How to deal with Roast Dinner

Options
I live with my parents. My dad often makes roast dinners.
They are delicious. Yummy thick slices of meat. Lots of roast potatos soaked in fat. Delicious dripping gravy.
I suspect one normal plate of it has well over a thousand calories.
I find it really hard to resist.
I've been thinking of asking for less roast potatos (3 instead of... I confess... 5-6).

I have 2 issues.
One how to join in with the family, not reject the meal (and I do think I'd feel extremely deprived if I opted out).
Two how to measure the calories when its all prepared without me (my dad is a control freak in the kitchen).

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do they roast other vegetables with the potatoes? Whole carrots, onions, peppers? If not, might he add those? Decreasing the potatoes is a great idea. Are they small ones or regular size? At regular size, 3 would still be a lot for one sitting I think. Also, could you add to the meal without offending him? Say a large green salad with a light dressing? Large salad, other less starchy vegetables, fewer potato calories, and smaller portions of meat might work?

Is this a special Sunday meal? Or all the time? Would be great if he'd let you contribute to the meal.. so you can enjoy his cooking and keep true to yourself.

Good luck! :)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You can have it, you just need to be careful with your portion sizes. That means getting a scale, and weighing it. Take cuts that are free of fat, and maybe see about them cooking you some potatoes seperately and not in the fat. Then you need to account for every bit of your meal. If its more calories that you have, then you need to go exercise to burn more calories, so you have more calories to eat. You can modifiy your foods while enjoying what you like. But, there is no simple way of eating it, unless you make it a "free" meal once in a while.
    I feel your pain because my ultimate favorite thing is Roast beef, with homemade gravy and red potatoes cooked with the beef. But you just have to log whatever goes in your mouth. It gets easier...
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am really not sure my dad would let me take the food and weigh the portions or choose the cuts or anything.
    It's kind of yeah a once a week sort of thing, but he also boils up the bones for soup for the rest of the week.

I can ask for less though. I know usually I do have laaarge portions.

We have peas and sweetcorn with it sometimes too.
  • Smittyinthesun
    Options
    First before a big meal I suggest maybe 10-15 minutes before that you drink 8 -12 oz of water, it will fill you up with no calories.

2nd a Sunday roast dinner is fine limit yourself to 1-2 slices of meat, go for the salad, limit the rolls to 1 and skip the butter.

Maybe ask Mom to make you a baked potato or to roast the potatoes not in the beef drippings gravy, you'll save some calories.

After dinner take a walk around the block a few times to burn off some calories.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    As other's have suggested, portion control seems key here. Can you find a way to get 50% of your plate to be a non-starchy vegetable (broccoli, green beans, asparagus, etc.)? Then divide the rest of your plate between your potatoes and your meat (heavier on the meat if carbs are an issue for you).

If this is Sunday dinner only, you can work this into your weekly calories, by planning in your exercise and aiming to come in lower in calories on other days. But you can't let the weekly meal catch you buy surprise. You have to plan for it and work it into your plan.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to your dad to put your portion in a separate dish ,with a little olive oil instead of swimming in fat..I always do that as my hubby likes his veggies done with the meat, and I prefer the healthier option.
  • allybtucker
    allybtucker Posts: 91
    Options
    Have you sat down with your parents and talked to them about how you're trying to better yourself, and asked them to help? Maybe they wouldn't be offended if you bowed out of the rich meals if they understood why you were doing it. When I'm faced with a big family meal, I have a healthy "pre-meal" so that I'm not hungry when it's time for the big meal, and I eat just enough to be polite.
  • just_dance
    just_dance Posts: 15
    Options
    Yeah I definitely think you should talk to your parents about how you are trying to better yourself, especially to help them understand not to be offended when you eat a much smaller portion, and politely decline seconds… But I would still eat the dinner with them… Be careful, it is VERY nice of your dad to make you a family dinner. Try not to have him make too many changes to HIS meal planning and focus more on your portion control. Years ago my mom used to make us family dinners. Then I went vegetarian (for a while), my dad went on the Atkins, and my brothers refused to eat anything green. Eventually she gave up. She has not made a family dinner in years. Picky eaters/ backseat chef’s are really, really annoying for somebody kind enough to cook for their friends and family! It would be terrible for you to lose out on such a nice unique family bonding experience that is becoming more, and more rare these days. The glass of water before dinner is an excellent idea, along with a decent sized low fat starter salad. During the meal keep your portions small and focus more on conversation rather than eating. If you are talking, you are not chewing (at least I would hope). And most importantly THANK your father for a delicious meal! Let him know that your really appreciate his efforts.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Have you sat down with your parents and talked to them about how you're trying to better yourself, and asked them to help? Maybe they wouldn't be offended if you bowed out of the rich meals if they understood why you were doing it.

Nicely said! You may be surprised that your dad maybe be willing to make you food on the side or change the ingredients a bit, or even limit the roast dinners to once a month! Maybe your parents do want to be healthier too!