Alternatives for potato chips?

Options
droxee
droxee Posts: 23 Member
I don't buy them often (maybe once every two months) but when they're at family gatherings or other events I get a weird craving for them. Sounds like I'm talking about a drug, geez haha I've begun eating roasted seaweed (which has the saltiness and crunch) but am interested in what other people do. Thanks!!

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I tried making some kale chips but didn't really like them. Was never really into chips to begin with.
  • mgotthold
    mgotthold Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love dried seaweed. Might be little high in sodium but nice little crunch.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    if it's only on occasion then I say just have a handful or two. Other than that you could try the "baked" chips. Or you could slice some potatoes super thin and bake them yourself.

I love potatoes. Especially mashed.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Seaweed is good.
    Cucumber slices with salt and pepper, chickpeas with salt and pepper, edamame, popcorn, cheese poofs (not that caloric really, lots of volume like popcorn)
    I also like Calbee snapea crisps.

I dunno, chip substitutions are like substitutions for fries. It's better if you don't look at your dinky fruit cup or apple slices as a "substitute" if you don't want to depress yourself.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There really is no substitute for the awesomeness that is the Lay's Potato Chip.

But when I want crunchy stuff, I'll either have a rice cake or the hard, white parts of the lettuce. Salsa goes nicely with the white lettuce and is a super low-cal snack. Rice cakes don't really work with salsa, IMO.

If I just want the repeated hand-to-mouth thing like people enjoy at the movies, I'll get a bag of shredded lettuce and eat that.

Special K makes a kinda-sorta healthy version of potato chips called Cracker Chips. They're good, but they're not Lay's in the yellow bag.

Some things, like chocolate and the Lay's chips in the yellow bag, you just can't really substitute, IMO.
  • droxee
    droxee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There really is no substitute for the awesomeness that is the Lay's Potato Chip.

This line!! Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions (I really enjoy the Calbee pea snaps, too!!) I think it is a good idea, and some have suggested, if I don't think of these as "substitutes" because that mentality might get a bit frustrating. Oddly enough, I also really like mashed potatoes, but there's something about Lays that make it much harder for me to portion myself... Big bowl at party = on and off snacking all evening :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I crave potato chips when I need salt.

So I've started eating either a pickle or salted cucumber slices every day instead.
  • showtherealyou
    showtherealyou Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that like you said, roasted seaweed, also taking squash and cutting it into small chunk and roasting until it gets chewy and putting salt (saltiness and sweet), or roasting potato slices in the oven with a little sunflower oil and salt and pepper... it sounds kinda gross but tastes really good, and is really good.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Popchips and Special K cracker chips.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I find that corn chips are a good alternative to potato chips.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I eat potato chips regularly. But when I want something different (or don't quite have the calories to blow on a serving of chips that day), I'll have the special K cracker chips or a 100 cal bag of popcorn. You still get that crunchy, salty feeling and more volume for the calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've never been really into potato chips (french fries were more my weakness), but I find that roasted potatoes really satisfy my potato-related desires. Drizzle with some olive oil before cooking and add some salt. Delicious. I like these far more than a bag of chips.

Also, nothing wrong with potatoes.

For that matter, nothing wrong with some chips in moderation, but I imagine they can be a difficult food to moderate because of how people tend to eat them--from a large bowl or bag.

For salty treats I adore popcorn, but have as hard a time moderating that as many do chips, so don't tend to have it that often. Oddly enough, pickles can satisfy my desire for crunch and salt too (but I've always loved them).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've never been really into potato chips (french fries were more my weakness), but I find that roasted potatoes really satisfy my potato-related desires. Drizzle with some olive oil before cooking and add some salt. Delicious. I like these far more than a bag of chips.

Also, nothing wrong with potatoes.

For that matter, nothing wrong with some chips in moderation, but I imagine they can be a difficult food to moderate because of how people tend to eat them--from a large bowl or bag.

For salty treats I adore popcorn, but have as hard a time moderating that as many do chips, so don't tend to have it that often. Oddly enough, pickles can satisfy my desire for crunch and salt too (but I've always loved them).

I love popcorn too! If you use a little oil when popping, the toppings will stick much better. I can't buy the big pre-popped bags....not in my house.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    i don't eat chips all that often...so really, I don't worry about it when I do have chips.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Dried seaweed is my favourite. I can go through a crap-ton of that stuff.

Also, I love kale chips made in my dehydrator - they're amazing! My favourite, however, has to be king oyster mushroom chips. Chewy-crunchy texture, amazing flavour and they're better than every chip I've ever had.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I like Bare apple chips. They're a bit expensive in opinion but I figure they're healthier than buying a extra large bag of potato chips. I also munch on veggies (peppers, snap peas are my fave) and I do like the Special K chips but I'm trying to resist less than stellar carbs right now.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love Quaker Popped mini rice cakes in just about any flavor. Plus one serving = 18 mini cakes and only 130 calories. Still not an exact substitute for potato chips but they have a satisfying crunch and really do taste good.
  • Mako1968
    Mako1968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat when it comes to eating potato chips. They trigger a binge for me so I avoid them most of the time.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the cool trick to pop popcorn in a brown paper bag. Pop in micro. Spray with zero cal Kernal Sensations butter spray. Sprinkle with salt. 83 cals for 2 cups.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have Snapea Crisps. They somehow have a potato-y aftertaste and have just the right amount of salt. But you only get 22 of them for 110 calories.

For crackers with chili and stuff I take a Flatout artesian pizza flat bread and stick it in the toaster oven for 10 minutes. It dries out and becomes crispy and tastes just like saltine crackers. The whole thing is 120 calories and if you cut it up it would equal about 8 crackers.