Treadmill vs outdoor run

Options

Replies

• jerryjustice
    jerryjustice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ran quite a bit in high school as well as when I first started college. I prefer a treadmill for two reasons:

1) I find a treadmill is more calculated. I am able to adjust and maintain a comfortable speed which allows me to run for much longer. It also makes it easier for me personally to be able to keep track of my progress and adjust my workouts as I improve. When I run outside I find that I will push myself too much and tire out quickly.

2) I have quite a bit of knee pain when running on grass or pavement. I find that, for whatever reason, a treadmill does not bother my knee nearly as much. Even when I wear my knee brace I still find that I end uncomfortable when I run outside.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    for most people, it's actually physically easier to run on a treadmill...like I can actually go faster and further on a treadmill than outside...but outside is more enjoyable and engaging so maybe it feels easier to you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    kwbatschke wrote: »
    I ran quite a bit in high school as well as when I first started college. I prefer a treadmill for two reasons:

1) I find a treadmill is more calculated. I am able to adjust and maintain a comfortable speed which allows me to run for much longer. It also makes it easier for me personally to be able to keep track of my progress and adjust my workouts as I improve. When I run outside I find that I will push myself too much and tire out quickly.

2) I have quite a bit of knee pain when running on grass or pavement. I find that, for whatever reason, a treadmill does not bother my knee nearly as much. Even when I wear my knee brace I still find that I end uncomfortable when I run outside.

I believe (for #2) it's because the treadmill has less of an impact on joints versus the pavement.
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed both. Indoor is more focused, and outdoor is more distracting from the pain.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's just personal preference. I'm a treadmill runner myself.

Even though my life revolved around running when I was younger, I did indoor & outdoor track, I wouldn't consider myself a runner. I never really liked it, it just happened to be something I was pretty good at.

So if I'm just doing cardio I prefer to crank out my miles on the treadmill. Turn it on, put in my earbuds, turn on my autopilot and zone out. No worries about a route. Or if I push further on the out, I still need to get back. Avoiding potholes, navigating curbs or turning my ankles in the grass. And then when I decide I'm done, I'm done.

I much prefer hiking as a method for enjoying the outdoors.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    It's just personal preference. I'm a treadmill runner myself.

Even though my life revolved around running when I was younger, I did indoor & outdoor track, I wouldn't consider myself a runner. I never really liked it, it just happened to be something I was pretty good at.

So if I'm just doing cardio I prefer to crank out my miles on the treadmill. Turn it on, put in my earbuds, turn on my autopilot and zone out. No worries about a route. Or if I push further on the out, I still need to get back. Avoiding potholes, navigating curbs or turning my ankles in the grass. And then when I decide I'm done, I'm done.

I much prefer hiking as a method for enjoying the outdoors.

Yes! I'm the same way--love outdoor hiking, but much prefer the TM for running. I think it's just a preference thing--do whichever you prefer so long as you're doing something! :smile:
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    adding my voice to the chorus:
    For me, when I run Treadmill (aka, Deadmill) the monotony of the excersis prolongs the experience and hastens the exhaustion. although physically my body knows it's not really tired yet, mentally I zone out (and not in a good way)

I experience the same feeling when I run on straight flat roads...aka the 'am I there yet' feeling.

That stated, the treadmill does come in handy when i over exert (less pressure on the knees) and when mother nature (aka rain) tries to slow my stride.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me I find it goes much more quickly on the treadmill. But maybe it is because the treadmill is a novelty for me, so I am always excited to use it. Nerdy, I know. I live in a tiny town without a gym and don't own a treadmill, so my only option is outdoors. And with it humid as hell right now, I would love a treadmill run in an air conditioned space! Like other posters I find that I can tune out with a set pace and get it done and over with as opposed to constantly changing pace (which I am bad about). A 5k outdoors feels like torture to me and completing it in under 30 minutes seems impossible, but when I use the treadmill, it is totally doable.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference and I don't think one is per se better than the other. I think sometimes the treadmill gets a bad stigma but I get a solid workout with either so it really depends on my mood and the weather that day.

Personally, I hate running when it's overly hot, cold, rainy, snowy, or 15 other conditions so I am happy to default to the treadmill when the weather isn't desirable. But if you strongly prefer outdoors then even inclement weather might still be worth avoiding the treadmill.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find the treadmill harder because it forces me to keep pace. When I run outside I slow down as I get tired so I can keep going longer, but on the treadmill I stay at the same pace so it's a harder run. I enjoy doing a mix, some treadmill, some outdoor. My bum knee definitely likes the treadmill more.

I think the muscles used are a little different also. The treadmill - because it's moving - helps you in your stride a bit. But outside it's all you, so I think you get a big more ham/glute outside. At least that's how it feels to me.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill because I can push the intensity and the incline, performing multiple intervals that keep me engaged. I run outside once a week for a slow steady state run, to change it up a bit. However, when I run outside I can never get my heart rate up the way I can on the treadmill.
  • cchill68
    cchill68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I don't use a treadmill as we own an elliptical machine. But I feel the same way is a tad boring even with some good music blasting. My only remedy to mitigate this is to put on a TV show I'm really into, I tend to binge watch my favorite shows like this to compensate.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Running outside with an app like Map My Run is more challenging and interesting for me than the treadmill. I can manage my pace with the app and set goals to get faster/run longer. Plus, I can't control the hills when I'm running outside, which is probably for the best. :)

ETA:
    Pie319 wrote: »
    I think the muscles used are a little different also. The treadmill - because it's moving - helps you in your stride a bit. But outside it's all you, so I think you get a big more ham/glute outside. At least that's how it feels to me.

Yep, I've experienced the same. I definitely get more muscle burn when I run outside.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill but I think it's because I can zone out and not worry about getting run over or hit by anything. I do go outside but I need a buddy cause if I zone out I have my back being watched and them saying hey where'd you go. :)
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I can't run from Zombies on a treadmill. At least in my mind I can't. I absolutely hate running so down loading Zombies, Run really helped get me moving. I'm sure anyone watching me on the streets would think 'What the heck is wrong with that fool, stay away from drugs kids', because when I hear the words 'Zombies approaching!', I get to flailing my arms like a chicken with its head cut off. I don’t care if folks laugh while driving but imagining seeing that in a gym, oh heck no!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ditch the treadmill and get outside I'm so much better outside I use the dreadmill as a last resort
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I believe (for #2) it's because the treadmill has less of an impact on joints versus the pavement.

That's more a function of running form than surface. A dreadmill can encourage a shorter stride, rather than over striding.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of both. On gym days I use the treadmill, other days I run outside. I generally find that I can run further and with a lot less effort on the treadmill than outside, at about the same pace. But I enjoy running outside more, even if I get tired faster and have to walk for a bit, because it's prettier and more challenging. I also realized that I run better if I don't have any distractions from music, tv at the gym, if I just look straight ahead and keep to my thoughts. However, I have to say that the place I do my best running is at the treadmill while on a cruise. There is something about looking out at the water that makes me run longer and harder than normal. I've been on two cruises, and this has been the case both times!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Oh another +1 for the treadmill because, this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10212265/poop
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are as evil as Clemson fans.