Exercising in the Pool?

Options
sebaseth
sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
Hey Everyone, I live in FL and as you know it is Hot, Hot, Hot this time of year. I recently bought one of those put together yourself pools and thought about exercising in the water to stay cool. I've checked out some info online and you can burn more calories working out in the pool. Is anybody else doing this? If so what kind of results are you having? And what exercises are you doing?

Replies

• MarceloFitness
    Options
    Here in Brazil is also a very hot, so do water aerobics in the pool, is a type of underwater bycicle that burns twice as much fat from the conventional.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I take water aerobics at the YMCA. I love it! Check out youtube for some ideas!
  • Keesy
    Keesy Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm in NZ and it's warm half the year here too but I excerise at a public indoor pool while my boys have swimming lessons. I aqua jog using a rock climbing techinque. It's a 25 metre pool and in 20 minutes I do 26 lengths using rock climbing technique. It's my second go and I'm lapping swimmers in the fast lane but I was a swimmer 30 years ago. I'm hoping to do 30 in 20 this week. I use it to cross train with rowing, spinning and kettbells. I find it really loosens the body up after kettlebells and I'm doing something rather than sitting on the floor floor watching the kids do lessons. Oddly the kids are doing heaps better without me supervising them!
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I cannot swim. I am afraid of water EXCEPT when I accept an invite to square dance in water. After the hour or so I can really feel it. Moving vertically in water to music at a fast pace is exciting. I forget my fear and it is all fun.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do yuo have kids? My son weighs about 60 lb, so I put him on my back and carry him around while I am "running" back and forth across the shallow end of the pool. Can really feel it in my legs. There are also weight I have seen for use in the pool. It is already in the high 90's low 100's here in Texas so I think I will be using pool exercise a lot this summer.
  • sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info and tips! I liked the idea about the kids, I have 2 boys, one weighing 122lbs & the other at 77lbs. I may attempt my smaller guy! I am going to check out YouTube also!:smile:
  • Kwintsch
    Kwintsch Posts: 3
    Options
    I do the same thing. I put my four year old in lessons and I swim laps or aqua jog with a belt. It's great exercise and it stregthen and tones your legs. I was an aquatics instructor for over 15 years andtaught water aerobics ( an all over body workout) I've had women that had injuries of the knee and they couldn't do the traditional aerobics on land. They swear that they could walk and were more mobile because of the water aerobics. We had so much fun in our class chatting we forgot we were exercising. Join a class if you can.... try aqua zumba!