Does cycling build your stomach muscles?

Options
I've been making progress with building muscle in my thighs but my chest seems almost the same really. Should I just continue with squatting, cycling etc or throw in something else?

Replies

• sarahmcs65
    sarahmcs65 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but what is ur routine for toning ur thighs, as from ur post it sounds like it's working :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your abs (stomach) or your pecs and other upper body (chest)?

Squats will definitely work your ab muscles. Cycling *can* engage your core (if you are using a road bike, for example--not really if you're sitting on a recumbent at the gym or on the road), but certainly not in the same way.

If you want visible ab definition, it's less about building muscle and more about losing fat.

If you want to build chest muscles and upper body strength, you will need to do additional upper body work, yes.
  • sarahmcs65
    sarahmcs65 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you also said in ur post that your building muscle in ur thighs, I just wondered what you had done and are doing to get the muscle,
    But yes I see to get rid of fat first to then see the muscle, I didn't quite understand that but get it now, the more you guys chat about it :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sarahmcs65 wrote: »
    Thanks, you also said in ur post that your building muscle in ur thighs, I just wondered what you had done and are doing to get the muscle,
    But yes I see to get rid of fat first to then see the muscle, I didn't quite understand that but get it now, the more you guys chat about it :)

if you want to add muscle you need a caloric surplus + a progressive lifting program
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    I've been making progress with building muscle in my thighs but my chest seems almost the same really. Should I just continue with squatting, cycling etc or throw in something else?

By cycling, do you mean riding a bicycle?

If so ... riding a bicycle isn't the best choice for building your core or upper body. It might help a little bit, but you're probably not going to get a six pack from it.

That said, I found riding as stoker on our tandem worked by abs more than any other bicycle because of the balance factor.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Bicycling does nothing for your upper body. Racers have to do other training to strengthen their core and upper body. If the only thing you do is bicycle, you will have muscular legs and be a toothpick from the waist up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    to build your upper body, you have to work your upper body...squats are great...cycling is awesome...but some bench press would be good...some bent over rows perhaps...some core isolation if you so desire.

for your lifting I would strongly suggest following and actual program to garner the best results.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    From my cycling experience (amateur on a road bike), it's VERY beneficial to do core exercises to help your cycling but the cycling itself will do nothing for your core. For the best overall appearance and performance, incorporate a strength program into your training that covers the entire body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Training a muscle directly will do a much better job. Start with some pushups and core work (planks, etc.).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cycling isn't exactly known as a great chest or ab exercise...
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

Unless Sir Bradley Wiggins is your ideal body type, you may want to supplement your cycling with a bit of strength training :smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

Unless Sir Bradley Wiggins is your ideal body type, you may want to supplement your cycling with a bit of strength training :smile:

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

British-Olympic-Athletes--026.jpg

:wink:
    And yes - I know he's a) a sprint cycler and b) that body comes from the gym
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

• SBRRepeat
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Oh, Chris Hoy, what a beautiful, beautiful man. Track cyclists do tend to be less... let's say "lean"... Than the pro tour guys. Case in point:
    nssx9x74k1jx.jpg
    Robert Forstemann.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

Ha, love that we simultaneously posted pics of him!
  • msf74
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

lulz - I may have to post some pics of Vicky Pendleton to redress the balance ;)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

But I can't imagine he looks like that from cycling alone. He must do a great upper body training program as well.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

But I can't imagine he looks like that from cycling alone. He must do a great upper body training program as well.

I'm sure he does, most pro athletes do spend a lot of time in the weight room. But that's also the standard body type for track cyclists, versus roadies who have to be much more strict about their power to weight ratio to get over mountains and what not. The velodrome is more forgiving towards weight as long as it comes with increasing power. You can see the pure sprinters in Le Tour tend to barely get through the mountain stages, they just aren't built for it.
  • msf74
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

Correct.

Just like Wiggo's physique is purposefully selected for his goals and not a facet of cycling alone the same is true of the track sprinters.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    ou3tkjjbda5i.jpg

How about Sir Chris Hoy?

Or Robert Förstemann!

YHueIhk.jpg

lulz - I may have to post some pics of Vicky Pendleton to redress the balance ;)

By all means! She's both a bad*** and drop dead gorgeous. Color me jealous.