Water diet: does it work?

i saw a couple of online articles on the water diet. For those that aren't familiar, it's a regimen in which you drink cold water at certain times posted in the photo. I was wondering if anyone has tried it and thoughts?q0lrkngwe9l6.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    What is it supposed to do? It won't do anything for burning fat which is your goal right?
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Yea I wouldn't call that a water diet, rather strategic consumption of water to keep you hydrated and to maximize "fullness" before meals so you eat less.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    They expect you to eat breakfast over an hour after you wake up? I would literally start chewing on my arm.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    This isn't a water diet. It's drinking water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yea I wouldn't call that a water diet, rather strategic consumption of water to keep you hydrated and to maximize "fullness" before meals so you eat less.

This^

When you say "cold" water....I hope the claim isn't that your body has to heat it up, thus burning more calories (or some nonsense like that).
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    I'm sure that it'd help keep your belly full, which would probably help with your appetite, but you'd be hella bloated with water weight.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    1/3-2/3 of a gallon per day? That's not enough to even hydrate me on a non-workout day.

There is nothing magical about drinking cold water. Drinking water at certain times will not make your body do anything that it wouldn't do already, apart from pee at different times.
  • xbananachipsx
    xbananachipsx Posts: 7 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

When you say "cold" water....I hope the claim isn't that your body has to heat it up, thus burning more calories (or some nonsense like that).

I forgot to mention yeah that's the reasoning behind it. You're right that it's not so much a diet but a schedule.. I tried it yesterday. I drank like 9 cups overall. It's only day one for me on this regimen so was just wondering if others have tried. I don't feel bloated though since I go to the bathroom a good number of times throughout the day
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It'll keep you hydrated, nothing more.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Work? Work in what way?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Anything that puts you in a Calorie Deficit works, right?

Does this put you in a Calorie Deficit?

There's your answer.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    So that would be a no. This doesn't work. Don't fall for these fads. It's good to drink more water but this will not help you in fat loss.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    What is it supposed to do? It won't do anything for burning fat which is your goal right?

It can help with the feeling full during meals though which can create a calorie deficit.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    People seem to have some desire to make things harder than they are. Just drink water when you're thirsty. No timing, measuring or pee-checking is required.

This is one of the dumber diets I've seen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    edited July 2015
    It can help with water retention reduction (most people that increase their water automatically start urinating more), but for lots of people going to the bathroom often may be annoying. And getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom can disrupt quality rest (which is when you burn the most body fat).
    You want to lose fat? Burn more calories than you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • xbananachipsx
    Okay. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    I'm sure that it'd help keep your belly full, which would probably help with your appetite, but you'd be hella bloated with water weight.

Drinking water does not cause water weight gain.

Retained water is caused by too much sodium, and is a temporary condition. Indeed, the way to alleviate water weight gain is to actually drink lots of water. ;)
  • xbananachipsx
    ffbrown25 wrote: »

Drinking water does not cause water weight gain.

Retained water is caused by too much sodium, and is a temporary condition. Indeed, the way to alleviate water weight gain is to actually drink lots of water. ;)

You're right with the sodium and water retention

I appreciate the insightful feedbacks. You know who you are.

I'll just stick to my guns and eat cleaner and work out.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    And to the OP - this is uneccesary. As long as you stay hydrated, when you drink it and at what temperature is just a bunch of bro science nonsense. :)