Fat percentage help?

Options
halljessica
halljessica Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I exercise daily, watch my calorie and portion intake. Iv lost 6lbs and my bmi has gone down but, my fat percentage has stayed the same as well as waist inches. Can someone please give me some pointers on how to lower the fat percentage?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    How are you determining your body fat percentage? If you're using any method besides dexa or hydrostatic weighing, there will be fluctuations that depend on a lot of factors.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    To directly answer your question. You need 3 things.

You need to be in a calorie deficit
    You need to do resistance training regularly
    You need to eat a high protein diet
  • halljessica
    Options
    I do eat a lot of high protien, but what is resistance training?
  • halljessica
    Options
    I go to a weight loss center that measures water %, bmi and fat % and other stuff
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Resistance training is doing exercises like weight lifting or body weight exercises. The best ones to do are lifting heavy weights with compound movements like squats, deadlift, and military press.

The bio impedance measurements (I assume that's what they're using) are not going to be accurate because the measurements change based on your hydration level. For example, measure your BF% when you get to the gym, then measure it again after you work out. I bet it will be significantly different.
  • nickimassee
    nickimassee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should try interval training. High intensity for a short period of time. It helped kick start my body fat percentage.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Try adding Olive Oil to your diet. Just sub in even an olive oil dressing for a creamy one. Results in days. (2 tablespoons a day.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Try adding Olive Oil to your diet. Just sub in even an olive oil dressing for a creamy one. Results in days. (2 tablespoons a day.)

wat?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot of high protien, but what is resistance training?

Lifting heavy things, for instance. It preserves muscle.

The usual measures aren't going to be sensitive enough to accurately pick out a 6lbs loss on an average obese person, though, so don't worry too much unless they're doing hydrostatic testing or dexa scans every time you come in.