Soda Water?

Options
this is probably the stupidest question but a discussion with my OH last night has made me doubt myself a little.

I drink 3L of soda water (carbonated water) a day. I rarely have still tap water. It's just that I prefer the taste and fizz of the soda water.

There is no health difference between soda water and normal water, right? It's just got added CO2.

Please resolve our sheer stubbornness about both being right

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's just a watery as tap water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You win.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Yep, just water with bubbles! I love plain water but I usually replace a beer with sparkling water a few times a week (mainly while eating dinner).
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You win.

HAHAHA i love winning!!

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yup. No difference except the CO2, assuming you just mean plain carbonated water like you can make yourself with a SodaStream or seltzer bottle. If you are referring to the mixer "club soda" (sometime called soda water), it has added sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, and potassium sulfate.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No difference.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I drink a seltzer water at least once a day. It's the same, no worries.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Yup. No difference except the CO2, assuming you just mean plain carbonated water like you can make yourself with a SodaStream or seltzer bottle. If you are referring to the mixer "club soda" (sometime called soda water), it has added sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, and potassium sulfate.

^^ This. Unless you have blood pressure issues or have any other reason to watch your sodium intake, there's no difference.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Even if it's flavored soda water like Sparkling Ice or Aquafina Sparkling Water, you're still drinking water.
  • njmorizio
    njmorizio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not a Stupid Question! You've probably heard at some point that the phosphoric acid in sodas (i.e.fizzy drinks) has been possibly linked to bone density loss leading to osteoporosis; when combined with caffeine as it is in many sodas, diet or non-diet, calcium uptake to the bones can be further impeded. Check the label - no phosphoric acid? No caffeine? Drink away!
  • mbhungry
    mbhungry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Even if it's flavored soda water like Sparkling Ice or Aquafina Sparkling Water, you're still drinking water.

What about the flavors being labeled "Natural flavors" in the ingredients - what makes the flavor?

• earlnabby
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mbhungry wrote: »

What about the flavors being labeled "Natural flavors" in the ingredients - what makes the flavor?

Usually the distilled essence of the fruit. Kind of like essential oils but distilled from the fruit instead of pressed from it. I have a SodaStream and I use fruit extracts in mine when I want to flavor it, since I have never seen retail essences except the 3-pack Sodastream sells. My favorites are black currant and cranberry.

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    CO2 is causing global warmi . . . oops, I mean climate change. Stop opening those bottles!!! :grumble:
  • earlnabby
    Options
    CO2 is causing global warmi . . . oops, I mean climate change. Stop opening those bottles!!! :grumble:

Opening the bottles isn't as much of a problem as burping up the carbonation. Keep it down!

• spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I literally drink 2-3 cans of Dasani Sparkling every day because I don't like plain water (it's just carbonated water with natural lemon flavoring - no calories or artificial sweeteners). I count it as my water :).
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep, just water with bubbles! I love plain water but I usually replace a beer with sparkling water a few times a week (mainly while eating dinner).

Beer is a downfall of mine as well. I did buy some sparkling water (Love Black Cherry) because for me, a lot of the appeal of beer is the bubbles!
  • kweisman1
    kweisman1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the only thing that could be a potential downfall of seltzer is that it can bloat you. I just think of this for me when I am going to be wearing something form fitting or a bathing suit. Other than that, it's fine.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mbhungry wrote: »
    So that's actually a really interesting question. There's a fascinating piece on this topic from Eric Schlosser's _Fast_Food_Nation_ available here. The tl;dr version is that natural flavors come from natural sources, though not necessarily the one that tastes like them, and undergo anywhere from mild to extreme chemical reactions to alter them to a desired taste. Artificial ones start life as chemicals on the shelf. Based on what happens from start to finish, I don't really see any significant difference between the two, but three years of college chemistry will alter your take on it.

Oh, and I strongly suggest, if you like raspberry-flavored items, do not, under any circumstances, EVER google where they get it from.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kweisman1 wrote: »
    Okay, so the only thing that could be a potential downfall of seltzer is that it can bloat you. I just think of this for me when I am going to be wearing something form fitting or a bathing suit. Other than that, it's fine.

Burping takes care of that, as long as you aren't worried about global warming (see above).