Sure this has been asked 1000x before...

Options
How long was it before you guys started to see results? I started working out and eating properly just over a week ago. I told myself I would wait until 4 weeks were up before I would weigh myself again but alas, there I was this morning back on the scale - I'm just too impatient!

I hadn't lost weight, however I didn't gain any either and I'm yet to see even a slight change in the way my clothes are fitting. Am I just too impatient/checking too soon? I know some people weigh themselves every day but that's not how I want to do things.

I must admit it's knocked my confidence but not enough to stop doing what I'm doing :)

How long was it before you guys started to notice the changes?

Replies

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but for me it was almost 3 weeks. I was working out 4-5 days a week; logging and weighing all foods; drinking at least 8 cups of water/tea a day. I'll admit I felt like a real loser--and not weight loser. Hang in there...your body will get the message soon enough. Just remember that gym machine calories-burned estimates are usually over-stated. If you're not using a food scale, invest in one asap.
  • jh169327
    jh169327 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    Everyone is different but for me it was almost 3 weeks. I was working out 4-5 days a week; logging and weighing all foods; drinking at least 8 cups of water/tea a day. I'll admit I felt like a real loser--and not weight loser. Hang in there...your body will get the message soon enough. Just remember that gym machine calories-burned estimates are usually over-stated. If you're not using a food scale, invest in one asap.

That sounds a lot like what I'm doing, working out 6 days a week, being sensible with my food and eating at a deficit. Not quite there with the water intake yet but trying my hardest every day to hydrate myself as much as possible.

I do have food scales and I do use them, just not enough as I should! (I.e every meal!)

I think you're right with my body not getting the message yet, it's so frustrating to have so much motivation and having your body not co-operate fast enough to the changes you're making! I have faith that I will get there eventually though :)

thank you for sharing :)
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yeah one week is way too soon :) took me about a month before I felt any changes, and around 2 weeks for the scale to drop. Keep at it and be patient :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    4-6 weeks for any major change to diet/fitness, it can take your body a while to adjust.

Some people will see results instantly - esp if they go low carb with no exercise - but that is just because they drop a lot of water weight straight away. But for true fat loss results it's a few weeks.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always seem to drop a lot in the first couple of weeks but that's because my diet is utter crap and I do zero exercise when I'm not in the motivation zone! The honeymoon usually ends about three weeks in (as it did this week :/ ) when things come grinding to a halt and it will take another 1-2 weeks to get going again. So yeah, I would say 3-4 weeks is about right to see proper results start to happen (for you normal people anyway :) You won't have made any significant changes in fat to muscle ratio yet either so that's why clothes not fitting better. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water. Hang in there, you sound like you're doing everything right.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    A week. Pfffffffffft.

It took years (decades?) to put the weight on, right?

BTW: Define "eating properly" for us, please. K-thx.
  • jh169327
    jh169327 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys, I guess I'm just a bit too eager :D still motivated to keep going though and be happy in myself :) I feel a lot better since I've started working out :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    6 weeks, minimum.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out you may retain water as your body repairs itself. So you can be losing a bit of fat but gaining a bit of water. In another week you might suddenly drop a couple pounds as your body releases the water. :) I saw a 2 lb drop this first week, but I was eating crap before (lots of water weight and a big calorie change), time of month had an effect, and I have a lot (40lbs) to lose. If you are making smaller changes to diet, or didn't have a lot of water weight, or have different hormonal changes, or don't have as far to go, you may not see a quick change. :)
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I first sw changes in appearance and the scale around 3 weeks. Working out helps for the appearance changes.