Eating back exercise calories

Options
Curious to know who eats back the calories that you've burned with exercise? I personally don't but just wondered who does

Replies

• Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating maybe 1/4 of them, I'm just not hungry so don't feel I need to eat more than that.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit to calculate my exercise calories (since the only exercise I do is walking), and eat them all back, because I can barely stay in my calories as it is.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i use the TDEE method so i dont eat back any
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't usually but if I'm hungry I will.
    Or if I know I'm going out for a big meal/drinks/celebration I'll make sure I workout in the morning to compensate for the extra intake later in the day.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hardly ever track them, hardly ever eat them back. On the occasional very hungry day I will eat back some of them and log them so that my diary balances. I hate the seeing the red.
  • marwyvi
    marwyvi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coming from my experience, it's better not to.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I usually add about 100 to my intake depends how hungry I feel :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I used to.

Now I use the TDEE method and include them in my goal, which is simply a different form of eating them back that doesn't require logging.

IF you log accurately and are keeping an aggressive deficit and work out vigorously on top of that without eating more, that's a bad idea. The plans that don't involve eating back are different, as they should be based on an estimate of your overall activity already (or a less aggressive deficit).
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It depends how hungry I am, I try to eat intuitively. I usually eat back about 1/4 of them, but it varies - sometimes none, sometimes all. I often hoard them for use on the weekends.
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat some of mine back. For me it's a good motivator to do some exercise, even if it's just a stroll, and I already have quite a big deficit. If it's several hundred, though, I only eat back half, otherwise it doesn't feel worth it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I'm not trying to lose fat. I usually eat over all of calories almost everyday (not by a huge amount). I'm focused on strength; and I like to workout. I only track calories, b/c I log my food to track my protein intake.
  • meddaugh48
    meddaugh48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i use the TDEE method so i don't eat back any

Same here.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat back some of them if I am hungry and need it, but I usually don't. I more so track my exercise here to keep on track of how often/how long I am working out.
  • CompM
    CompM Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At least 50% of my exercise calories are eaten back. Since I cycle almost every day for gradually lengthening miles I don't want to empty the tank >30 miles from home.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would eat back 50%-75% of my exercise calories while I was losing weight. Most of my exercise calories were from my half marathon training, so I needed to eat those back or my training would suffer. Now that I'm in maintenance and have a fitbit, I tend to eat back almost all of my exercise calories and it has been working for me.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method instead. Too much work to figure out how many calories I burned and actuall guess correctly.

My adice to everyone is to eat depending on their results and not rely on the calculation after the first month...
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back whatever will keep my net calories above 1200. On days that I run more than four miles, it's difficult, but I'm training for a half marathon, so I need that fuel.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    100% of them. If I don't my workouts suffer.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Always! I am exercising to get in shape and to be able to eat a decent amount while dieting. I am trying to lose a specific amount of weight each week. If I quit eating back my exercise calories then I would lose too much weight.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have 1500 daily calories which is enough for me to feel full. I exercise everyday but don't eat those calories back, I have been using MFP for 5 weeks and have lost 10 lbs so I am happy I am being healthy but will watch my losses to make sure I shouldn't eat some back