Miracle Noodles

Options
I have a few questions about the awesome miracle noodles that I've been hearing about....
1. If they don't have to be cooked, why are people complaining that they are too rubbery when cooked?
2. Do they taste good with spaghetti sauce? Or only in Asian dishes?
3. Can they only be purchased online or does anyone know of any Asian markets in San Diego that carry them?
4. Are they worth the money? I've been looking for some online, and they are pretty pricey.
5. Anyone use these in their diet and seen significant results? Whether it be weight loss, more energy, being more regular, etc.

Replies

• prystans
    prystans Posts: 1
    Options
    No don't buy them they are gross!
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Okay a lot of people are going to say they are gross. and yes if you don't strain them for at least 5 minutes under cold water they will be gross. They have a weird fishy smell. But once you do that they have no taste or smell what-so-ever.
    1. I throw mine in with my food for a few minutes to warm them up for a few minutes. I'm not sure why people are cooking them for a long time- maybe because they are trying to treat them like regular noodles? The texture is kinda bean sprout like.. I think thats the closest.
    2. This week I have added them into my taco salad (like a rice substitute mixed in with the ground beef), added them to a spinach/chicken/bullion cube soup, and to meat sauce. So yes you can add them to anything you'd like. I'm doing HCG so they are an awesome bonus and very filling. I actually haven't tried them in an Asian dish yet. haha I use the Yam Miracle noodles
    3. I buy mine at local Asian markets.... in Kansas I'm sure you have them locally.
    4. I buy mine for 1.15 a bag.
    5. They make you feel very full. which really helps with the 500 cal diet i'm on. I've eaten them everyday- which has helped my cravings, and i've lost 6 pounds this week.

Don't get discouraged by all of the negative comments on them. I say buy a bag or two and let me know if you need a recipe - i promise you won't be disappointed. I think it's totally worth the difference in texture.
  • drlynned
    drlynned Posts: 34
    Options
    Okay a lot of people are going to say they are gross. and yes if you don't strain them for at least 5 minutes under cold water they will be gross. They have a weird fishy smell. But once you do that they have no taste or smell what-so-ever.
    1. I throw mine in with my food for a few minutes to warm them up for a few minutes. I'm not sure why people are cooking them for a long time- maybe because they are trying to treat them like regular noodles? The texture is kinda bean sprout like.. I think thats the closest.
    2. This week I have added them into my taco salad (like a rice substitute mixed in with the ground beef), added them to a spinach/chicken/bullion cube soup, and to meat sauce. So yes you can add them to anything you'd like. I'm doing HCG so they are an awesome bonus and very filling. I actually haven't tried them in an Asian dish yet. haha I use the Yam Miracle noodles
    3. I buy mine at local Asian markets.... in Kansas I'm sure you have them locally.
    4. I buy mine for 1.15 a bag.
    5. They make you feel very full. which really helps with the 500 cal diet i'm on. I've eaten them everyday- which has helped my cravings, and i've lost 6 pounds this week.

Don't get discouraged by all of the negative comments on them. I say buy a bag or two and let me know if you need a recipe - i promise you won't be disappointed. I think it's totally worth the difference in texture.

Thanks a bunch! :happy: I'm definitely going to try them. What's this HCG diet that you're on which restricts you to 500 calories? I think if I ate that little, I'd get hunger headaches.
  • niki108
    niki108 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet but have been reading about it lately. I have read that people do put them in asian dishes. Maybe like yakisoba? with the veggies, chicken and siracha chili sauce! Sounds yummy to me. I think you can get them in the refrigerated section of Trader Joes. Call them and ask if they keep it in stock.
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I think Miracle noodles are great. I too am on the HCG diet and they are very filling. I mix them with my chili. I buy them locally from a health food store for 2.49 and I think they are worth it.

The HCG is a very low calorie diet. If you want to read about it go to www.hcgloss.com.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    They are OKAY. You can buy them in regular supermarkets, or at places like Whole Foods. They're called Shiritaki Tofu noodles. Personally, if I want pasta, I'd rather have pasta. They are kind of rubbery and nothing like pasta or yakisoba. I've eaten them with tomato sauce as well as in stir fries and they are a weak substitue imo. But they ARE worth trying. Just make sure you rinse and strain them really well. You need to cook them a long time to get the water and the weird smell out.
  • RocheleLynn
    Options
    drlynned- I actually thought that would happen to me. I have some blood sugar issues with headaches but actually since I am eating so much protein on this diet- it has been the complete opposite. The diet is not for everyone. but it's very strict but you lose about a pound a day.

niki- what i have found is that when you first start eating them you need to find a way to thicken them up... because they do not taste the same you need to find a way to kind of hide them. haha like in meat sauce. :) But I've been making them in this broth and it's ammazing. let me know if you need any recipes for them!
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a lot of recipes for them on her website.
  • guppygirl322
    Options
    The HCG diet also involves hormone injections. Some people get REALLY sick from it.
  • RocheleLynn
    Options
    I actually do not do injections. I do little pills that absorb under your tongue.

I'm under doctors orders and that is not how it works at all. But thank you for your two cents.
  • drlynned
    drlynned Posts: 34
    Options
    I really love that so many people are willing to share their experiences/insight/knowledge on anything. I appreciate it. I think I'll skip the HCG stuff, and give the noodles a shot. I run half marathons, and I need to train, so limiting myself to such a few calories cannot be a good thing for me. I'm heading to hungry girl to check out some recipe ideas.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I like the noodles. I rinse really, really well. Then I boil for 5 mins, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Then they are good to go.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    If you have any larger asian markets, they will carry some version of them. Look for shirataki noodles in the fridge section (in mine, it's near the fish cakes and fresh tofu.) There's the 'house' brand tofu ones, then the other various brands that are yam(?). the only one I haven't cared for is the dark one that has some seaweed in it. Even the long rinse didn't get rid of the fishy smell.

I find that these are helping a good deal on feeling satisfied without actually having the real noodles. Yes, I prefer the flavor/texture of my saimin noodles. But I like how this is helping my dinners to be a little lighter. I can get a veggie and light meat stirfry, add these in for bulk and the feel of noodles and I'm actually pretty darn happy.

I tend to like curry / peanut sauces, so most of what I put with it has a strong flavor. I thought the tofu shirataki, made with broccoli slaw and a peanut (PB2) curry sauce was quite good when eaten later cold.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about the hcg diet and I have to say it sounds like another one of those crash diets to me. The noodles do sound interesting though.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    If you have any larger asian markets, they will carry some version of them. Look for shirataki noodles in the fridge section (in mine, it's near the fish cakes and fresh tofu.) There's the 'house' brand tofu ones, then the other various brands that are yam(?).

I buy them at the regular grocery store in the same section where the tofu is.

Did you boil yours after you rinsed? I don't see how there can be any fishy smell after. Mine were fine!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I do boil them after I rinse them (definitely seems to help with making them neutral), but the black ones just seemed to retain the odor. Only tried them once, though, so maybe it was my handling of them or the package itself. Since I like the others, no need to find out.

I prefer the tofu ones a bit more. They seem to absorb flavor better. But both are proving to be helpful in expanding my stir fry choices, and filling me up, without expanding my carbs.

I like to think of them as my version of 'filling up with salad.' I've always hated salad (and salad dressing.) I'd MUCH rather have these with a bunch of stir fried veggies than a salad.
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I think Miracle noodles are great. I too am on the HCG diet and they are very filling. I mix them with my chili. I buy them locally from a health food store for 2.49 and I think they are worth it.

The HCG is a very low calorie diet. If you want to read about it go to www.hcgloss.com.

I LOVE these noodles ...and I too have been adding it to my HCG Chili !!!
  • niki108
    niki108 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE some recipes. TIA
  • Nomoreplus_sizes
    Nomoreplus_sizes Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love how shirataki noodles are a "new thing" well it's just a discovery thing. I just found out about Earth balance(vegan buttery spread) this year and I've lived in the SF Bay area for almost 2 years. I use to hate it my grandma made me eat shirataki noodles but now I'm starting to appreciate them. Here's what I've noticed IMHO

- Tofu shirataki tastes better with tomato/ light alfredo sauche than the traditional yam noodles
    - The traditional noodles taste better with Asian style dishes
    - Check grocery outlet, the grocery section of odd jobs/big lots, asian markets, whole foods, fresh market, etc. before looking online. I even found some at the dollar tree once, go figure.

2 of my personal favourite recipes are tofu shirataki with 1 cup tinned italian style tomatoes. I let them simmer in a saute pan for a few minutes so they can absorb the flavour. When I serve it I top it with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.

Another of my favourites involves marinating firm tofu in a zipbag with shoyu, ginger, garlic. I use traditional shirataki for that. I saute some diced onions, then add the marinated tofu and the shirataki. Stir fry it and serve.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    I wish these were more readily available in the UK - i'd like to try them. But the best place to get them from is amazon and with shipping it's like £5 for a pack! (just over $8!)