I met my goal weight, what next?

Options
i still expect to lose more as I keep losing a couple of pounds per week fairly easily. My next goal is to get from 147 down to 139. I'm 5'8" and most my weight is carried in my legs. I've still got some pudge here and there but I'm been happy about my appearance. I want to see if it's possible for me to be in the 120's. I'm young so I think that's what's also helping me (turning 21) and I'm active everyday, aiming at 10k steps and 5 miles. Should I go for it?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You want to be at a scarily close to underweight scale weight ... why?

The BMI range is 122 to 165lbs for your height, but most places recommend aiming for 20 -25 BMI not

Why not focus on your body composition instead?

If you were me, or my daughter I'd say find your maintenance TDEE and eat that and follow a progressive resistance programme to get a decent musculature .. because that's where the pudge goes

Edited for appalling typo
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with the mid 120's, I am aiming for something similar and I am 40. 130 is my first goal but mid to early 120's is what I will ultimately push for. It depends on your frame. I have a small frame with small feet and ankles despite being tall and look perky and tight at that weight.

The body recomp advice is good, but you need to feel comfortable with your own goal. Resistance work will do wonders but you might also need to be lighter to get the look you want.

Robin Wright, for example, is rumored to be 124 and 5.7. That is the look I am after personally. Athletic, lean muscles, small chest and dancer-like. If you want busty, round muscled gym girl, you will have to go higher.

Depends on personal taste.
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is at least 2200+. Just the last time I went to the gym and tried gaining muscle, I Ate a lot and binged. Bmi is a good estimate but they don't take into consideration of muscle mass which idk and my mom would have to pay to get checked bc to the insurance company, I have no health problems . I'm aiming to be toned but I'm just afraid to eat too much calories. I still think I weigh too much or it's just the look of my legs. I just want skinny legs, that too much to ask? It's always been my biggest concern.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with the mid 120's, I am aiming for something similar and I am 40. 130 is my first goal but mid to early 120's is what I will ultimately push for. It depends on your frame. I have a small frame with small feet and ankles despite being tall and look perky and tight at that weight.

The body recomp advice is good, but you need to feel comfortable with your own goal. Resistance work will do wonders but you might also need to be lighter to get the look you want.

Robin Wright, for example, is rumored to be 124 and 5.7. That is the look I am after personally. Athletic, lean muscles, small chest and dancer-like. If you want busty, round muscled gym girl, you will have to go higher.

Depends on personal taste.

She's 5'8

It's close to underweight though still within acceptable parameters of 122lb to 165lbs, based on her not being an outlier and that being a population measure

as I said in my original reply many sites point to the healthiest range to aim for is BMI of 20 to 25 - for 5'8 so 130lbs -165lb

as someone who professes to be happyish with her appearance at 147 and aiming for 139 I see no reason to aim lower

also if you're aiming for athletic and lean then you're looking at muscle which we all know weighs more by volume than fat does. This is absolutely is about body composition .. at the lower ends of weight on scale there is minimal musculature .. and muscle rocks

• Sued0nim
    Options
    My TDEE is at least 2200+. Just the last time I went to the gym and tried gaining muscle, I Ate a lot and binged. Bmi is a good estimate but they don't take into consideration of muscle mass which idk and my mom would have to pay to get checked bc to the insurance company, I have no health problems . I'm aiming to be toned but I'm just afraid to eat too much calories. I still think I weigh too much or it's just the look of my legs. I just want skinny legs, that too much to ask? It's always been my biggest concern.

Compound lifts - squats, lunges etc .. progressive weights
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    120 is extremely low for your height! Is it possible to get there, yeah probably. Is it a healthy weight for you ... maybe not?

If you're happy at your current weight why not just tone up , lift weights etc (if you don't already) that way you'll tighten up what you already have.
    Just a suggestion, and good luck B)
  • nikkara_g
    nikkara_g Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to get down to mid 120s like was posted earlier. I'm 125-127 lbs at 5' 7.5" (or 57.7 kg and 171cm). Just remember that it's not really about the number on the scale. It's about how you feel and whether you're getting your nutritional requirements.
    Like chandelierbee, i carry most of my weight in my legs and despite being on the thinner side, my legs are still quite 'pudgy' so I would definitely recommend the suggestions that the others gave.
    Also remember that BMI is quite a general calculation and unfortunately, like a lot of other things in medicine, a specialized unique approach may be better. BMI has several limitations as well, e.g. muscle is not differentiated from fat.
    Being healthy and comfortable in your body is most important, so if you want to get down to 129 and you are still in good health, do it!
  • chandelierbee
    chandelierbee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To me, losing 17 pounds hasn't really made a dent in my physical appearance. But I want to lose the weight first then gain the muscle or should I eat my maintaining calories every other day to get muscle?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    To me, losing 17 pounds hasn't really made a dent in my physical appearance. But I want to lose the weight first then gain the muscle or should I eat my maintaining calories every other day to get muscle?

Don't wait, start now. Eat just under maintenence and lift heavy things.

And read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1