any one potty training/trained an 18 MO?

Options
Has anyone ever had any success with potty training an 18month old BOY?! Care to share any tips? My son hates diapers, but LOVES to run naked (or in "big boy" undies) and pee on everything. He thinks its HILARIOUS!
My oldest (girl) was potty trained before she was two (Yes, I understand boys can be a bit harder to potty train) and it was SO EASY! She practically trained herself! But she HATED the feeling of being wet in her undies. (My son, however- couldn't care less)

I'm not going to argue and defend my choices or beliefs (Yes, I have actually had to do this) as far as parenting my children. So any "Why not just wait" or "It's too early" replies will be looked over.

Any tips/tricks from anyone who had PT'd "early" is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How about cheerios in the toilet for some target practice? Or something bigger if that is too small? Or keep a small plastic potty in several rooms so if he is in a room (kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc) it's right there and he can go, rather than having to stop and run to the bathroom. I applaud you for going for it, and I wish you luck.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How about cheerios in the toilet for some target practice? Or something bigger if that is too small? Or keep a small plastic potty in several rooms so if he is in a room (kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc) it's right there and he can go, rather than having to stop and run to the bathroom. I applaud you for going for it, and I wish you luck.

That didn't work for my boy. He would try to go in and get em. LOL! So I used a leaf. I also showed him how a man does it. Eventually, he just wanted to imitate dad. Good luck!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tricks for you other than persistence. My son didn't care if he wet his undies and he peed all over the carpet in his room. I would, however, reward him with stickers on a sticker chart in the bathroom every time he used the potty like a "big boy."
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do not have any children of my own, but I was a preschool teacher/daycare worker for six years. I potty trained kids all the time. Each child is on his or her own schedule. I had some kids were didn't need my assistance and then others who refused to even get near the toilet. The pooping is always the hardest for the boys because we want them to stand up and pee. Maybe you can start him out sitting down..backwards even [facing the back of the toilet] and give him a book to read. He will eventually pick up the habit. Be sure to praise him for sitting and trying.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No pointers, sorry. My son wasn't bothered by the wet or poopie - wet diapers/pull ups didn't matter, did faze him at all. Wet big boy underwear then he just took them off.

Good luck to you.
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i have 3 boys and am about to potty train number3. i didnt have any problem with the other two, but i know he will be a mess! they seemed to like the sound the pee made when it hit the water, so maybe be sure he can stand up. and the target practice is a great idea i have heard worked really well. and special big boy pants or undies may help motivate too. good luck!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look past what I have to say. If he's not ready he's not ready... geez
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do not have any children of my own, but I was a preschool teacher/daycare worker for six years. I potty trained kids all the time. Each child is on his or her own schedule. I had some kids were didn't need my assistance and then others who refused to even get near the toilet. The pooping is always the hardest for the boys because we want them to stand up and pee. Maybe you can start him out sitting down..backwards even [facing the back of the toilet] and give him a book to read. He will eventually pick up the habit. Be sure to praise him for sitting and trying.

That is what my sister did.... my nephew was potty trained before he was 2. He hated having a dirty/wet diaper since he was a baby though. But even though it's a little bit of hassle, my sister/or nephew took his pants and undies off and sat him backward on the toilet.
    Like many others have said each child is at their own pace and will only do it when they are ready, but try things to "make it fun" or rewarding.
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options

That didn't work for my boy. He would try to go in and get em. LOL! So I used a leaf. I also showed him how a man does it. Eventually, he just wanted to imitate dad. Good luck!

I've read that its best to start out teaching them to pee sitting down. (Easier then teaching to pee standing up, then poo sitting down. also less mess from a little boy with not so great aim!)
  • emim05
    emim05 Posts: 2
    Options
    haha. my sister did the same thing with the cheerios. She said "sink it" he loved target practice.
    My daughter is just shy of 17 months and hates diapers. She hasn't figured how to get them off yet but I'm introducing her to her big girl potty so when she is ready to learn she know what to do on it lol
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We just started putting our son on the potty around 18 months and if he went we made a big deal about. We also didn't even let him try standing to pee until he was 4. It took a solid year, but he was potty trained including no diaper at night by 2 1/2 years old. No tricks, no rewards.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    We rewarded our son with a couple M&M's every time he went in the potty chair.
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    As a mom to 12 kids, now fully potty trained I would say just wait it out until he has the ability to comprehend his actions. IE, peeing on anything and everything. I could see how that would be a pain. Out of my 12 I only have 3 boys and all my boys were not big on being trained. Mostly near the age of 3. They too could care less about being wet or dry. If he doesn't mind being yet then let him be wet and wait a bit longer. But the peeing on everything obviously is something you are not thrilled with. So it is THAT that actually seems to be the issue here. If he doesn't mind being wet with a diaper then actually potty training him will probably be difficult. The problem I think you will face is in getting him to understand that his choice of toileting isn't ideal and it is here that I wish you the best of luck!! 18 month olds have minds of their own and winning them over is a job. Sorry I'm not much help.

Good luck,
    Tricia
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    LOL...I tried putting my 17 month old on the potty a few days ago just to see what would happen...We sat there for about 10 minutes with nothing...I take him off...He peed on the floor! My daughter was 2, and it was so simple...I never thought about the Put a Potty in every room theory...I may consider that one...My only suggestion would be the reward system and consistency..GOOD LUCK!
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    Feel free to look past what I have to say. If he's not ready he's not ready... geez

MMMMMkay
    :ohwell:
  • JessesGirl05
    Options
    LOL...I tried putting my 17 month old on the potty a few days ago just to see what would happen...We sat there for about 10 minutes with nothing...I take him off...He peed on the floor! My daughter was 2, and it was so simple...I never thought about the Put a Potty in every room theory...I may consider that one...My only suggestion would be the reward system and consistency..GOOD LUCK!
    i never thought about putting a potty in every room either. with my oldest, like i said it was so easy! i think for 2-3 days i just reminded her to go every so often. after that she just got it on her own, even at night! It took about 2 weeks to have her accident free (nights included). Wouldn't it be great if every kid was that easy!!!? LOL
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently potty training anyone, but I have done it, and I also potty trained babies rather than waiting until they formed an opinion about it! 18 months old is perfect, in my book.

What I did was spend a few days concentrating on it, mostly in the kitchen. I'd put him in undies and watch, and as soon as he starts to potty, excitedly (but don't scare him lol) point it out! Hey look - you are going potty!!!! and if he's able to stop (not usually, the first few times or even the whole first day), rush him to the bathroom and show him where to put it. If he can't finish, no big deal, just go back to the kitchen. If he can't stop.....no big deal, just stay in the kitchen, lol. Don't drag a mess! It won't be too long and he will be telling you "potty!" as he is going. Congratulate him and continue taking him to the toilet and showing him where to put his potty, reminding him big boys (or daddies, whatever) always put their potty in the toilet. Never scold for missing - he's going to miss a lot for a bit. Soon he will be telling you right *before* he starts to pee, which is the key. Tell him "hold it!" and take him to the bathroom. I never had one take more than 3 days to really catch on and begin to consistently let me know and hold it as long as they could.

Since he already evidently has some control, it should be pretty easy, except for that deal where he thinks he can go anywhere. Just keep him with you. It really isn't that big of a deal to not let him be without adult supervision, since he is so young. Just catch him in the act or preferably as he is getting ready to pee and stop him, tell him to hold it, remind him where BIG boys put it and get him there. Never laugh with him if he accomplishes, but act sad and say no, then take him to the toilet to put it there - even if it is too late.

I had one who didn't care about being wet, but cared about being outside. I finally hit on reminding that the pants had to stay dry. If the potty was needed, we would go potty and we WOULD COME BACK OUTSIDE. But if the pants got wet, we couldn't play outside anymore because he would need to get cleaned up. That was not a fun process (I can go very slowly at removing clothes, washing up with a not terribly comfortable temperature on the wash cloth, finding new clothes, putting them on) and it meant missing out on outside time.

When he gets it in the toilet, reward him with a very happy mommy - jump up and down, clap your hands, call him a big boy, laugh if that gets him excited! The beauty of potty training at 18 months is that they will do anything for that show! The battle of the wills isn't a big issue yet, and by the time it is an issue, they don't even remember not running to the toilet!

Good luck! I always thought potty training was fun! ;)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Um duh?
    How would you know if he was ready or not?
    I have never seen a child who out of the blue just up and started using the potty with no assistance or encouragement from anyone else.
    Geez.....

HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Yeah. My boys never said, "hey dad. I'm ready to potty train now." This might make me sound militaristic, but I'm the parent. My kids are not the ones to dictate when they eat, when they go to bed, etc. Potty training is not easy. But just like weight loss, you have to roll your sleeves up and bite the bullet. My mom had 12 kids. I'm #8 of 12. She decided when it was time for me to be ready, and there would be hell to pay if said otherwise.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound rude so I hope this doesn't come off this way.

But why does he think it's funny?
    Is there anybody in the house that makes a big deal out of it when he does it to make him think it's funny? Maybe your daughter?

My bosses daughter is 9 years old and still thinks it's funny to moon people because her brothers laughed and encouraged her every time she did it.

My boyfriend's niece is 10 years old and still thinks farting is a straight up riot because her dad makes a huge deal about it every time she does it and she likes the attention and thinks it's funny.

Point being that if he's getting any sort of special attention for using the bathroom in his pants and on the floor it could greatly slow down his potty training.
  • GreenGablesJes
    Options
    I was a nanny for 5 yrs and potty trained an 18mo boy and it was a success! we made a deal if he pee'd in the potty he would get 2 m&m's, and it worked! but then he didn't want to go poo in the potty. so if he went poo he would get 5 m&m's and that also worked! i would have him tell me the colors he wanted and count how many he had! especially since he had trouble pronouncing words. so it was like double potty training with a side of speech. i would also read a book with him while he was sitting on the potty. at first he didn't want to do anything, but then he ended up liking the fun quality potty time and soon enough he would shout "jekka, i go poopie" and we would run to his potty lol,