Celebrities are a different "size" than the rest of us

Options
It drives me crazy when celebrities lose weight and reveal that they are now a size 4 or 6, when they clearly are an 8 or 10 (if only because of spanx). Do you think that:
A. the people that dress them lie about the sizes they're putting them in, B. they buy ritzy clothes that are deliberately sized smaller than they really are, or C. they're lying.
Does this bother anyone but me?

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Honestly, clothing sizes in general make me crazy. When I was in my 20's I wore a size 11. At the start of my weight loss journey I wore a 9. Seriously? How could I be a 9 when I CLEARLY weigh 40 pounds more than I did at a size 11???? WTH? I think it's some kind of weird plot to keep people from getting thin.:laugh:
  • just_dance
    just_dance Posts: 15
    Options
    Eh i think it might be clothing brand... personally I have noticed a huge difference in dress sizes depending on the brand I am trying on... For instance I have fit into sizes 00-8 depending on the company... Because of this I NEVER buy clothes online lol!
  • syrietopaz
    syrietopaz Posts: 1
    Options
    Sizes inflate just like gas prices! Marilyn Monroe would nowadays be a size 14 and let's face it... there's at least a little something inside of every woman who wants to be Marilyn Monroe ;)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Kirsty Alley was on TV the other day, and claims to wear a 6???????
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Are you speaking of a certain DWTS celebrity? I know I read somewhere that Kirstie Ally said she is now a size 6 after losing weight with her dancing lessons. While I can tell she has lost a fair amout, I doubt that she is a size 6. I think she is beautiful and dont know why she feels the need to state her supposed size for the media.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that they're lying, or at least offering the size of some weirdly tagged item in their closet. That being said, I agree with guppygirl, as I am currently wearing jeans in sizes 8,6 and 4, (which all fit the pretty much the same, with the 6s being the snuggest) and I am wearing skirts in a Small, many mediums, and one XL. Who the hell knows what sizes actually mean. And I don't read celebrity weight loss articles anymore.
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brands are so so different. I noticed high quality and costlier (not always the same thing) have more generous sizing. For instance all my suits are 16-18 and fit great. But when I go to the store that's in my price range these days (think Citi Trends, Cato's) I wear a 20-22. I never forget one time I got a pair of sz 16 jeans from old navy and a pair of size 24 jeans from Cato's on the same day. 0_0
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i just shrug it off to hollywoods is full of lies. not a one has not at least had some work done (nose most popular!)

but i don't care much about ppl i dont know and never see/met. so its not a huge deal.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    everything at old navy is sized WAY bigger than it needs to be. It just makes it a hassle to shop there when there size large is actually XXXL.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I dont pay attention to the thin models or actresses. Their world is so pumped up with this or that. Most are not in touch with the real world. I Love models Like Tess Munster http://plus-model-mag.com/2011/02/tess-munster-modeling-against-all-odds/ ( an article about her) She is very sweet person I got to get to know a lil over FB. She helps you think of your body in more positive light. To get over the stigma that if you are big you are not beautiful.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Kirsty is not a 6, nor is Kim K a size zero [does she OWN a mirror?]

That being said, yeah it's annoying. But I no longer have a "size" as a goal for that very reason. When I got gfore beinto a size 14 jeans I was estatic [having come from, at my largest, a 22-24.] But my work skirts are mainly 18s that fit right? Go figure.

I wish I'd measured myself begining this journey. Live and learn.

"real" women and the "real" world .. we don't have to lie about our size, or anything else for that matter. We know where we want to be and we'll get there in time. Until then, love yourself as you are - you are the only YOU!

:)
  • kzskstir
    kzskstir Posts: 13
    Options
    I remember when Rosie ODonnell said she hit her highest weight at like 230 or something like that. If she was 230, I am Twiggy! I think they get paid to make us feel like dirt! The sizing thing is crazy too!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sizes inflate just like gas prices! Marilyn Monroe would nowadays be a size 14 and let's face it... there's at least a little something inside of every woman who wants to be Marilyn Monroe ;)

Love this!! So true!
  • seasiren9
    seasiren9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe would be a today's size 6, 8 or 10. Her dresses were cut to be worn with a serious girdle. It's not true she would be a today's 14. Here are her measurements. Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D
    That's a serious hourglass figure. Her clothes were specially made for her.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    seasiren9 wrote: »
    Marilyn Monroe would be a today's size 6, 8 or 10. Her dresses were cut to be worn with a serious girdle. It's not true she would be a today's 14. Here are her measurements. Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D
    That's a serious hourglass figure. Her clothes were specially made for her.

Very true. And I just looked up recent pictures of Kirstie. Size 6 is a stretch, but most likely an 8.

I can't really think of that many celebrities that are an 8 or 10. Most seem quite thin to me. But I also don't really follow pop culture too well.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    They give Christina Hendricks **** for her "size". For the Emmy Awards a few years ago, she had trouble finding a designer who was willing to fit her with a dress. She had been turned away by I can't remembered how many. They didn't carry samples in her size, or didn't want to design for someone as "big" as her. To me, that women is absolute perfection, and those designers were out of their mind. I'm glad she hasn't caved to the fat shaming she's endured.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    They give Christina Hendricks **** for her "size". For the Emmy Awards a few years ago, she had trouble finding a designer who was willing to fit her with a dress. She had been turned away by I can't remembered how many. They didn't carry samples in her size, or didn't want to design for someone as "big" as her. To me, that women is absolute perfection, and those designers were out of their mind. I'm glad she hasn't caved to the fat shaming she's endured.

Is that true? I find that hard to believe. She's beautiful. As a designer, I'd definitely want her in my dress.
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Is that true? I find that hard to believe. She's beautiful. As a designer, I'd definitely want her in my dress.

Absolutely. When I get home, I'll post the article. I remember reading it and was flabbergasted.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    syrietopaz wrote: »

Marilyn Monroe would likely be around a 2-6 in today's sizes.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/04/marilyn-monroe-was-not-even-close-to-a-size-12-16/

• Miss_1999
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Here's the article. It's so sad. She is absolutely gorgeous!

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1309288/Christina-Hendricks-BEG-Emmys-gown-shes-curvy.html