Struggling

Options
I have really been struggling lately. I had a complete breakdown last week. I wont go into specific details but it was really bad. (I am bipolar and manic depressive.) I have been on the up swing, however I have been binge eating since Saturday and I cannot seem to get it i under control. The harder I try to get it back in check the more I spiral out of control. I feel horrible.. physically. I feel sick and sluggish and tired. I just don't know what to do. Any help would be amazing!!!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to say except that it has to suck.

Do you eat less when you're manic?
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I also don't sleep a lot. Its all just frustrating.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar, and I can't/won't take meds because of my kidney transplant. I get some bad mood swings, too. One of the things that has helped is really focusing on my health because I have to live in my body for the rest of my life. I'm sick of being unhappy. It's really a lot of work to be unhappy. It's much easier to feed myself nourishing foods, get a little exercise, and smile at strangers than it is to dwell on how much I hate people while eating ice cream alone in my room until my tummy hurts too much to sleep.

I started with logging accurately with a food scale. Once I was in that habit, I started focusing on my breathing whenever I realized my thoughts were racing. Next, 10 squats a day. More if I felt like it, but always the 10 no matter what. It was kind of amazing what I was able to accomplish once I started being more mindful. I still have nasty mood swings, but maybe fewer? I haven't binged since April, when I started the meditation. But I have definitely indulged! It's a lot more fun now, too!

I am writing this so matter of factly, but I've been working hard. I see my therapist once a week, I fill out a self esteem journal every night, and I have an alarm set to meditate on a mantra. I can't worry about not getting it together because that's time that could be spent doing something useful or happy, like practicing yoga or playing video games!

Good luck to you1 Add me if you think I'd be a helpful friend.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some medications increase food cravings. Talk to your psych about that. Do whatever you can to get more sleep.
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to medication by any means, however I know binging. DO I EVER! So I'll tell you my ancient secret to curb your binging. Ready? Binge on healthy alternatives. Sounds boring right? Get rid of the chips and chocolate and all that crap and fill your fridge with better alternatives. If you're craving chocolate have a handful of almonds, if a handful of almonds don't do it, have a yogurt cup, if that doesn't do it, have some slices of deli meat, if that doesn't do it, have some cottage cheese, if that doesn't do it, have some root chips, etc. You'll still be binging but you're binging on nutritionally denser foods. You won't feel so terrible after. Which is key. Mood can drive you further into emotional eating. I don't condone binge eating but I know it's so hard to avoid.. SO if you know you aren't able to control yourself in that moment try reaching for better options. Another thing I do is make a tea. I have a few different flavors or green and black teas and I drink them either plan or with a little honey. it tends to soothe the mind and take it off of food.

I don't pretend to understand what you're going through but these tactics have worked for me. Please feel free to add me as a friend! I'm full of ancient Chinese secrets ;)
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vune - Thank you. I am starting to realize I need to baby step this.
    Karliebethell - your advice is wonderful. thank you!!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude. I'm so glad things are going well for you! I can't begin to walk in your shoes, but I know eating better and working out has changed my life for the better! My anxiety is so much more controlled. Good luck to you!
  • apmat
    apmat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 lbs in 18 months. I fail all the time. I track everything, even the bad days, forgive myself and try again. I succeed maybe 60% of the days and that works in the long run.