Tilapia.....

Options
I have never had tilapia before and bought some today.

How does everyone cook there's and what kind of spices does everyone use?? :happy:

Replies

• phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    you can boil it and so a sweet and sour sauce, or bake it and just put lemon juice on it. I usually eat it with rice
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I usually put lemon pepper and cayenne pepper because I love spicy :) I have mine with rice & veggies.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I just had it for the first time, too. Way too fishy for me (which is odd because a lot of people told me it was a "mild" fish).

But, it tasted mostly okay. Just cooked it in a pan w/some garlic, cayenne, chili powder, a dash of salt and lime juice. Served it with a cashew ginger carrot soup and peas + carrots.

You could also bake it en papillote. Make a packet out of aluminum foil, give it a quick non-stick spray and throw in the fish, a few citrus slices, whatever veggies you like and spices. Fold up the edges to seal. Bake it at 350º for 15 minutes. Easy as pie. Er...fish.

:wink:
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I usually pat dry with a paper towel, brush on tiny amount of olive oil, and put some lemon pepper seasoning and some basil or dill and then add a little lemon juice to it. I let it sit in the fridge individually wrapped in aluminum foil for an hour or so, then take it out and add a little more lemon juice and broil it in the oven, wrapped in the foil, for about 10-15 minutes.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It's very similar to Orange Roughy, Cod, or Halibut. You can cook it like you would any fish. One of my favorite dishes is fish piccata (fish broiled with a lemon, butter, caper sauce). You can grill it, broil it, or fry it.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A quick way is to lightly season with garlic powder and lemmon pepper, heat a skillet, spray the skillet with Pam, and cook about 3 minutes on each side till it flakes. I also sometimes vary my spices...sometimes Old Bay seasoning, sometimes McCormick garlic and onion medley. And if you don't have Pam, you can use a teaspoon of olive oil.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    funny, I am defrosting tilapia right now for dinner!!! I cook mine very simply. Skillet, olive oil (just a drizzle) and lemon pepper spice. Takes about 4 minutes per side.

But, there are SO many other spices........salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, italian spices, curry and garham masala, fresh lemon or lime, etc.

have fun with it, tilapia is so mild you could add just about any seasoning you liked!

:wink:
  • ovoss1955
    ovoss1955 Posts: 4
    Options
    I eat Tilapia several times a week. It is very easy & low calorie. Spray a baking pan with butter flavored cooking spray. Season both sides of the Tilapia with your favorite seasoning. I use cajun or southwest because I like it spicy. You can use Mrs. Dash garlic & herb or just salt & pepper. Spray fish with butter cooking spray. Bake 10 min. at 350 turn over & bake an additional 10 min. Enjoy!
  • rigbly
    rigbly Posts: 6
    Options
    ultra moderation with this fish. High Omega 6 fatty acids, so if you are on a heart conscious diet then this is a once a month or less fish.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    OMG... my hubby and I LOVE this recipe!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pan-Seared-Lemon-Tilapia-with-Parmesan-Pasta/Detail.aspx

SO good!! I hadn't had tilapia before we tried this either. It's so yummy, we had it 2 nights in a row! lol
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    Picked up the supplies to try this recipe this evening. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Greek-Tilapia
    Will probably have steamed asparagus and brown & wild rice with it.
  • Kmchandl
    Kmchandl Posts: 19
    Options
    that recipe sounds super yummy. I will have to for sure try it. Thanks :smile:
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I love tilapia! I usually bake it in a little foil tent with some lemon pepper seasoning or cajun seasoning, then serve it with rice and veggies.
  • In2luvnme
    In2luvnme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for fish tacos. You can have them protein style (no shell) or with a low carb shell, or have it with black beans, which are high in protein.

To pan sautee the Tilapia, you will need Pam cooking spray. Season the fish to your liking. Spray the pan and let it get hot. Add the fish. Once it cooks on the first side turn it over, you will only turn it once and it will have a crispy coating. Cook the other side and remove. Let it rest for 5 minutes are so.

For fish tacos, protein style, you need romaine, cabbage salad mix, salsa (add about a tablespoon of lite sour cream to two tablespoons of salsa). Use the whole washed romaine leaf, add the fish, top with the cabbage, some monterey jack if you love cheese, just a sprinkle and top with salsa mixture. If you prefer them with the shell, you can crisp the shell in the oven. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam, and one side of the shell, Let it bake for about 3 minutes (depending on how crisp you like it) turn it over and fold. Once they are to your liking, fill with the fish, cabbage and salsa mixture. Enjoy. Low calories, low carb....ENJOY!

Post back and let me know if it worked for you. Yum...I think I will have that tonight.:tongue: