Exercising with arthritis

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on exercising with arthritis? I was recently diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and I am in a lot of pain but everything I have read says to stay active.

Replies

• svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I believe swimming and yoga are good for your particular diagnosis. Arthritis in general needs to move - your brain will tell you otherwise, especially when you are feeling pain, but exercise will help decrease or even take the pain away. I have pretty bad arthritis, but I am very active and virtually pain free. I also eat as much as possible an anti inflammatory diet. Dr. Weil's has a good outline - you can use the googles to find out more.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with svirds! I have arthritis in the knees and too many back issues to list. Being active through the exercise and strength training (to the degree you can do) are your friends. I didn't believe it when my doctor recommended being more active but she was right. I joined LA Fitness last month because of their aquatics class. It offers movement with little to no impact on the joints. And it's just plain fun. Look into it. If you don't have an LA Fitness in your area I think the YMCA also offers aquatics classes. And if you can't find that just get in the pool and move around. I think you'll find it really helps. Good luck to you!
  • orangefluff4
    orangefluff4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Strengthening the muscles in your back (for your diagnosis) and all over in general will be really helpful. Strength training, like madkcole mentioned is a great thing to do! I also forgot to mention that I use Joint Vibrance every day. It has worked wonders on my joints! I think that in combination with my activity level - I run, bike, swim, walk, strength train, and do yoga - has made all the difference in taking control over the arthritis pain, instead of it controlling me. Good Luck!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look up chair exercise, see if you can record low impact exercises from your tv or get some videos from your library