Low mood

I suffer with depression but recently it's been OK (I take meds) but yesterday was a really low day. I was just so down. I walked round shops aimlessly trying to motivate myself. Then I went to tesco and bought myself a lovely healthy dinner. Drove to the gym - just sat in car park & couldn't get out the car. Went home, ate a big pack of onion rings, a whole pack of biscuits and a bad of pick n mix. Then I wasn't hungry for my nice tea but had it anyway

Replies

• Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    Just feel like I've ruined everything and undone all my hard work over the past few weeks. I go on holiday today & now feel like I can't enjoy my food because of what I did last night...
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I'm feeling similarly :/ I've been trying to make myself go to the gym for a couple of days, but I haven't been out of the house since Tuesday & I overate today.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    It's okay to have a bad day, here and there, especially in the beginning. I'm on my third major attempt at weight loss (I always get derailed by life 20 pounds from my goal weight), and there's always a struggle in the beginning with dietary changes. I'll slip up with a bad choice here and there or a couple of mini-binges, but when I stick with it, eventually the healthy habits win out. Just acknowledge that you made a couple of unhealthy decisions, and remember this moment for next time.
  • skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Keep going. Push yourself. I have been suffering with depression and panic anxiety for over 30 years. Try not to reach for the stars but take baby steps. I've started walking and it is making a huge difference with my depression. I've lost 11 lbs since May,2015. Love yourself and give yourself credit for even the smallest thing you do. There are so many days that I stay in that dungeon of depression. Right now I'm motivated for my grandkids and I keep them in my mind and heart. I want to have some fun with them and in order to do that I have to try try and try more. You can do it. Don't give up.
  • skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Also make yourself little notes or reminders that you are worth it and that you can do it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Do not punish yourself. Start each day as a brand new food day. <3
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    When I do similar things, I remember an Oliver Burkeman article (which I can't find now!) pointing out that studies show the people who succeed at weight loss, staying sober, etc aren't the ones who never fall off the wagon, but who, having fallen off, get back on. You're actually *more* likely to eat healthily long term if you fail sometimes, eat onion rings, then get up the next day and make a healthy breakfast than if you never ate the onion rings at all. So don't punish yourself, just get on.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's difficult to make yourself go to the gym when feeling so down, but try to do it anyway because exercise is a wonderful natural way to elevate your mood.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm so sorry you feel this way. The thing that has helped me is something I read in here 'If food isn't the issue, then food won't solve it'. I used to think that treats could cheer me up- but I remember that that they don't actually do that- just make it worse, and that gives me strength to do something else. It's hard, I know because when you are down you are necessarily thinking rationally. Hugs.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Thinking in black and white is a common symptom of depression/anxiety. Been there. Either I'm perfect-or I suck. But it's wrong. There is an in-between. You had one bad night, EVERYONE has them-it is not a personal failing. Take a breath and enjoy your holiday. Trust yourself to moderate and get back on track when you come back. One bad decision does not define you, even though it feels like it does.
  • Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks for the very kind replied everybody x were on holiday now... Massively overage today, but also walked 12miles so I'm telling myself that if I can have fun, eat and be active then to go home either the same or 1 pound over is an achievement. Thanks everybody xxx
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    It's difficult to make yourself go to the gym when feeling so down, but try to do it anyway because exercise is a wonderful natural way to elevate your mood.

Cosigned.

202727_1236951666475_full.jpg

• tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Just feel like I've ruined everything and undone all my hard work over the past few weeks. I go on holiday today & now feel like I can't enjoy my food because of what I did last night...

Today is a new day. You didn't undo everything you worked hard for. This very moment you have the ability to get back on track and eat healthy.

Enjoy your healthy food options and your holiday. Do something nice for yourself that makes you feel good and use that energy to take care of your diet and exercise.

No need to worry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    It's one day. Life happens, log it and move on.
  • dwarfinheels
    dwarfinheels Posts: 5 Member
    Hey hun, I'll be happy to talk over this but I also have kik if you'd prefer that?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Today is a new day. This moment, this breath.....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I have bipolar II and a bunch of other mental illness diagnoses/issues. It ruled me and my body for two years and every single day is a struggle still. However, I have got a grip on my emotional eating and at this point feel like exercising is a habit, so have hope that you can get there too.

Don't be too hard on yourself, a "bad" day, a bad week, a bad month, it's all okay because tomorrow is a new day to try again and that's all that matters, trying. Make MFP your daily habit too, it's helped me enormously. I can binge but I have to log every single morsel so now, I stop before I grossly overeat, it's just become habit. Last week I didn't stick to my workout schedule but I still got three days in of some activity rather than the five/six I'd usually do and I kept telling myself that's okay.

If you can't physically make yourself go into the gym, then see if you can do something at home, even 10 minutes of a Youtube video or some marching on the spot, anything to mitigate the lies your brain wants you to believe about you sabotaging yourself.

Exercising is helping me enormously keep on top of the very worst of my depression, something I pretty much live with continuously, with the odd hypomanic episode and rare treat of a few days euthymia. But since exercising I haven't gotten to the very worst points I regularly hit prior.

Lastly, enjoy your holiday as much as you can, try not to worry about the scales too much and be as kind as you possibly can to yourself at all times. Self care is the most important thing someone with a long term chronic illness can do, physical or mental. It's a learning curve, a curve that isn't always a nice neat regular pattern.