked/grilled salmon. but it's not too shabby for some protein in a salad or something. i just add lots of pepper & dressing.

Okay. I think I'll try. I like easy stuff like that for lunch.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I prefer canned tuna over fresh tuna and will not be getting on a high horse about canned chicken. I'd try it if it weren't for the salt. I've eaten bagged chicken, so why not canned?

My husband does, too!!! WILL NOT eat fresh. Makes a mash of canned + mayo and just wolfs it down. But...I can't stand canned tuna except in one particular tuna casserole but I like it fresh.

I tried canned salmon, and I just could not like it, either. :( Taste is about the same, but the texture changes. The texture's a lot like canned tuna.

I LIKE the idea of putting it on a salad, though! Might try that!

It's not snobbery--I'm down with canning. :) I just...don't like it.

I've seen canned scallops. I've never tried them.

Also, this flabbergasts me a bit: http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chicken-without-Giblets/dp/B00BX31YC6
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Mixed wth diced tomato & hot sauce. On a wheat thin crisp low sodium cracker... OR... Rolled into a lettuce leaf. As a soft taco alternative minus the tortilla.. Wayyy healthier. And very refreshing n crisp.!!!! Yummmm

YUMMY!!! <3:)

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Oh I love canned salmon too, I didn't realise that wasn't a thing for some people. To me it's as common as canned tuna. I also use canned clams for chowder and canned oysters. oh and sardines to eat on toast.

I have never used canned clams or oysters (except hardwood smoked oysters). I would love to make chowder-any special tips? Just buy straight up canned clams? haha

I got some canned clams on clearance once and made chowder...hubby (who's the chowder eater) said it would be middle-of-the-line for restaurant chowder. But I don't actually care for clam chowder, so I can't say. He's not usually "nice" about what I cook (because if he is, I'll keep cooking stuff he hates, like cabbage soup!!!).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like canned salmon for salmon patties, too. So easy and a good make-ahead for lunches. I've never made chowder with any clams but canned, so I don't know how different it is but I really like them! My biggest tip is to not drain them, use the juice in the chowder too for optimal flavour.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Costco and Sams both have excellent white meat chicken canned in water. 2oz Kirkland (Costco) chicken is 60 calories, 13g protein, 1g fat, 0g carbs, 270mg sodium. I use it quite often, most often on top of salad.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    moondrake wrote: »
    Costco and Sams both have excellent white meat chicken canned in water. 2oz Kirkland (Costco) chicken is 60 calories, 13g protein, 1g fat, 0g carbs, 270mg sodium. I use it quite often, most often on top of salad.
    Agree. Costco's brand canned salmon is excellent too. It's actually more expensive than the namebrand salmon they carry, which isn't typical for their housebrand to be more expensive than the namebrand, but it remarkably superior imo, I won't buy the namebrand salmon over Costco's salmon, even on sale.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I eat canned salmon often. I love it. I have tried canned turkey and chicken and liked having the quick no-cook protein but it was very salty.

I'm not sure what you mean so cheap...they are about $3 a small can here in BC.

The canned chicken is 3? I don't know. I got a 4 pack of the small canned chicken or about 3 or 4 I thought.

I'm in Canada. so expensive lol

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds gross, but I eat canned tuna, so I don't have much room to talk. :)

Same here. I like tinned makerel.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I just had some of the low sodium Great Value canned chicken tonight. It was okay. There's something magical about the canned chicken at Costco though, so I'll keep getting the 6-pack there for like $14.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just had some of the low sodium Great Value canned chicken tonight. It was okay. There's something magical about the canned chicken at Costco though, so I'll keep getting the 6-pack there for like $14.

Noted, I've seen it before but hadn't tried it.
  • Bunna99
    Bunna99 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the Kirkland canned chicken from Costco also. I always rinse it before mixing it with mayo to make chicken salad for my husband and daughter. Makes it taste better without all the salt on it. Same goes for diced ham.

I've also eaten the pouches of salmon (like the ones they have for tuna) and as long as you get them in water, they're pretty good. Mix coleslaw with some juice from a jar of sliced jalapenos and some cilantro. Mix salmon with avocado and jalapenos. Mmm! Tastes good even without the black beans or tortillas. Here's the original recipe. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/black_bean_salmon_tostadas.html
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My only issue with canned chicken is that it tends to be a little more expensive than tuna and sardines... and I really love sardines