New - Trying to Gain Weight

Options
Hey guys, I'm new here and just introducing myself.

My name is Emily, I'm 18 and I'm actually trying to gain weight, 20 lbs to be exact. I don't have an eating problem, I'm just naturally really skinny, but I realize I need to get my body up to a healthy weight. I eat a lot as it is, but maybe through this site I will learn what exactly I am putting into my body. I'm eventually going to start working out, but right now I want to learn how to eat right. Obviously what I've been doing has not been a success...

Thanks for reading, feel free to add me as a friend! :}

Replies

• chaimtime
    chaimtime Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My friend is in the same boat. He gained weight by drinking a gallon of milk a day. I can't vouch for the healthiness of it. I was afraid he was going to develop a lactose intolerance. He never did but I've heard this method before
  • In2luvnme
    In2luvnme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello my dear ....I wish I could give you the twenty I want to get rid of..:laugh: ...good for you for working on getting healthy in any direction. Welcome and good luck..
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. As far as drinking a gallon of milk - I think I'd vomit haha
  • SpazEMcGee
    SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people drinking Ensure to gain weight. I don't know what it really does.... But I figure a diet with alot of protein will probably help....If you like meat HAVE AT IT! lol
  • Birdlandia
    Birdlandia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My friend is in the same boat. He gained weight by drinking a gallon of milk a day. I can't vouch for the healthiness of it. I was afraid he was going to develop a lactose intolerance. He never did but I've heard this method before

Oh my, a gallon? Milk fills me up too fast, so I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. Though, I'm sure it won't hurt me if I drink an extra glass of milk each day. :}
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    My sister is naturally skinny (5 foot and 84lbs after having 4 kids!) She gained 10lbs by having a slim fast with 2 meals a day...WITH not instead...might help..?
  • belindar1962
    belindar1962 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my daughter has the same problem and has went to doctor on several occasions to gain weight they told her to try and drink ensure with every meal but ultimatly did not work for her . she just is naturally skinny . good luck to you
  • Kkirkland13
    Kkirkland13 Posts: 13
    Options
    yikes! that can cause super bad acne too!
  • Birdlandia
    Options
    My sister is naturally skinny (5 foot and 84lbs after having 4 kids!) She gained 10lbs by having a slim fast with 2 meals a day...WITH not instead...might help..?

Thanks :} I'll try substituting all the water I drink with a couple Ensures/Slim Fasts each day!
  • emim05
    emim05 Posts: 2
    Options
    ensure is the same thing as slim fast, its just more expensive. seriously. read the labels they are identical.
    i don't recommend drinking a gallon of milk. that is something people do now as a game to make themselves throwup.

next i would recommend eating healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds. you could increase your carb intake by eating more brown rice or whole wheat tortillas. Also start tracking everything you eat, no matter what it is, for the next week or two. but track it here and you will get an idea of how many fats, calories, carbs you are eating in a day. Then you can adjust from there.

Exercise wise you could try lifting weights and gaining some femine muscle :)
  • Birdlandia
    Options
    ensure is the same thing as slim fast, its just more expensive. seriously. read the labels they are identical.
    i don't recommend drinking a gallon of milk. that is something people do now as a game to make themselves throwup.

next i would recommend eating healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds. you could increase your carb intake by eating more brown rice or whole wheat tortillas. Also start tracking everything you eat, no matter what it is, for the next week or two. but track it here and you will get an idea of how many fats, calories, carbs you are eating in a day. Then you can adjust from there.

Exercise wise you could try lifting weights and gaining some femine muscle :)

Thanks for the tips :}
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    i heard too much calcium is bad not like drinking 4 glasses of milk or whatever per day but like drinking a whole gallon of milk per day
  • catfuzz
    catfuzz Posts: 2
    Options
    Okay...I have always had the low weight issue...just eat healthy. I drank ensure for a couple years and didn't gain. Now I signed up for this account to track my nutrition and noticed that I do not even eat 1200 calories per day. I eat mainly grains/veggies, not much meat, and I feel full....I don't think I could eat 2000 calories a day!

AND I DO drink LOTS of milk and water (whole milk)....of course, I don't drink all this in one sitting, mind you.