This may be a stupid question but

Options
This may be a stupid question but I am curious. I am always on the go and usually don't eat until I get home from work. If I eat most of my calories at night will this cause me to gain weight since I am not burning them off at night? I still am active at work and do my normal activities during the day just like any other person.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people say they don't lose when they eat at night. Some people say they always eat right before sleeping and lose lots and lots.

Why not try eating late and see if it works for you? You can always switch. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    What Kalikel said. Some swear that if you eat after 6pm it will go right to fat. I think it's baloney. I think as long as you don't go over your calories for the day you'll lose.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I often don't get home from the gym until 8 or 8:30. I usually eat dinner between 9 and 10. Works for me :smiley:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you take in calories. I don't care what others say. You can't gain weight if you are at a deficit. It's impossible.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I would think of it like depositing money in your checking account. If you make your daily deposit at night instead of breaking it up into mini deposits throughout the day, will you thereby accumulate more funds in your checking account?

You store and burn fat constantly, all day, all night. If your body is short 500 calories it needs, you eating at night vs day isn't going to change that. Anymore that you making bank deposits at night vs day going to create magic money on an overdraft account.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You put gas in your far before you drive, not after. I also don't believe that eating after a certain time will make you gain weight as long as you eat at a calorie deficit. That's really the most important thing. Eat and a deficit and get some exercise. The only thing maybe to consider is sleep disturbances/heartburn if you are going to bed shortly after eating a lot of food.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    I eat late at night before going to bed.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Your body is still burning kcal while asleep, and if you're under what it needs for the day it's gonna use that food, not store it!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Your body is still burning kcal while asleep, and if you're under what it needs for the day it's gonna use that food, not store it!

All the right answers there. Well said.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter when you take in calories. I don't care what others say. You can't gain weight if you are at a deficit. It's impossible.

^This! :)