Alternatives for potato chips?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I crave, I crave crunchy-salty. I figure decent substitutes will give you that with perhaps a little less fat. Watch the available substitutes because sometimes they are even worse calorie and fat-wise (i.e. Sun Chips).

When I need crunch and volume, I make up a batch of air popped popcorn. You might also want to try roasted chickpeas. They also come with higher protein and fiber.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    hula hoops do Puffs which I think are about 75 calories per bag. I have one while watching TV in the evening most days.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Not really different but better are the terra sweet potato chips. No calories to be saved or anything just tastier I believe.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Genisoy Soy Crisps
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Second the snap pea crisps from Kexessa.. or go Jerky perhaps?
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds. Crunchy, salty, yum, expecially with a dip!
  • mychanges83
    mychanges83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like ''popchips'' you can find them in walmart
  • mericose
    mericose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Potato chips are my downfall as well and have been trying to find a suitable replacement but all I come up with is more potato chips :o)
  • notwaitin
    notwaitin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Tortillas cut in triangles w/little olive oil, salt...bake until crispy
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The Lays potato chips are really not horrible for you. Even one of those little 1.5oz bags has a lot of chips and won't throw your calories for the day. Plus they only have three ingredients so I feel like they are better than some other more processed things. But that could just be me rationalizing eating them.

Maybe the 100 calorie popcorn bags? That's salty and crunchy.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love baked chickpeas!
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • AmieAP
    AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Always bacon. Put some bacon and cheese on a cracker. Or just eat the bacon. If you don't want the high fat content, steam it before you fry it and the steaming will melt off a lot of fat. Then dry it with paper towel before eating. So delicious, you wont even remember what chips are.
  • JulesVinTX
    JulesVinTX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sensible Portions Veggie Straws
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Terra's Sweet Potato & Beet Chips. I also still eat tortilla chips and potato chips now and then, but I'm careful to portion them out.
  • tdjackson315
    tdjackson315 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a recipe for zucchini chips. Very easy to make and low calorie and tastes great! I also love potato chips but i can honestly say i have not had a single one since I started on fitness pal. Im just not willing to use that many calories at one time. One thing I do eat though which is just like chips - Popcorners Popped corn chips gluten free. Like Popcorn and a Chip in one. I bought a box of 25 with 7 different flavors off of Amazon.com. They are Delish. Have that crunch that we look for in a chip - but way healthier!
  • tdjackson315
    tdjackson315 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. lol. THe Skinny Popcorn is delicious. Found in Sams and in Krogers. I like my popcorn salted and this has just the right amount of salt without overloading it.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    QUEST CHIPS! about 20g of protein, 5g of carbs, 0 fats! they have flavors like sour cream and onion, bbq and ect!
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated apple chips. we make them at home with some cinnamon and sugar.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can slice potatoes thin, spray a baking sheet with olive oil, place in a single layer, and bake at around 400 for about 10 minutes. Spray potatoes with more olive oil, and turn. Bake for another 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy! They are like a cross between chips & roasted potatoes but have minimal calories.