Psst.....I have some advice here!! :)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I havent written anything in awhile..but wanted to share this..on this particular weekend. :wink:

To those in the states, this is a big eating, party, carefree weekend and nothing ruins that carefree feeling like knowing you are trying to lose weight, knowing the temptations that are out there....and not wanting to miss out!

I am here to tell you...that you don't have to miss out. It took me a LONG time to understand this. I yo-yo'ed through my 20's because I would deprive myself to get the weight off and then want something so bad, I ate too much and gained it all back. I finally realized it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You CAN enjoy fun events, foods and drinks. The key is not doing it every day. And not letting one day of fun become the "norm" again. YOU are in control of this. YOU control food. It does NOT control you!

I am going to a BBQ today. I want to enjoy myself. So, I ate light yesterday...worked out well this week and will eat lighter tomorrow. To me it's a fair trade and a small price to pay to go enjoy myself without counting every single calorie today. It's all about being sensible, NOT deprivation.

Of course some might not be confident about that yet. You might not feel you can enjoy yourself without it becoming the norm and derailing all your hard work. I am not trying to tell you to do something you aren't ready for. All I can say, is when I started my weight-loss journey in September of 2007...it was right before the holidays. I kept on track the majority of the time....but when Thanksgiving, Christmas, Superbowl Sunday came around....I enjoyed. No, I didn't go NUTS and gorge....but ate...enjoyed..picked...grazed....for that ONE day. And the next day, I got back on track. And every time I did....my confidence that I could do this FOREVER...increased. My loss might have not been great that week...or I might have maintained. But, I didn't feel deprived, enjoyed myself and when it came to getting back on track....I was at peace doing so because I knew...I COULD enjoy myself.....and it wouldn't derail me.

Anyway, just wanted to share that today.. I lost the 135 lbs in 16 months. Maintained it through pregnancy and after...and I have stayed in my size 6 jeans since.. And want to know a secret? I have weighed maybe 4 times since my second son was born in September, 2009. I go by clothes, how I feel. I give myself leeway. When my clothes start to feel snug...I know I need to cut back a bit...and step it up at the gym. And i've remained consistent! It's truly an amazing thing for me considering I struggled SO much from the time I hit puberty!! I have conquered this!! No, that doesn't mean I assume I've "got it"...but I am confident in the knowledge I have gained by doing this the right way.....and if you listen to your body...you will know what you need to do. Doing that is so much more accurate than a scale. :)

GOOD LUCK!! And here is the link to a couple of my posts...for those newbies that might need it!! :happy: :flowerforyou:

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH!!!

The thread about how I did it!
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81336-the-keys-to-my-success?hl=the+keys+to+my+success

The thread with my before and after pics!! :)
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/129824-tamtastic-before-and-after?hl=tamtastic+before+and+after&page=1#posts-1762206

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! :drinker:

Replies

• jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    excellent advice ..... and definitely the way I'm doing this too!!

You're a real inspiration - not only that you lost all that weight, but also (if not more so) for maintaining!!! Well done xx
  • nicole414
    nicole414 Posts: 2
    Options
    that was awesome to read!!! :) BUMP
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well said :flowerforyou:
  • thatgirlLeah
    thatgirlLeah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is SO good! Thanks for your thoughtful, sensible post. Love this!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    THanks so much for posting this this morning! I weighed myself this morning and didn't budge from last week's weigh in and I'm carrying a lot of water weight...ugh. Dreading what is coming later today with the neighbor's BBQ....great food, drink and company....I didn't want to feel badly with indulging, but having not lost anything this week was what was making me dread. After having read your post I'm not going to feel badly about enjoying the good times tonight and I'll jump back on the wagon tomorrow. I am also planning on getting out in the garden for a few hours today to expell some calories. Have a great weekend and thanks a million!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting Tammy!!! I am always so afraid that I will be fat again. It is still hard for me to stay balanced.

D
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    you are just great!!!! Thankyou so much for posting this! Its a real inspiration to me nad has made me grit my teeth and want to knuckle down again :)

Brilliant job on your own weight loss and philosophy :D

Wishing you every success in the future! you deserve it!

xx
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Good to see you again tammy! Have a great weekend.
  • rusty61
    rusty61 Posts: 23
    Options
    That's great advice, thanks! And I checked out your before and after pics and you look terrific!
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! This is so inspiring! I have a long way to go, probably more than you did judging from the pix. But it is so great to see a real person who has lost a substantial amout of weight. I have trouble "seeing" myself at a lower weight; seeing your changes helps me contemplate what my changes might look like. :happy:

It is so generous of you, and others in this Topic, to share like this. I'm inspired :-)

Gini
  • TamTastic
    Options
    So happy you guys find this helpful!! I just want to encourage you to continue. Don't let anything derail you!! :smile:
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    WOW Awesome results girl! You look amazing!
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    Thank you so much for this : )
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OOOh I love this post. I am starting to realize I can do this too. After 8 weeks of losing, I went on a "maintenance" week for my vacation. I was actually over my calories by 200 or so each day. But I enjoyed myself and gave myself a break because I knew it was just for a week. Yesterday I went back to 1200 calories per day. And I feel so in control! Thanks for the post, and congratulations on your loss!!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    OOOh I love this post. I am starting to realize I can do this too. After 8 weeks of losing, I went on a "maintenance" week for my vacation. I was actually over my calories by 200 or so each day. But I enjoyed myself and gave myself a break because I knew it was just for a week. Yesterday I went back to 1200 calories per day. And I feel so in control! Thanks for the post, and congratulations on your loss!!
    Isn't that the best?? To know you're in control? Took me 35 years to figure that out!! Wow!!

I hope people here can learn that at an earlier age!

I indulged on Sunday...and my stomach protested! lol And I've felt like crap since and have been eating light and exercising like crazy cause I've felt so BLAHH and bloated from the sodicum. Makes you question indulging again! :laugh:
  • Zurelily
    Zurelily Posts: 21
    Options
    Well said! And congrats on your weightloss, you look amazing! :)
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    This is great! Exactly what it's all about--a lifestyle change. I too have deprived myself, and then gorged, and in turn, GAINED. I just try to be sensible, and better yet, not beat myself up everytime I screw up! I have much better results with this attutide :-) Thanks for taking the time to post this!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!