Secret to Success

Options
ArtsieSarah
ArtsieSarah Posts: 129 Member
What is the secret to your success? How do you stay motivated 24/7? I was doing so good but this past week I'v been eating like 800 cals over my limit. I don't wanna backtrack because I'v only lost 7 pounds. What should I do? Who's got some good tips!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No secrets, just hard work. Stick to tried and true principles of nutrition and fitness. Do you very best every single day. That's it.
  • ArtsieSarah
    Options
    Alright thanks. It's so hard...
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    One specific thing you can try is planning the next days meals ahead of time. It gives you time to think through the menu and set everything up just right. If you have a good day of food planned out, you are likely to stick to it... If you don't have a plan, that's when things can go off course quickly....
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do have a *secret*... but it's based on natural health. I drink aloe vera juice daily. You can google the health benefits. It also helps cut cravings for carbs and sugars along with the vast other benefits for your body. It's awfully bitter tasting so it's better to plug, chug and chase. My secrets are more herb and vitamin based... but again, the principals of hard work and motivation are key. It's really about wanting to maintain optimum health.
  • sweattshop
    sweattshop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All of my successes are simple habits.
    I will ask for a doggy bag at every meal.
    Always leave something on the plate.
    Have a sugar free snack a available for weak moments.
    Eliminate fructose corn syrup from everything.
    Walk.
    Multivitamin.
    Only get on the scale once a week, Friday weigh in.
    Don't do it alone.
  • cpanzeri
    cpanzeri Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sometime it will be a struggle, and it is okay to struggle. What is not okay is giving up! Just always try your best and know you CAN do it even through the struggles!
    One thing I do that makes it easier for me is eat about the same thing everyday. It takes the guess work out of it. Sure there are days where I am over in my calories, but I know the next day what I can eat to get back on track. Good luck to you!! You can do it!!!
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Be patient. It took time for all of us to put on the weight so it'll take time to take it off too.

Track EVERYTHING you eat.
    Water, water, water, water, water
    As someone stated up above, plan your meals ahead of time
    Exercise 5 times a week

This needs to be a lifestyle change, not a quick "diet" fix...It gets tough for everyone but just stay the course, be positive, and your body will change!

God bless
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Be patient. It took time for all of us to put on the weight so it'll take time to take it off too.

Track EVERYTHING you eat.
    Water, water, water, water, water
    As someone stated up above, plan your meals ahead of time
    Exercise 5 times a week

This needs to be a lifestyle change, not a quick "diet" fix...It gets tough for everyone but just stay the course, be positive, and your body will change!

God bless
  • nataliebeth08
    Options
    I think an important secret is to not beat yourself up if you have a "bad" fitness/diet day or even week. If I do that to myself it makes it so much easier to give up completely. My weekends are usually a mess when it comes to sticking to a diet but I am just beginning so I have to give myself a break and know that it takes time for a good habit to develop. Congrats on the current weight loss!
  • Coleman73
    Coleman73 Posts: 42
    Options
    best way to deal with overages, is increase your allowance with exercise. Let me tell you chocolate cream twinkie was well worth the miles I walked to remove it. So stay strong work out even if its in 5 minute intervals it will burn those calories if you tend toi go over. Some days I walk circles around my ambulance until we have a run, then I hop in and go.
  • seatern
    seatern Posts: 15
    Options
    Those are great! I might also add:

-Plan ahead (eating that DQ blizzard is fine but know how many calories it is and fit into your goals with exercise)
    -Don't drink your calories (unless it's a splurge and then see previous point)
    -Log EVERYTHING you eat even if you're way over so you can learn from it
    -If you hiccup don't let it make you give up, if find looking at the success stories on here inspire me to keep going
    -If you're craving something try brushing your teeth... often it goes away (or try Bengal Spice tea... it's delicious with just a tablespoon of milk)
  • ArtsieSarah
    Options
    These are all great ideas! I love the food planning idea. I'm a big tea fan and I do log everything. Just need to stay motivated!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with Seatern and the others. PLANNING is so important. I sometimes log in my whole day to gain an idea of where my calories will be. I then know if I need to omit something OR add something on those rare days I have extra! Having healthy foods on hand.. and sugar free jello.. or sugar free pudding mix and fat free milk.. for those times you "need" it. [No Pudge makes brownie mix..you can mix up one brownie.. with fat free yogurt or unsweetened applesauce.. microwave in a coffee mug for one minute. For me, sometimes just knowing it's "there" is enough. One of those boxes of brownie mix lasts me a long time. But it's there if I can't get past a craving. Low cal/fat free yogurt is another go to..and has protein and calcium.

Keep an extra set of sneakers in your car.. so you're always ready for an impromptu walk at lunchtime. If you go to the gym, do it at the same time each day if you can. You will get used to seeing the same people..and they seeing you..and when you don't show, someone is bound to ask, "Where have you been?" Surround yourself with people who will support and encourage you, but who will also hold you accountable. [I am always saying to my friends, "Be honest.. don't be nice." :)

Planning doesn't mean you can't change the plan mid day or mid week, but at least you'll have an idea of what those changes will look like at the end of the day/week.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    bump... good question
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    1. Lookin at other people's success storries always helps me!
    2. keeping a before picture close by or on your fridge helps
    3.preplanning your next days meals and even preparing them
    4. eat before you go to the grocery store
    5. join a group on MFP that you have to check in with at least weekly to hold you accountable
    6. make your diary open to public so all can see
    7. set weekly and monthly fitness,lbs lost, and nutrition goals for yourself and let everyone know what they are
    8. remember WHY you are doing this!
    9. be sure to check your measurements on occassion to see inches lost

good luck, and stick with it...you will get more "into" it as time goes on :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!