Question about diet pop

Options
How bad is diet pop for someone trying to lose weight? Before I changed my eating habits I drank regular pop a lot and to be honest I enjoy pop and am struggling not drinking it. I switched to diet but I'm wondering if its still bad to drink. I'm not a huge fan of water although I do make myself drink some. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was the same, started drinking diet drinks until I did some research into the ingredients. I still have a fizzy drink every now and then but now I buy soda water and add a little cordial. It's yummy.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I drank diet pop before I started dieting and diet pop is still bad for you. It's full of sodium and sugar. I know it's hard but by cutting pop altogether it made it easier to lose weight. Yes I do have the occasional pop but I try to cut it altogether.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously addicted to it but I know it's bad for you. I'll give it up eventually.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I've heard it makes you hungrier. Once in a while I treat my self to a diet pepsi. I just can't bear the thought of however many tablespoons of sugar there are in a regular one.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Anything with carbonation should be avoided. Most diet sodas are now calorie and sugar free, but still a little on the high side for the sodium count. If you retain water easily, this may affect your weight loss. I cut soda completely out of my diet and I don't miss it at all. I hated water but I started slowly by adding the Crystal Light To-Go packets to a bottle of water. After a while, I drank straight water and I feel great! If I have a moment of weakness and really want a soda, I will have one. But I'm quickly reminded how much they made my stomach hurt.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    from what i understand, the fake sugars still make your blood sugar levels rise and cause the feeling of craving sugars and carbs. i drink vintage seltzer water. it has bubbles and flavor, but it's just as good for you as water. try adding lime wedges to your water.

you can even freeze fruit in ice cubes and put that in your water for some extra flair!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How bad is diet pop for someone trying to lose weight? Before I changed my eating habits I drank regular pop a lot and to be honest I enjoy pop and am struggling not drinking it. I switched to diet but I'm wondering if its still bad to drink. I'm not a huge fan of water although I do make myself drink some. Any thoughts?

Research shows that diet pop drinkers are more likely to be overweight/obese. The way I see it: the 100-200 calories in a regular can of pop usually outweighs the chemicals put in diet drinks. Only having diet drinks 2 or 3 times a month won't do too much damage. On the other hand, the extra 200 calories from regular pop 2 or 3 times a month won't do too much damage either. Moderation is key & pick your poison: extra calories & sugar, or chemicals.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners are bad news.. just go cold turkey. Plus, you set yourself at risk for interstitial cystitis, and that is a pain that never goes away.
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I personally drink one diet pop a day and I have still lost 30 lbs since Jan :)
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used to drink diet pop ALL the time-very addictive. It wasn't a weight decision, we just preferred the less sweet pop. During years of doing so, we did not diminish in size, we only got larger. I know it wasn't just pop, but I wonder about its contribution. Then, we heard about the side effects of fake sweeteners and decided to not drink diet pop. It is very hard to give up, but after a period of not drinking it, you find the desire for it is very weak or gone all together.

As far as sweeteners, I now use Truvia which a natural sweetener without calories. Hope this helps.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Google in...no soda is good for you, but diet is worse
  • jdmattin
    jdmattin Posts: 9
    Options
    Pre diet and currently I drink diet soda. Coke Zero is my favoirte. I probably have 3-5 cans per week and have lost almost 30 lbs in 3 months, so for me the no calorie sodas have not hurt.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I drink diet soda, not as often as I used to, but I still have 1 or 2 a week. I have lost 36lbs in 2.5 months, so apparently it isn't really having much of an effect (if any). It has sodium in it, but I always stay under 1500mg of sodium a day. I personally don't worry much about the possible effects of artificial sweeteners. I personally don't believe that diet soda causes weight issues, the problem comes from people thinking that they can eat worse because they drink diet soda (e.g. Big Mac, Large Fries and a Diet soda).
  • triciacline921
    triciacline921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow I had no idea about all this. Thank you all for the advice. It will be a major struggle for me but I will be cutting out all pop in my diet.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I did this just recently, so I can tell you what helped me. I started making sweet tea every morning... I would make myself drink 64 ounces of sweet tea a day, then let myself have a soda if I really needed it, at the end of the day. I gradually started making the tea less and less sweet. Now I don't add sugar at all... and I'm making the tea gradually weaker. It has eased the transition considerably.

I was drinking 6 -24 oz bottles at work, and a 24-can case at home... per week. I haven't had a soda for two weeks now.