Low carb..... potato?

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
o_0 SRSLY?

http://zerellafresh.com.au/spudlite/

I picked up a bag on these at the store, because they were on clearance for 99c for 1.5kg. I'm totally sceptical, but I'll try anything for a dollar.

They look like normal potatoes, but apparently have the following nutritional info per 100g:

Calories: 49
Protein: 1.4
Total carb: 8.9
Fibre: 1.4

I'm sure that they have done terrifying things to knock the carbs down like that, but I'll give them a go... I'll report back. Let's hope the GMO's don't mutate me and I end up looking like this:

mrs-potato-head-profile.jpg

Replies

• mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of those before...I'm very curious how they taste. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this post.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Well, I just peeled some for mash and they feel like normal potatoes...
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Curious....very curious....
  • amZhn
    amZhn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I see you're from Australia! They also have carisma potatoes sold at coles which is supposedly low gi and low carb too
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    amZhn wrote: »
    I see you're from Australia! They also have carisma potatoes sold at coles which is supposedly low gi and low carb too

Yeah, I've heard of those before too. To be honest, I'm not low carbing and generally wouldn't pick up a lower cal potato, but they were on super sale and I thought I'd give them a go for like, science. I still haven't cooked them yet lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Are you glowing in the dark, yet? :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I still only have 2 eyes! The mash is... fine? It's just mash. Maybe a bit grainy, but I don't know that I'd notice it if I wasn't looking for something odd, you know?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Results are in, the husband couldn't tell and he's a huge mash fiend.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    25% less carbs ? so more water I guess.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    25% less carbs ? so more water I guess.

I figured that too, but it didn't seem to decrease in volume when mashed. I won't be paying the unbelievable price for them, but as a 99c experiment, they surprisingly didn't suck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    amZhn wrote: »

I've been using the carisma potatoes for a while. Can't tell any difference in taste or texture.