I have an issue of eating peanut butter at night when I'm bored?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It sounds like a habit and a comfort food. I'd replace the habit with something else. How about taking up crochet or knitting? Every time you think peanut butter pick up the needles. Keeps the hands busy and introduces a new habit.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/how-to-arm-knitting

Peanut butter and yarn are mutually incompatible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Also I'd get some special foods just for you and ask for your own shelf.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I can sympathize. Eating peanut butter from the jar is how I gained weight training for marathons. A couple of things have helped. I have put it out of the kitchen and in our basement refrigerator. I won't run to the basement and eat from the jar!! I have also made the commitment that if I'm going to eat it I will weigh it on the food scale. That's a game changer because I can see how many calories I'm getting for such little volume. I thought I was eating 2 servings at a time before when it was likely 5 or 6!! I had some last night and know without a doubt I ate 100 calories worth.

I don't care for pb2. By the time I weigh out enough to taste it in a smoothie it's still a chunk of calories and I'd rather have the real thing.

Another thing that helped was figuring out WHY I loved peanut butter SO much. I had an epiphany the other day. When I was a little girl my mom (who is type 1 diabetic) would have a snack every night before I went to bed of graham crackers with pb. It was a special little girl time when I shared that snack with my mom. And now I always find myself eating peanut butter and honey at night. (Can't have graham crackers now because I have celiac). I realized recently that OH I'm trying to capture that feeling again with my
    Mom. Maybe now I should just call or send a text instead when I want peanut butter :)
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2015
    If your parents won't stop buying it, you might need to ask them to store it somewhere that you can't access it but they can.

Also, make sure you are eating plenty of fat and calories during the day and leaving room for a snack at night. It is okay to eat in evening, or even eat peanut butter. Nothing wrong with that, unless you end up eating more calories than you burn. So plan out your food so you are properly fed during the day but have room for a snack at night. People who binge eat sometimes restrict themselves too much afterward to make up for it, which can trigger a new eating binge when they are starved. Then restrict again, binge again, It is a vicious cycle. So if you are skipping meals and going into evening feeling starved and allowing no calories to eat, you need to fix that to break the cycle.

Finally, you say you are eating while bored. Why are you bored? Is there some better way you can spend your time in the evening, like maybe going for a walk? Calling a friend? Getting a hobby? Figure out how to plan your schedule so you are too busy or interested in what you are doing to eat. Find a way to deal with this boredom that doesn't involving eating high calorie foods.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    If you don't buy it you wont eat it!!!

Recently I developed a PB craving too which is odd because I never liked it much in the past. It doesn't matter if it's regular, whipped, or PB2... I will overeat it at night. So PB is banned from my house. At GNC they have sample pack of Quest PB shakes. This is currently my answer to PB cravings. It's so delicious I can't even believe it.

• y81895
    y81895 Posts: 5 Member
    Xandistra wrote: »
    okay so every night I'll find myself eating 500kcals worth of peanut butter even though I'm not hungry, and it'll sometimes lead to a full out binge. How can I help break this habit? I've gained 15lbs over the past 3months because of it :(

• DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    You could also ask your parents to skip the jar and get the to go packs. That way you CAN have one little container each night but make it fit in your day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It sounds like a habit and a comfort food. I'd replace the habit with something else. How about taking up crochet or knitting? Every time you think peanut butter pick up the needles. Keeps the hands busy and introduces a new habit.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/how-to-arm-knitting

Peanut butter and yarn are mutually incompatible.

I credit crocheting 6 afghans last year with my losing my first 85 lb. before Christmas. Like you said, yarn is incompatible with peanut butter (or many other foods).

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Stop it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating during the day? Do you eat PB during the daytime at all or is it something you're trying to swear yourself off of simply because it's calorie dense? Lot of really judgey, unhelpful comments in this thread for some reason. :|

No one was judging or being unhelpful.
  • DanniB423
    I am all for personal responsibility and choices. But if every weight loss obstacle was as simple as "stop it" or "just don't" MFP wouldn't exist and we would all be healthy. That is not helpful. Get real.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I am all for personal responsibility and choices. But if every weight loss obstacle was as simple as "stop it" or "just don't" MFP wouldn't exist and we would all be healthy. That is not helpful. Get real.
    Barring a medical condition, it can be that simple.

64078106.png
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    If you can't consume it in moderation don't keep it in the house. You can't eat it if it's not there. Reintroduce it to your diet once you feel able to control your portions.
    There's one problem wit that, I live with my parents and they're both obese and carry tons of junk food and refuse to buy healthy foods. If I was on my own I'd be good to go, but unfortunately that has to wait another year :(

Sorry I didn't see that your parents are the ones who buy it. I still suggest the Quest peanut butter protein shake. It may be enough to stop your PB craving. As for your parents maybe they can store it somewhere that is out of your site. Or maybe you can just tell them how it's hurting you and maybe they will agree to not buy it for now.

• DanniB423
    edited July 2015

64078106.png

We are talking about shoveling peanut butter from a jar. Of course medical necessities take it to another level of urgency but none were mentioned.
  • DeguelloTex

64078106.png

We are talking shoveling peanut butter from a jar. Of course medical necessities take it to another level of urgency but none were mentioned.
    Right, no medical conditions were mentioned. So, she just needs to stop shoveling the peanut butter from a jar. I mean, really, what is another feasible solution in a scenario in which she can't control what food is available, other than "stop. eating. the. peanut. butter."?

• DanniB423

64078106.png

We are talking shoveling peanut butter from a jar. Of course medical necessities take it to another level of urgency but none were mentioned.
    Right, no medical conditions were mentioned. So, she just needs to stop shoveling the peanut butter from a jar. I mean, really, what is another feasible solution in a scenario in which she can't control what food is available, other than "stop. eating. the. peanut. butter."?
    Asking her parents to remove it from the house was mentioned. Finding a replacement such a PB2 was mentioned. Having to go packs available to promote moderation vs a whole jar was mentioned. She could "just stop" but apparently that isn't easy for her or working because she made a post about it for help. I just didn't see that as helpful. That is my opinion and we don't have to see it the same.
  • DeguelloTex

64078106.png

Asking her parents to remove it from the house was mentioned. Finding a replacement such a PB2 was mentioned. Having to go packs available to promote moderation vs a whole jar was mentioned. She could "just stop" but apparently that isn't easy for her or working because she made a post about it for help. I just didn't see that as helpful. That is my opinion and we don't have to see it the same.
    All of which involve stopping shoveling the peanut butter from a jar.

No one claims "just stopping" is inherently easy. Lots of things that need to be done aren't easy.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Do you have a food scale? Weigh out a tablespoon (or 2 if you must - usually 2 tablespoons is a full serving is roughly 190-200 [give or take] depending on the brand) and allow yourself to only have that much. Do not eat from the jar.

Apples and peanut butter are my favorite, apple cinnamon rice cakes and peanut butter (almond butter actually) is close second - I could and pretty much do eat these foods daily, but I portion out the peanut butter before I eat it. I used to slather gobs and gobs of peanut butter, but I learned to exercise self control/willpower - one of the most important "muscles" to develop.
  • DanniB423

64078106.png

All of which involve stopping shoveling the peanut butter from a jar.

No one claims "just stopping" is inherently easy. Lots of things that need to be done aren't easy.

I saw those as helpful suggestions for alternatives vs a blatant and dry "don't/stop". That's all.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    If you can't consume it in moderation don't keep it in the house. You can't eat it if it's not there. Reintroduce it to your diet once you feel able to control your portions.
    There's one problem wit that, I live with my parents and they're both obese and carry tons of junk food and refuse to buy healthy foods. If I was on my own I'd be good to go, but unfortunately that has to wait another year :(

Can you ask your parents to keep the peanut butter/snacks in a less convenient place? Like in their bedroom closet or junk drawer? If it is more difficult to get to, or you have to unlock it or ask for it, it may not be so easy to even start eating it.