Emotional eating suggestions?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I feel like I've mostly been doing okay with eating the right amount, keeping track of things for the first time. But when I feel particularly upset/self loathing my willpower goes out the window.

I'll eat bad things to feel the "violence" of eating, which is really weird. It hasn't been too bad lately, I have an air popper, so I'm not buying chips again or anything. But still, eating massive amounts of popcorn with butter is still not great, and my calorie goal today is long gone.

Does anyone have experience with this, or any tips about keeping your willpower when you hate yourself and get into a very self-deprecating spiral of thoughts?

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Physically changing locations helps a LOT. If you eat at home, getting out of the house...
  • kiela64
    Options
    I've been trying to convince myself to go to the gym for a couple days, but I haven't made it out of the house yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I think it really does help to not be at home, but sometimes I get very anxious about being in public which is a pain in the butt. :P
  • JasonUMcDaniel
    JasonUMcDaniel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to turn that negative energy into exercise. Its times like that i get my best workouts in because i am more 'driven' than usual. If that makes sense. Work out your frustrations.
  • kiela64
    Options
    I try to turn that negative energy into exercise. Its times like that i get my best workouts in because i am more 'driven' than usual. If that makes sense. Work out your frustrations.

the problem is to work out I need to be in public. Even working out at home is "public" as my family can tell/will see me & make comments. Sometimes that's not too big of a deal and other times it is. I definitely feel like going for a walk or a swim now (or hitting something would be nice), but it's after midnight. I definitely think you're right, though. That's the best way to deal with irritation.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same issue as you. I felt compelled to eat and it was like I couldn't control myself. I finally saw my doctor and got treated for anxiety. Maybe seeing your doctor would help. It's made a huge difference for me. Good luck!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You may be getting something out of your negative self-loathing thoughts. Like being rewarded with buttered popcorn.

I'd suggest switching to an oil spray or spritzing water to make seasonings stick to your air-popped popcorn.

As for negative thoughts, what worked for me was just stopping myself and telling myself "Don't be dumb emo." I just chose to stop taking the thoughts seriously and bum myself out for no reason.