Low BP issues

Options
13»

Replies

• RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Drinking Gatorade yesterday most certainly helped - even before having something salty for dinner. Thanks for the great advice all!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Drinking Gatorade yesterday most certainly helped - even before having something salty for dinner. Thanks for the great advice all!

What does Gatorade taste like OP, is it a nice taste or a bit yukky? I might try that myself, they appear to be selling it in the UK now.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Not the OP, but I hate Gatorade; all flavours of it. I can drink the G2 though, which is the low calorie version of Gatorade. Preferably the grape or fruit punch flavours. It's a bit like watered down Kool-Aid (is there a UK equivalent to Kool-Aid?). If you've ever had fake grape juice or fake fruit punch, it's like that. Not the nicest tasting thing in the world, but if I know I'm going to be sweating a lot, I'll go for G2 to keep my BP in check - it used to be my go-to during horse shows in the summer.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Not the OP, but I hate Gatorade; all flavours of it. I can drink the G2 though, which is the low calorie version of Gatorade. Preferably the grape or fruit punch flavours. It's a bit like watered down Kool-Aid (is there a UK equivalent to Kool-Aid?). If you've ever had fake grape juice or fake fruit punch, it's like that. Not the nicest tasting thing in the world, but if I know I'm going to be sweating a lot, I'll go for G2 to keep my BP in check - it used to be my go-to during horse shows in the summer.

I think I might look into some of these sports drinks. Do they all replace electrolytes do you know?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I think I might look into some of these sports drinks. Do they all replace electrolytes do you know?

I'm not sure about all of them replacing electrolytes, but I do know that Gatorade, G2, and PowerAde all do.

As for the taste, I prefer the orange flavor most - it's got a similar taste to Kool-Aid, just not as sweet.
  • __Di__
    Options

I'm not sure about all of them replacing electrolytes, but I do know that Gatorade, G2, and PowerAde all do.

As for the taste, I prefer the orange flavor most - it's got a similar taste to Kool-Aid, just not as sweet.

Excellent, much appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and have been diagnosed with dysautonomia, in fact. One doctor who treats dysautonomia said that if you can taste your food you haven't added enough salt! I just add enough to make my food taste good and try to drink enough fluids. And be careful not to get up too quickly, as others have said. I injured my knees by fainting right on them on a hardwood floor.
  • vasumodi
    vasumodi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have just run into the same problem. I usually run a 90/60 - and it's never caused dizziness or fainting spells. My heart rate has also tended to hover in the 80s and 90s. A year ago, the BP started showing 70/55 - again no fainting or dizziness but yes I did feel fatigue and depression (and didn't know until I just looked at up that this can happen if your brain isn't getting enough blood supply).

The two doctors I visited last year didn't seem unduly alarmed and just told me to eat more salt. Which I actually didn't do, because it made me feel nauseous.

Cut to last week - shortly after joining MFP and starting to exercise (which I hardly ever did before, at least not enough to sweat) - my BP reading showed 70/48 and that kind of scared me. Went to the best cardio in town and he just told me to eat more salt. Here's how our exchange went:

"Doctor, does this explain the depression of the past year?" He answers (without looking at me) "No". '"Ok, then, is this why I've been feeling lethargic and unable to concentrate?" He answers, scribbling, "No". "Right, so doctor, why is this happening, why the drop?". He answers "It's not a huge drop so it doesn't matter, just eat salt".

I am quite frustrated. I ate a buch of salt yesterday and all it did was make me feel pukey and even after all that salt, I am not back to 90/60. And I drink plenty of water - 4 litres a day, since I also sweat a lot while exercising.

I am inclined to maybe just let it be - maybe if they're not worried about it, it's actually not a big deal. But I cannot follow the salt prescription as it makes me nauseous. And it makes me retain water and thus gain weight!!!

I wish I knew what the right thing to do is but at least in my experience with doctors here (in India) - if you've always run low, the drop does not alarm them. I do want more medical opinions though, as well as non-salt solutions.

• MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Kadje wrote: »
    I have the same issue and have been diagnosed with dysautonomia, in fact. One doctor who treats dysautonomia said that if you can taste your food you haven't added enough salt! I just add enough to make my food taste good and try to drink enough fluids. And be careful not to get up too quickly, as others have said. I injured my knees by fainting right on them on a hardwood floor.

I've also been diagnosed with dysautonomia, and I've learned that staying well hydrated, increasing my sodium intake and getting regular exercise are key to managing it. I've had seizures and gone into shock on three separate occasions from my bp dropping so low, and many more days when I can't even get out of bed--at one point I couldn't stand up long enough to shower or dry my hair without passing out, so I work hard to keep it controlled. It can be tricky to find the right levels of sodium & fluid intake, but it's definitely do-able.

I know others have said this, but if your symptoms persist, you really should see a doctor.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have constant low blood pressure. 120/70 is actually high for me. My norm is around 100/60. And the thing is, I crave salt. Like, how some people crave chocolate? That's how I crave salt. I end up adding salt to food and my sodium levels are ALWAYS over for the day. I talked to my doctor about and she didn't seem concerned since my blood pressure is so low. So I would recommend talking to your doctor. Your body may just need the extra sodium, and if that's the case, don't worry about it. But I would mention it to your doctor next time you see them, just in case.